Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawakazi

What's an ITX?
Feb 10, 2016
Hey, I recently discovered this case when doing some research for my build on the M1. What I really like in the M1 is how every space in the box can be used for something, pretty much nothing is wasted.

And with this idea in mind I was wondering if you could design a SSD cage (for 1 or 2 classic sata SSD) tha could be mounted under the top of the case, above the CPU.

This could be usefull for people who WC their CPU, as the thermal exchange is deported to the side where the radiator is. And if you WC your CPU, you have some "empty space" right above it, and you dont need as much Airflow on top.

It would be a cage that you slide in place, like you slide the SSDs on the M1, or with similar "screws" than the one given in the Noctua's fan bundle. You could also do a slide mount on the rear

Now the question is, do you have enought space, wide wise, to put an "SSD cage" when the side bracket is closed, with the RAD + Fan. Maybe if you go slim fan + slim rad. Could be an accessory sold apart, because fits a niche need. Another spot I can think of is behind the door, under the red on/off button, in between the fan max height, and the PSU. If would'nt modify Airflow too much either, enven if SFX-L PSU.

Anywas, just my 2 cents. What I really like about the M1 is that even if you almost can not use all its possibility in one build, you still have the possibility to use some of them if you use this type of build, or this type, etc.. Would love that this case have the same possibilities.

Cheers.

(Sorry if I don't make myself really clear, english is not my native language).

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And with this idea in mind I was wondering if you could design a SSD cage (for 1 or 2 classic sata SSD) tha could be mounted under the top of the case, above the CPU.

If you wait a day, I think you'll be happy with what we've come up with for storage (among other things) ;)

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
Do you guys recommend overclocking on this case? With the M1 I was planing doing 120 radiators for each CPU and GPU. The builds I've seen of the Nova showcase space for a single 120 mm rad on CPU. I know with a single GPU I can do this, but my intention is to be able to do SLI in the future even if the second GPU is aricooled blower style only.

I'm planing this build for my VR rig so I would live to be able to squeeze as much power as possible in the smallest case possible. ( hope you guys kept that handle available)

Anxiously waiting for tomorrow. :)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are we nearly there yet?

Yep.

Do you guys recommend overclocking on this case? With the M1 I was planing doing 120 radiators for each CPU and GPU. The builds I've seen of the Nova showcase space for a single 120 mm rad on CPU. I know with a single GPU I can do this, but my intention is to be able to do SLI in the future even if the second GPU is aricooled blower style only.

Sure, you can overclock (and we'll provide guidance on the best way to do that tomorrow), it's just that your relative success will depend highly on the hardware you've installed. A midrange CPU on an AIO, and a GTX 980 with a standard blower cooler? You're good to go. An octa-core AMD part on a tower cooler, with twin open-air AMD flagships? You'll probably have a bit more of a challenge...

In general, components will be warmer than they would in a much larger enclosure, but that's inevitable for the most part. I think that most builds could be overclocked, though, if not to the more extreme ends of the performance spectrum.

All that said, the case will support a lot more than just a 120mm rad. Ever since the first prototype, 140mm rads have been supported on the side, for example... As I said to mawakazi, if you wait a day, I think you'll be pretty pleased with what you can do.

Anxiously waiting for tomorrow. :)

You and me both!

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
If you wait a day, I think you'll be happy with what we've come up with for storage (among other things) ;)

All that said, the case will support a lot more than just a 120mm rad. Ever since the first prototype, 140mm rads have been supported on the side, for example... As I said to mawakazi, if you wait a day, I think you'll be pretty pleased with what you can do.

Y-you mean we can have our cake and eat it too?

Horstprott

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
I stand corrected, I was an hour out. 11 behind me . still Ill be asleep in five hours that should help pass the time.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You missed that American Samoa is on the other side of the International Date Line from Samoa :p

Joking aside, it should be sometime tomorrow morning EST.

Reactions: Horstprott
Status
Not open for further replies.