Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Since Chimera was a combination, start with one of them maybe :)
I was thinking, since Kimera Nova is basically an explosion that occurs as the result of a combination, the natural next-step in terms of naming would the next-step of a star's life cycle.

So maybe something like Kimera Black Hole? :rolleyes:

Edit: Or if you want to stick with the theme of explosions, maybe Kimera Nuclear Fusion? Kimera Fusion?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If we're talking memes, I got another suggestion:

Kimera Doge !

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
My suggestion to you guys is, when you are 100% happy with your design:
1) flatten/unfold all parts
2) provisionally nest those parts on the sheet (for lasering), so you know exactly what you are using out of the sheet size you are advised to use
3) then if any spare room is left, use it for whatever parts.

Every company in the right mind will charge you for a full sheet or whatever "round" number you use, then they will sell the scrap and make money on it, so make sure you utilize your material to max.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That makes sense but what about the additional cost of forming and finishing those parts? I didn't think the raw sheet metal was a big enough chunk of the cost to be worth making additional parts just for the sake using the full sheet.

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
Even if you are to keep the flat bits without forming, when something goes wrong during forming, you have a spare. What I'm trying to say is that parts made out of that left over material are worth much more than that scrap.

Our company usually over-produces, in our case, reason being is possibility of things to go wrong. All depends of how big scale your production is going to be. Maybe in 10k + sets of parts it would be less practical to overproduce, but even then, if you don't need those parts, you can still throw them into scrap bin.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I guess I still don't quite get it. Wouldn't the manufacturer already try to fill out the sheet as much as possible?

It seems deliverable parts would be worth more than the bit of scrap from purposely not using the whole sheet.

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
Manufacturers will of course try to utilize the sheet but not always for your benefit.
It's entirely up to you what you are going to do with your steel in the end.

I will be making sure that I'm using every bit of sheet I buy, so that I throw as little as possible in the bin.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So say we're getting 250 cases made, what determines what gets laid out on each sheet? Is there software that tries to optimize the layout across the run or is it all figured out by hand?

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
So say we're getting 250 cases made, what determines what gets laid out on each sheet? Is there software that tries to optimize the layout across the run or is it all figured out by hand?
I was just speaking with a manufacturer in the US today and this question happened to come up. They said they have a software that does it, but it's not perfect so usually they have to tweak the results manually.

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
With such production it's a good idea to have one complete set of parts for one case coming of the machine. In ideal world you would want to use 1 sheet per 1 case (whatever size) as this makes production process easier. It allows to run one program regardless of quantity under current demand. Generally reduces CAD time. It's even very common to have "de-coiled" sheet to custom size to allow this. Manufacturers like to be able to repeat the process easily. This mainly concerns laser cutting and punching though.

Software is of course capable of utilizing the sheet to maximum, but it's not always the best.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We'll be using a mix of 20 gauge and 18 gauge and there will be more of some parts than complete cases like panels for color variants.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Got some powder coat samples in and man does the textured black look and feel nice:

Completely hides fingerprints too :)

Reactions: Vittra

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
At my work we exclusively use fine textured powder coats, I find it also looks less tacky then smooth powercoats imo. It looks really good, must have been hard to take a proper picture of :p.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, can't get away from the slight orange peel look with the smooth coats also. I used a macro lens so the picture was easy.

But even then it's hard to convey what it's like in a photo.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At my work we exclusively use fine textured powder coats
What vendor do you use? Tiger Drylac seems popular with sheet metal fabricators over here but I just came across the Axalta/Du Pont fine textured catalog and there's much more variety than what Tiger offers.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
What vendor do you use? Tiger Drylac seems popular with sheet metal fabricators over here but I just came across the Axalta/Du Pont fine textured catalog and there's much more variety than what Tiger offers.

Check prismaticpowders.com all the colors and textures you can imagine.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Check prismaticpowders.com all the colors and textures you can imagine.
I saw them but they seem to cater to people customizing their cars so I assume it's more expensive. Some of those metallic finishes do look nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.