Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The SSD was already in the top slot and I was curious how the drive would perform with the GPU right above it. I imagine most people would have the video card in the top slot.

I was amazed at how loud the HDD was. I haven't had a spinner in my own rig for over a year now and it was shocking how annoying it was. Usually this drive is in an enclosure with a fan that I only plug up every now and then for backups so I hadn't really noticed.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
7200rpm disks are rarily quiet, if not annoying. Some also have very loud stepper-motors. I have 6 WD Green 2TB (EARS and EZRX) drives in my NAS wihch is as far from my head as my Ncase M1. I can't hear them unless I start copying files from the NAS to itself (from another partition or I start a ZFS scrub operation. And even then it's a subdued low rattle one might mistake for being something outside. All inside this case, which is not the most soundproof.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm glad I've moved on from having "cold storage" in my main PC, with all my 3,5" disks placed into a NAS at Gbit speeds, there's one less thing to worry about. Those metal bricks, just like ODD's, need to leave the "standard PC kit".

Couldn't agree more. I'm convinced that most people don't need more than a terabyte or two of storage for media, anyway, and externalizing that onto a network is so cheap to do nowadays. Plus, it's safer (lower temperatures and less movement for the drives), just as easy to use on your computer, and easier still for any other device on your network to access the content.

With 4+ TB drives around, I just can't fathom who would absolutely need more than one HDD locally :rolleyes: But maybe I just have a limited imagination.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A slew of updates today!

First off, take a look at these:

James is currently putting the finishing touches on the rear plate system that Nova will be using. For the green, one can rear-mount an ATX power supply, and for the blue, you get the expected A/C inlet/fan mount/WC cutouts.

Fortunately, a tolerance issue we thought could prevent use of the FrozenQ reservoir has been mitigated, so - although we're waiting to confirm with FrozenQ - we expect that their M1 res will work!

Also, at the moment we've left the rear-mounting option as ATX only, but we wanted to hear from you guys as to why someone might want to rear mount a SFX unit, since we and others have proposed that in the past. We can very easily make a plate to support that, but when we've considered builds with a SFX unit in the back... well, it's almost always been just better to put it up in the front.

For the second update, I'm pleased to note that we've been in considerable communication with a few manufacturers, and have started to receive samples! This is mostly to do with looking at various paint colors and finishes, but it's a milestone that's indicative of how close we are now to manufacturing the final prototypes - which will of course be followed by the crowdfunding campaign and production run ;) We've been trying to maintain a good pace that isn't rushed but progresses quickly, and we're so far very happy with our speed.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll share pics once we have some paint chips in our hands, but if there are any colors you'd like to have up for consideration, feel free to voice out on that now!

Finally, I've just thrown up a new post on the KI blog today, but rather than talking about Nova, it's a write-up on the work we've been doing behind the scenes to build up Kimera Industries into the business and legal entity that will see Nova through to production.

When you have community projects, startups, and similar things, you don't tend to hear about all the legwork that had to be done to make all of that possible. Yet, it's all really important in realizing products and projects such as Nova, and I worry that it can act as a barrier that prevents some from realizing their idea. So, I wanted to shine a light on the research and work I did, and share some of the knowledge and documentation that we've got, if only to help out those who are a bit overwhelmed by it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Also, at the moment we've left the rear-mounting option as ATX only, but we wanted to hear from you guys as to why someone might want to rear mount a SFX unit, since we and others have proposed that in the past. We can very easily make a plate to support that, but when we've considered builds with a SFX unit in the back... well, it's almost always been just better to put it up in the front.
With most SFX PSU's, a ATX to SFX bracket is included, although often "ugly grey potmetal". So if you'd figure it would be very rare somebody would place their SFX PSU there, maybe it's not worth the effort and price. There are also ones made from aluminium:

But if you MUST make them, because it's so incredibly cheap and easy, I'd say make one with a PCI bracket on it. Why ? That Intel SSD 750 might be less toastier located there, with the use a PCIe extender ofcourse. Or how about an extra 2,5" drive ? Or other various ports that you could add in that possibly unused space (when using low profile cooling.)

Anyway, I'm sure we'll share pics once we have some paint chips in our hands, but if there are any colors you'd like to have up for consideration, feel free to voice out on that now!
Black, white and silver are the obvious choices, but I like the "prototype blue" too, along with a supercar orange tint:

And if possible, offer seperate panel kits. Even with the monochromatic Ncase M1, people were often asking about including panel kits.

Finally, I've just thrown up a new post on the KI blog today, but rather than talking about Nova, it's a write-up on the work we've been doing behind the scenes to build up Kimera Industries into the business and legal entity that will see Nova through to production.
Wow, amazing work ! I've read about 1/3rd of it, even though I'm not very interested, it's amazing you took your time with this. I tip my hat to you, sir !

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
But if you MUST make them, because it's so incredibly cheap and easy, I'd say make one with a PCI bracket on it. Why ? That Intel SSD 750 might be less toastier located there, with the use a PCIe extender ofcourse. Or how about an extra 2,5" drive ? Or other various ports that you could add in that possibly unused space (when using low profile cooling.)
That's a good idea if we do make SFX plates. We're trying to avoid it unless people actually want it though, there's currently 9-10 brackets and plates as it is :p

Black, white and silver are the obvious choices, but I like the "prototype blue" too, along with a supercar orange tint:
Black, white, red, and blue are for sure. Dark grey/gunmetal and purple are under consideration. Silver and orange are good ideas.

We can't offer too many choices because it makes the logistics too complicated so we'll have a poll of the suggestions to narrow it down.

And if possible, offer seperate panel kits. Even with the monochromatic Ncase M1, people were often asking about including panel kits.
That's the plan.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Excellent :) Now that I think about it, is it possible to have a bare metal finish, too ?

Something like this:

It could replace "silver" and also be sold as "unpainted" for the people that will airbrush or paint it themselves.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Excellent :) Now that I think about it, is it possible to have a bare metal finish, too ?
There would have to be two different finishes for that though, it's steel so corrosion is a problem so unpainted entirely would be easy but otherwise it'd need a clear coat.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It would look awesome I'd guess, maybe also a unique selling point as I have yet to see this on a case that's not on a per-request basis. It's your product after all but I'm more inclined towards "raw" materials due to the timelessness.

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015

Great read. As I've only ever visited the States as a tourist, I had no idea about business on your side of the pond. $50 to register a company seems a very low barrier to starting your own. In principle it's a similar low price in the Netherlands to register at the Chamber of Commerce. However, we are required by law to have all legal agreements arranged by a notary, and their hourly rates can add up quickly.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It would look awesome I'd guess, maybe also a unique selling point as I have yet to see this on a case that's not on a per-request basis. It's your product after all but I'm more inclined towards "raw" materials due to the timelessness.

Unlike paint colors, which would have setup costs (and thus MOQs), raw cases would only require greater logistics to handle the additional SKU. So of all the variants to add, it would probably be the simplest. We just don't have a sense of what's possible there until we've entered an agreement with a particular manufacturer.

Wow, amazing work ! I've read about 1/3rd of it, even though I'm not very interested, it's amazing you took your time with this. I tip my hat to you, sir !

Great read. As I've only ever visited the States as a tourist, I had no idea about business on your side of the pond. $50 to register a company seems a very low barrier to starting your own. In principle it's a similar low price in the Netherlands to register at the Chamber of Commerce. However, we are required by law to have all legal agreements arranged by a notary, and their hourly rates can add up quickly.

Well, the fee structure is usually low, but it is pretty high in some states, and the fact that each state is different makes it really complicated to form if you're new to it all. Which is why I wanted to publish what I did - writing a ~4k-word blog post took a while, but it took way more time and effort to do everything for KI in the best way possible. I can totally see how the time and dollar cost (including hiring professional help) would flat-out stop some projects from taking off. And I really, really don't want that to happen. So, sharing what I know is a simple way to help those who don't necessarily have the time and resources that we do.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Great read. As I've only ever visited the States as a tourist, I had no idea about business on your side of the pond. $50 to register a company seems a very low barrier to starting your own.
I was really surprised by how quickly the paperwork went through. We got an email with the approval from the Secretary of State within just a few hours after filing.

BTW, any suggestions for water cooling in Nova? I'm a complete custom loop noob so I'm not sure if there are any easy tweaks I could do to make it more water cooling friendly.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Well I would say the same as you did with the front, the sliding rails, it allows a lot more flexibility in getting the right height for components. Try and use those where possible.

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
A small system is never going to be really water cooling friendly unless you design it to be used exclusively with a particular set of components. There are too many choices for blocks, radiators, fans, pumps and reservoirs to make a small case flexible in a general way. Compact Splash or QinX's system - those excel at water if you accept a limited set of possible components.

But you know, before the NCase M1 came out I was really doubtful that it could be used for water-cooling at all. In comparison to Compact Splash it seemed like the M1 would only be good with AIOs like the Corsair H100. Even when Necere added water-cooling components and tubing to his SketchUp file, I thought most people wouldn't be able to easily route the tubing behind the removable fan bracket. Then he tried a simple loop on his prototype with an H220, so presenting a blueprint for the rest of us. As people starting building their rigs, you saw an ongoing development of ideas. And now if you look back there are all kinds of novel solutions for custom loops in the M1.

Best is maybe to make sure a selection of the most popular and reasonably priced radiators can be fitted. Then make sure there is space for the pump/res, even if it's tight. Then maybe try building it yourself on the prototype.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Best is maybe to make sure a selection of the most popular and reasonably priced radiators can be fitted. Then make sure there is space for the pump/res, even if it's tight. Then maybe try building it yourself on the prototype.
Rads aren't too bad, though width is constrained. Main issue is res and pump but I'm sure people will find strange and creative ways to do it.

I'm still amazed people are fitting dual 240mm rads in the M1.

Any suggestions for pumps? I was looking at this compact EK combo unit: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-d5/ek-xres-100-d5-pwm-incl-pump.html

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
The EK one is pretty small, but the Alphacool DC-LT is much smaller. Strong enough for CPU+GPU and a single rad. (although quite loud I've heard)
http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p1059_Alphacool-DC-LT-Ceramic---12V-DC-Pro-AGB.html

Ah, just noticed you linked the D5 pump combo. Generally D5s are quieter than DDC pumps, but if you use a decoupling mount then the latter can be acceptable. http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs...ddc/ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3-2-pwm-incl-pump.html

Lastly, I've seen a couple people put SBAY into NCase M1s. Tricky to install and fill, but can fit on the case floor if there's an extra slot. http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-ddc/ek-sbay-ddc-3-2-pwm-incl-pump.html

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wow, that is tiny. Now if only they would provide dimensioned drawings of these things.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've got some samples from alphacool for the DC-LT, do you want dimensions for that? Or do you mean the SBAY, it should be 5,25" width and 1 slot high. Depth is a questionmark.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you have dimensions of the DC-LT that'd be great. It looks small enough to fit but I want to double-check.

Status
Not open for further replies.