Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
We use Du Pont powder coatings, but we do have some specific ones as well (Light grey fine textured with reflective flakes mixed in), I'm not sure if those are from Du Pont

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks. They have pretty much any color anyone would want so if we need anything beyond the basics I'll take a look at them.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
I saw them but they seem to cater to people customizing their cars so I assume it's more expensive. Some of those metallic finishes do look nice though.

No, it's not just for car powder coating. Pricing seems to be inline with other's offerings.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No, it's not just for car powder coating. Pricing seems to be inline with other's offerings.
Came across this: http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2013/08/where-to-buy-powder.html

Apparently Prismatic Powders is the retail division of NIC Industries, who also make Cerakote. So pricing is probably very good compared to other retail outlets but I imagine it's not compared to the other industrial suppliers. But it comes down to who much you need I guess, for something like your case it's fine.

Nova/Habanero will be produced at a closer scale to the M1 than the Compact Splash so I've been looking at industrial suppliers. But I may get a one-off bright metallic blue for myself :D

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
If I recall correctly, CaseLabs had directed me to Prismatic Powders when I was investigating a custom colour option for an S3.
How about House of Kolor? Apparently they are a division of Valspar Corporation.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks. We've got the basic colors almost figured out but in case there's demand I want a list of vendors I can ring up and ask for samples of more interesting color options.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just got the paint samples in the mail that Aiboh inspected a few days ago :D
I know that he was eager to show off the black, but to me, the most impressive color was definitely the red ;)

Reactions: QinX

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Yeah, reds more striking of the two, but the black is a neutral canvas to work with.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Just got the paint samples in the mail that Aiboh inspected a few days ago :D
I know that he was eager to show off the black, but to me, the most impressive color was definitely the red ;)

That is a very nice and deep red. Perhaps in stead of going with Black you could go with a slightly more Grey color?
I've got a sample sheet from Alesta Powder coatings (DuPont). Picture quality isn't amazing though :p, but should give you a good general idea

Edit:
If you would like some accurate renders of the powder coating, I've done extensive testing for work to get the desired finish of fine textured coatings, I could render a bunch or colors for your case if you'd like, just shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you would like some accurate renders of the powder coating, I've done extensive testing for work to get the desired finish of fine textured coatings, I could render a bunch or colors for your case if you'd like, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the offer! We'll keep that in mind, and very much appreciate it :D

In unrelated news... first it was CaseLabs, and now it's BitFenix... Seems like it's a good thing that we're changing the name of the case, huh? :p

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
As if we won't get enough comparisons to the M1 as it is :p

We've finally decided on a name, not space related, but it fits in well with the case so I think you guys will like it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
As if we won't get enough comparisons to the M1 as it is :p

We've finally decided on a name, not space related, but it fits in well with the case so I think you guys will like it.
This case will always live in my heart as the Kimera Habanero. Maybe as a project name ? ;)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This case will always live in my heart as the Kimera Habanero. Maybe as a project name ? ;)
Sure beats "Compact mATX Computer Case Project" that I had been using up until deciding on Nova.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Kimera Naga Jolokia ? I once ruined a pizza with a few small flakes of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.