Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Will there be filters for the vents on the case?

Probably not, but let me explain why, because at face value that will come off as lame and very cheap of us (or at least, it would to me).

Take a look at the original prototype for Nova:

Aiboh had some custom Demciflex filters made for the front and side, which were of an unusual size because they covered the entire area. But the main thing to notice in this image (which the filters accentuate) is the fact that there are actually a lot of ways to arrange components and fans across the various vents. The side panel can have multiple sizes of fans/radiators, the front can hold a variety of power supplies and fans and radiators at various locations, and the bottom can do all of that and then some.

Furthermore, the final design for Nova incorporates some changes to the vents that provide even more configurations for end users. The sheer quantity of possible hardware configurations is simply massive! Which is a good thing, but in terms of filters, it left us with four options:

1. Provide filters for all potential use cases, which would require that we include many, many filters with each case. This would greatly increase the cost (and thus the price) of Nova, and would leave pretty much everyone with a bunch of filters they can't use.
  2. Provide filters for perhaps a handful of use cases (say, a few 120mm and an 80mm, or some such collection). This wouldn't cost as much as the first option, and some people would have everything they need, but most would still need to buy filters anyway, and many of those people wouldn't use some of the ones we included.
  3. Do a batch order of custom ones that fully cover all the vents, like those pictured above. This would be ideal, but would cost even more than the first option, even though many people would't want it.
  4. Don't include any filters at all, and let users get the filters they need for themselves. This certainly isn't convenient, but it doesn't leave people with a bunch of extra filters, and it means we can keep the cost of an already-pricey computer case as low (and accessible) as possible.
Across those four possible paths, we've been leaning heavily towards the fourth option, because passing along savings to the buyer and empowering them to buy only the filters they need comes off to us as the best option for everyone. We can't realistically achieve the sort of economies of scale where the savings of our buying power exceeds the cost of inefficiently distributing filters to buyers, so the next best thing is to cut us out of that "transaction" entirely.

...All of that said, though, I'm actually curious as to how you all feel about our thinking on this. Do you think our reasoning is sound, or does the idea of not including filters upset you? Or maybe you sit somewhere in between (a place we've been at for some time on this subject).

Reactions: Shawn Faherty

Hoyas

Efficiency Noob
Dec 12, 2015
ok, im fine with option 3 or 4.

priority is the release of the case then settle the filters later

Thanks!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Provide a kit with filter material, a sheet of magnetic material, and glue? :p

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Hold on...why did you consider 1 or 2 as an alternative to 3?

If you install a filter just for a particular fan slot, surely the frame leaves bit of a gap which increases dust infiltration? And what's the disadvantage of leaving filter material over a "blank" spot or a solid plate?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'd either go with provide filters with the case or have a set that can be ordered separately.
With the crowdfunding you can have a tier that people can choose to get a set of filters.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Demciflex filters are very nice but they're a bit expensive so that's why we almost certainly won't offer those as a default option.

I'm thinking we can design and test custom ones and then they can stock it on the Demcifilter store for anyone who wants one, like how NCASE did it.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Jup, QinX is on the right track. Don't include any filters by default, but make the ones that cover the whole intake an optional accessory. Even if people decide they want some later down the line, filters are very flat so you can ship them internationally in a padded envelope, which reduces shipping costs and keeps the entry cost low for everyone who doesn't want/need filters.

Maybe you could try to find out how the LianLi Filters are made, those seem to be way easier and cheaper to manufacture (basically two strips of magnetic tape and thin, flexible mesh cut to the right size):

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Demciflex filters are very nice but they're a bit expensive so that's why we almost certainly won't offer those as a default option.
The Demciflex filters are extremely restrictive and the other disadvantage of this is that they deform/stretch easily while cleaning, which because of the restrictive nature needs to happen often. 3 out of the 4 120mm filters I have touch the fans, so you'd need the very un-SFF thing of adding a finger guard. Even while being this restrictive (again), after a year, dust still found it's way into the case. Just very fine dust.

Ncase went with a new type of filter which they included with their steel fan-bracket, which is a much better balance of filtering and airflow, while looking very sturdy and sleek. The Demciflex look too plasticky and gimmicky to me.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I use an Atx psu, can I fit a 240 in the front and a 240 in the bottom, with dual gpus, both watercooled?
Is it possible to mount a sfx psu the same way the atx psu is mounted?

It is theoretically possible to have two 240mm radiators - the challenge will be handling tubing, and having enough clearance at the bottom-front of the case (where the two radiators would intersect). But we've played around with hardware and the digital model, and have demonstrated that it's possible when you take your time with selecting radiators and fans.

(I swear that Aiboh has an image illustrating this someplace, but I couldn't find it - perhaps he can locate it :p)

Are you still planning on having the cases made in the US?

Absolutely. We've had our manufacturer selected for some time now - what's held us back are specific parts to be assembled, such as the I/O, since those are made by other fabricators and are then installed.

We've been pursuing various options, but I can assure you that custom filters that cover the whole vent surfaces will cost much more than "a few dollars" :p And trying to make a selection of standard-size fans will just bring us back to the problems I outlined earlier.

We haven't decided on this yet, but at the moment I'd say you should expect to BYOF, and pay a little less for the case than you otherwise would have :thumb:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Outer would be something like:

Side: 136 x 260

Front: 140 x 250

Bottom: 140 x 290

all in mm.

Bottom is tricky because the feet are in the way so the corners would need notched. Dimensions are subject to change to please don't run out and order custom filters.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And I'm not sure what happened to my picture, but the problem with dual 240mm rads is there isn't room for 25mm thick fans all around. The lower fan on the front rad will probably have to be a slim fan.

And you could do a SFX where the ATX PSU goes but you'll need an adapter plate. That layout is basically Project mATX though: http://www.overclock.net/t/1580191/project-matx-artisan-page-cases-shipping/0_20

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is it possible to mount a sfx psu the same way the atx psu is mounted?

You could do a SFX where the ATX PSU goes but you'll need an adapter plate.

Even if you're doing this (mounting SFX in the rear) so as to maximize radiator space, I'd highly recommend keeping the SFX power supply at the front, putting a 240mm on the bottom, and a thick 140mm on the side. Performance-wise, a thicker 140mm radiator will be pretty equivalent to a thin 240mm one that necessitates using a thin fan - and tubing should be a bit more manageable as well.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
Thinking about it, i'm probably going to put a single 140mm rad and use an external rad on quick disconnects for the rest.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
And I'm not sure what happened to my picture, but the problem with dual 240mm rads is there isn't room for 25mm thick fans all around. The lower fan on the front rad will probably have to be a slim fan.

And you could do a SFX where the ATX PSU goes but you'll need an adapter plate. That layout is basically Project mATX though: http://www.overclock.net/t/1580191/project-matx-artisan-page-cases-shipping/0_20

Thinking about it, i'm probably going to put a single 140mm rad and use an external rad on quick disconnects for the rest.

Since Aibohphobia mentioned it, I would encourage you to check out my case at the link he posted. You can fit three 240mm radiators in under 20L of space in my case. Might be closer to what you're looking for if you want to water cool since Project Nova is more designed around air cooling and AIOs.

-Jeffinslaw

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Once your own case build is complete you really should post it on reddit and such. It's sad that only 8 have shipped so far :(

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Since Aibohphobia mentioned it, I would encourage you to check out my case at the link he posted.

If you're going for a sub-20L WC monster above all else, he's right, you really should take a look at his enclosure. It's basically designed for that precise use case!

Once your own case build is complete you really should post it on reddit and such. It's sad that only 8 have shipped so far :(

I second this!

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015

7* :( and I do plan on doing that. Just waiting for the custom cables. May just whip up a quick set of all black wire for visual doneness for final pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.