Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
I took at look at that case, and it's a cool case.
But, it has some issues that the exNova doesn't, like fan filters and such.
Really good looking case though.
All these Independent cases make me soo damn happy.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We're going to wait to prototype and finalize it once it's clear the campaign will be successful.

Hammerdin

What's an ITX?
Feb 1, 2016
I thought you guys might enjoy this, its a sketchup i made of a few cases ive almost purchased while impatiently waiting for the "nova".

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, just goes to show you how stupidly big the 350D is.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I thought you guys might enjoy this, its a sketchup i made of a few cases ive almost purchased while impatiently waiting for the "nova".
Nice one ! I have already given in and bought a few cases, one for my NUC and one for my spare parts. Both are awfully inefficiently large cases.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
regarding filters, check out this material: http://www.mcmaster.com/#9641t14/=10yi5te

i did a huge amount of research when i was building a watercooled behemoth and found that the intake filters were the weakest link in the design. critical characteristics of filter materials are: percent open area, opening size, aerodynamics, and durability. demciflex filters are pretty low % open area, i.e. high restriction, and poor durability. this epoxy coated wire stuff is 62% open area (great), high durability, and hole size is small enough to block most household dust. woven wire has a good aerodynamic cross section, as opposed to something like the perforated sheet in the ncase m1.

definitely the filter material i'll be using on my nova build.

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
You can count me in as another backer when the Kickstarter is up. I just hope it's going to be soon. I was torn between this and the 20L Project mATX, but the slight change to have both ATX PSU and front radiator really won me over.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
probably magnetically, by making a rectangle of nonadhesive magnetic strips and gluing the filter to the strips with something like silicone caulk-- essentially a DIY demci filter. or i may just glue the filter straight onto the side panel with caulk if thickness is an issue or if the strip doesn't hold securely enough. the nice thing about using silicone is that it peels off cleanly if you ever have to remove it. this stuff is vacuum/compressed air cleanable, though, so that shouldn't ever be necessary.

*edit: i should add that the filter material would be on the inside of the side panel, so none of this would be visible. on the bottom, it would just be sandwiched in place underneath the fans.

another option, if you're adding adhesive acoustic damping material to the inside of the panels, is to just use that to hold down the filter mesh.

Last edited:

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
You can count me in as another backer when the Kickstarter is up. I just hope it's going to be soon. I was torn between this and the 20L Project mATX, but the slight change to have both ATX PSU and front radiator really won me over.

Darn! Well I hope you enjoy the Nova :) it will be a pretty stellar case from what we've all seen.

-Jeffinslaw

jimshaly

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2016
If I'm simply lazy, I apologize, but fishing through this thread is proving difficult for me. Is there a currently updated list of the specs of the case? I've been super excited for Nova since I found out about it last fall, and have been planning a second machine, as well as upgrading my primary machine, around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.