Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Sep 19, 2015
So I have an idea of what to test fit, what kind of builds are you guys planning on doing in the case?
I've been watching this build for a while and I'm ready to secure an order.
Case: REDACTED
Single nVidia GeForce card full size with a large amount of memory
PCI-Express Intel SSD main drive
SATA Intel SSD send drive
PSU largest that will fit and be stable
CPU: LGA 1151 4 or 8 core

Possible addons:
PCI-Express Blackmagic Intensity Pro Internal Capture Card

Can't wait, lets get this built. Going to be running high resolution outputs to projectors and tvs for live performances.

~Shawn
(Melrose, MA USA)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Video card will depend on the specific model.

If you're traveling with the case a lot I wouldn't recommend getting a really large and heavy PSU. 1151 isn't that power hungry so even a 450W SFX should be able to handle that and any single Nvidia GPU.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
At the first glance at the pic in #291 it appeared to me the side-bent lip of the front panel was not flush with the side panel, now looking at #297 I'm glad it was just the round corner and its gradated shadow deceiving my eyes. Pretty exciting Nova is coming to a reality.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Well, with my cooling woes in my Jonsbo, I'm now looking at cases this size. do really want now!

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Sep 19, 2015
Video card will depend on the specific model.

If you're traveling with the case a lot I wouldn't recommend getting a really large and heavy PSU. 1151 isn't that power hungry so even a 450W SFX should be able to handle that and any single Nvidia GPU.

What about a card like this which has a requirement of 600W?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125787
Imagine it pushing a resolution of 4096 x 2160 over multiple monitors/projectors.
I never overclock hardware but want the stock unit to run as fast as it can when needed.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What about a card like this which has a requirement of 600W?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125787
Imagine it pushing a resolution of 4096 x 2160 over multiple monitors/projectors.
I never overclock hardware but want the stock unit to run as fast as it can when needed.

GPU manufacturers provide arbitrarily high power recommendations and requirements because they want to be certain that all reasonable - if not possible - builds with their cards won't be starved for energy. That includes overclocked cards, cards paired with power-hungry components, cards with massive quantities of PCI devices and storage, cards paired with vastly over-rated power supplies... and so on.

The actual power consumption of most graphics as measured empirically tends to be at the reported TDP (perhaps a bit higher with some cards) in most conditions (hotboxes notwithstanding). So if you pick a solid PSU, and do the math with accurate figures for all of your components, you'll discover that 500W and 600W power supplies work well with the great majority of builds.

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Sep 19, 2015
Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The SilverStone SX600-G fits just fine and will power even a 5930K and SLI GTX 980s, though at stock clocks. The longer SFX-L units fit though it's tight with a long video card in the top slot.

Pretty much any length ATX PSU will fit mounted to the rear but the longer and heavier the unit, the more torque it will put on the rear plate. I tested the SilverStone ST1000-G, which is a 180mm modular, gold-rated PSU, and it fit just fine. It's hefty, though there are certainly much heavier units, and the mounting seemed solid enough. I wouldn't want to fly with it in checked luggage. For production, the ATX plate will come with a little bracket that attaches to the side bracket to support the front of the PSU, which should help.

Reactions: Shawn Faherty

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Nice link. Here are my results from the setup I'm looking for:
Load Wattage: 397 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 447 W

450W PSU fits, but back to the REDACTED case, what are some of the larger units that will fit?
I see a lot of builds using the Silverstone SFX-600
http://***********/pbssyhr

I would want a little bit more headroom than 50w there - a 500w PSU would be my recommendation in your system :) - a PSU running at 50w below max would run at full fan speed (noise) most likely!

Reactions: Shawn Faherty

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
A few reasons, dont think a full length card will fit with with the predator up front, the 500w SFX-L is supposed to be quieter than its SFX brethren finally i dont need the power of a pair of 980ti's

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
i7-6700K, Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE, 32GB ddr4, 950 PRO SDD, EK Predator, 2*970 ITX and a Silverstone 500 SFX-L

That should work, though the Predator on front will be a very close fit. Not sure I'd recommend dual ITX cards in a non-spaced configuration. The 970s don't generate that much heat but the ITX models have smaller heatsinks and I suspect the top card will run pretty hot.

Any chance of some more teasers?

This is the Alphacool ST30. It's a close fit with reference length GTX 980s but the cards can be removed and installed without removing the radiator.

^Why not go for 2*980ti with the Silverstone 600w?

That would be pushing it, I'd go for the SX700-LPT for SLI 980Ti's.

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Sep 19, 2015
But I'm more concerned with noise than performance so even if I wasn't power limited I wouldn't overclock. At stock clocks my 5930K is surprisingly coolable, I have the Noctua L9x65 on it with a 92x25mm fan on it and even running light 3D renders it doesn't get very loud.

Found your post on Tech Power Up. I'm in the same boat here. I don't want to push my components and having them run stable, quiet, cool and long lasting is where I want to be. Let's get this case built. When are you taking orders?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

This is the Alphacool ST30. It's a close fit with reference length GTX 980s but the cards can be removed and installed without removing the radiator.
Wow nice to see a build that could be very popular to fit without issue.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nope, just that it won't be launched before Q4 2015, I'd expect it to be Q1 and more likely Q2 2016 that we'll be able to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.