Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Hi Parge, seen some of your posts on Bit-Tech, glad to have here.

The Kraken G10 doesn't look that short, from pics it seems about as thick as a normal double-slot cooler. Both rads may just barely fit on the bottom. It'll require 15mm thick fans but even then it'll be a really tight fit between the video card and the rad/fan.

You are right of course - its actually double thick - but the double thick part sticks right out the far side of the card - plus, the board I intend to use (the Gene V) only uses the top 4 PCIe slots for the GPUs (bad for air cooling, good for this) - so I'm hoping that might help me out.

Putting them both on the bottom wouldn't be the only way to do this, either - You could put one radiator on the side bracket (if using a relatively shallow air CPU cooler), for example. Or, you could put one radiator on the front, below a SFX power supply.
(And if you're going the rear-mounted ATX route, you'd have the whole front of the case open for mounting hardware.)

The bottom mounts will include rails.

Great news on the bottom mounts being rails!

I've certainly considered 120s on the side and the front! GPU cooling is far more important than CPU cooling nowadays. Remember the years on the Tuniq Tower, and the TRUE 120 - nowadays its all about whether the Asus Strix is better than the Windforce 3X.

This is very exciting guys. Cannot wait to hear more in the coming weeks.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
If you have dimensions of the DC-LT that'd be great. It looks small enough to fit but I want to double-check.

Woops, talk about being late with giving dimensions. Here it is:

If you use their default pump top then the total height without any fittings is 10.15+25=35.15mm

If you want I can send you the .STP CAD file I made let me know.

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks, better late than never :p

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Woops, talk about being late with giving dimensions. Here it is...

Look at that tiny thing! :D

Have you used it? I'm curious as to how good the noise, pressure and flow all are for something that size.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Congrats! Let's hope this is the start of more websites mentioned Nova-00, that gives some excellent exposure!
Look at that tiny thing! :D
Have you used it? I'm curious as to how good the noise, pressure and flow all are for something that size.
I have used it and I've decided not to use it because of the subpar quality. It made a lot of noise for me, if you over-tighten the screws the pump start grinding against the pump top. Overall I'm not impressed. Flow was decent considering the size, but I wouldn't recommend it for a CPU+GPU loop. It has potential but they need to make a V2 that fixes some of the problems.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice, you got the prototype featured :D That alone is awesome !
Now there is certainly going to demand for a blue version with the red button :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've read not all "high-end" pumps are a good choice, some seem to make more noise and have reduced reliability than others. Can someone elaborate on this ?

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
That's a complicated question. All pumps emit some noise, no matter what. Depending on the size of your case and how much ventilation (perforations) it has, it can be completely muted (Fractal R5), fairly quiet (TJ08E) or always present (M1). Beyond this, many different things can be a factor to noise. Too much flow/pressure relative to the components and restriction in a loop can cause a cyclone effect. Air in the loop can make a pump sound much louder than a properly bled loop - the difference can be drastic. Same problem if the pump is vibrating against metal vs if it is properly decoupled so those vibrations can be absorbed.

The other noise factor is pump speed. When it comes to the DDC pump, you have two main types - a lesser performing/slower operating MCP 350, and the higher performance/higher rpm MCP 355. The latter will perform better, but emit more noise, naturally. It's running at higher RPM. You've also got the PWM version which will allow you to more easily tailor the speed to your particular loop. You may only need your pump running at around 1400-1500 rpm if you've just cooling a cpu and single gpu, and none of the components are particularly restrictive. Adjusting RPM can be crucial to managing noise levels.

The D5 is a larger pump with a larger motor. Running at lower RPM, it can provide similar performance to the DDC (flow), but at a lower dB. The DDC traditionally wins on head pressure compared to it's larger sibling, though from what I recall it's relatively close. The D5 Vario has a 5 speed analog switch that will allow you to set the speed and manage the flow/sound balance. D5 PWM (outside of the Aquacomputer one) is relatively new and from my understanding if plugged in incorrectly the tacho meter will burn out. All D5's are affected, including the Aquacomputer ones that are for Aquabus/Aquaero use. Have to be careful with them.

With respect to reliability, DDC (MCP 350/355) and D5 (MCP 665) pumps are both considered reliable, and many would argue the best both in terms of reliability and performance. This is why you see them so widespread. I have noted that some people consider the MCP 355 as less reliable due to running at a consistently higher speed (thus wattage and generation of heat is higher), however if you ensure the pump remains cool (heatsink, airflow over it, etc) it should not be any worse than the slower running variant.

The Eheim pumps I have only done a small amount of research on. With widespread availability of the Laing options, they have fallen out of favour both for reliability and performance reasons. They are also larger, and require specific connectors as they are not G 1/4.

I forget who makes the EK DCP pumps, but couldn't really tell you how reliable they anyway. Swiftech makes use of DDC and D5 pumps, but they have made a custom pump solution for the H220X.

I quite like Dazmode's store section for pumps as he takes great effort to clearly lay out which pumps are what model. Please note "Darkside" is his own branding/product line, in case you were wondering.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/category/bare_pumps/

Last edited:

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Looks like your case is getting quite a bit of attention. Paul's latest video features it at 8:48 when talking about reference vs custom graphics card.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Look Ma, I'm on TV!

That's great, I actually had the video open in a tab to watch but hadn't got to it yet :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's awesome to see your prototype case amongst established industry giants !

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
While we're waiting, can I ask, how much space there is between the bottom of a standard mATX motherboard and the case floor? Just thinking about rads/fans etc.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
About 38mm. But the fan mounts are offset away from the motherboard so there's really more room than that for radiator + fan.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Sorry, I meant how you find out where your case is mentioned. That article on PC world, for example. And what about the video where a picture of your build was just briefly shown? Did they contact you beforehand?

Status
Not open for further replies.