News Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX RTX 4060 Low Profile

Gigabyte is creating an RTX 4060 low-profile card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/g...-be-the-first-low-profile-ada-lovelace-design

3 fans, single 8-pin, 2 slots.

Pie in the sky, but would love to see an RTX 4060ti (or more crazy RTX 4070) model at some point.

___

16/01/2023 Addendum

ASUS now has a 4060 Low Profile card.
188mm, triple fan.

___

19/04/2024 Addendum

Galax has a card
182mm, triple fan, but the PCIE cable is at the front which will affect clearance without a custom solution.
Will advise to look for something slightly bigger

Cases these will fit into (double check before you buy, not everything is available):

Lenovo P3/P360 ULTRA - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)/Adapter Needed
ZS A4DC V3 - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)
ZS D2 (D Config) - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Gemcase C9 - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Lone Industries L5 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod SL3 STL 4.8L Rev.1 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto - 185mm** (Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto+ - 185mm** Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
ZS D2 V2 - 186mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod Case MINI LP edit. - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
J-Hack Pure MK2 - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Lazer3D HT5 - 194mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Lazer3D Cravo - 195mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
CAPTAIN CASE V9 - 208mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
REVOCCASES N0RDR1 Nano EVO - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish 2 Plus - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
LZmod A24-V5 V2.0 - 220mm- Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML03 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML04 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish G5 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Bug C1 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
SKTC A10 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Silverstone Milo ML11 - 272mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
It seems easier than ever to flash Nvidia bios using the nvflashk utility, I think. Just need a modded bios first, with upped power limit... (or possibly the bios from another 4060 model).
I haven’t been able to yet, happy to be pointed in the right direction on how to flash a 4060LP and I’ll give it a whirl at 138W

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I haven’t been able to yet, happy to be pointed in the right direction on how to flash a 4060LP and I’ll give it a whirl at 138W

I don't have any experience with bios modding/flashing unfortunately. I just read some news that a back door was recently discovered that made it possible to flash any bios out there on Nvidia cards using that utility I mentioned. Maybe someone who has experience with it will see this and reply.

Perhaps a zero fan rpm option could also be useful (if the card's heatsink is enough) for this card, aside from the power limit.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I don't have any experience with bios modding/flashing unfortunately. I just read some news that a back door was recently discovered that made it possible to flash any bios out there on Nvidia cards using that utility I mentioned. Maybe someone who has experience with it will see this and reply.

Perhaps a zero fan rpm option could also be useful (if the card's heatsink is enough) for this card, aside from the power limit.
I had a try with the 'latest and greatest' nVidia flash tool and didn't get past step 1. I've previously crossflashed plenty of cards (both AMD and nVidia) but wasn't having any luck. If anyone does know how to manage it, I'm very interested :)

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I had a try with the 'latest and greatest' nVidia flash tool and didn't get past step 1. I've previously crossflashed plenty of cards (both AMD and nVidia) but wasn't having any luck. If anyone does know how to manage it, I'm very interested :)
Scratch that, I've managed to successfully crossflash the quiet VBIOS and overclocked VBIOS from another Gigabyte card.

It's hard to tell how well it works as the RTX4060 power measurement is fairly bogus at best, but with the +13% set in Afterburner HWInfo shows 130W usage at full tilt compared to 115W with the stock LP VBIOS.

But - GREAT NEWS --> FAN STOP / Zero RPM Fan mode WORKS !!

I've also managed a slightly higher TimeSpy Graphics score at 11,705 when paired with the same hardware as before.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Scratch that, I've managed to successfully crossflash the quiet VBIOS and overclocked VBIOS from another Gigabyte card.

It's hard to tell how well it works as the RTX4060 power measurement is fairly bogus at best, but with the +13% set in Afterburner HWInfo shows 130W usage at full tilt compared to 115W with the stock LP VBIOS.

But - GREAT NEWS --> FAN STOP / Zero RPM Fan mode WORKS !!

I've also managed a slightly higher TimeSpy Graphics score at 11,705 when paired with the same hardware as before.
Very cool, does the fan stop just work after flash or does it require some Gigabyte software to enable?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021

Best result yet (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/44556571), marginal improvement but getting better each time.

Gigabyte RTX 4060 Low Profile using STOCK cooling |
Cross-flashed to Gigabyte RTX4060 Gaming OC |

***AFTERBURNER SETTINGS***
Power at 113% / Fan at 100% |
VF Curve adjusted to 1045mV / 2955MHz |
VMEM overclocked +1575MHz |

|| REVOCCASES RCC-SMALL1 with HDPlex GaN 250W

Reactions: msystems

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
What software did you end up using to flash? No side effects/driver detection issues?

Flashed same as normal nvflash commands

i.e.
> "nvflashk.exe -i0 -6 Gigabyte.RTX4060.8192.230523_1.rom"
> "YES"
> "y"
Cross fingers and reboot

I was UNABLE to crossflash to the Strix RTX4060, not sure if it's due to the difference in display outputs (3:1 DP:HDMI vs 2:2 of the Gigabytes) or something else

Reactions: b_force and rfarmer

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
This is extremely promising, that score is basically parity with 3060ti after the bios flash. And aren't you on 5600g with Pci gen 3.0 right? So maybe with better hardware it would even be above 12k.

I'm guessing it might be a bit harder to cool with the extra 15 watts though, as the fan starts to get a bit annoying above 80% speed.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
This is extremely promising, that score is basically parity with 3060ti after the bios flash. And aren't you on 5600g with Pci gen 3.0 right? So maybe with better hardware it would even be above 12k.

I'm guessing it might be a bit harder to cool with the extra 15 watts though, as the fan starts to get a bit annoying above 80% speed.
When I work out where the heck I put my thermal paste (or buy some more) I'll test it out with the 3300X, much lower CPU score but PCIe4.0

I could also possibly throw the 2x16GB B-Die DIMMs in, but then I won't have the clearance for the 120mm fan in the RCC-SMALL1 so I think I'll live with the dual-rank DIMMs I have for now.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017

Flashed same as normal nvflash commands

i.e.
> "nvflashk.exe -i0 -6 Gigabyte.RTX4060.8192.230523_1.rom"
> "YES"
> "y"
Cross fingers and reboot

I was UNABLE to crossflash to the Strix RTX4060, not sure if it's due to the difference in display outputs (3:1 DP:HDMI vs 2:2 of the Gigabytes) or something else
Thanks! Quiet bios is working great with fan stop, I tested it on this cold morning and upon boot they were off. They come back on if you start doing anything but it's still a neat feature to have.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
So there was some truth to the nvflashk utility after all. :) It makes sense that a very similar 4060 bios can be flashed (from another Gigabyte card), but that it will be difficult to find a compatible bios from another vendor (e.g. the 4060 Strix).

I think the author of the utility had planned a GUI with more functionality, including some bios editing, but no news on that since October. Probably is not happening. Or a surprise some day.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So there was some truth to the nvflashk utility after all. :) It makes sense that a very similar 4060 bios can be flashed (from another Gigabyte card), but that it will be difficult to find a compatible bios from another vendor (e.g. the 4060 Strix).

I think the author of the utility had planned a GUI with more functionality, including some bios editing, but no news on that since October. Probably is not happening. Or a surprise some day.
That's supposed to be 'coming soon' but I haven't heard any news in some time.

Also - I'm now up to #18 fastest RTX4060 - with the stock Low Profile cooler :)

95% of the fastest RTX4060's performance ain't too bad ;)

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
That's great! I wonder if you can still squeeze out a few more points with a Ryzen 5600 or something similar. Now I am seriously tempted to do this flash myself, but without any backup GPU whatsoever it's probably a bit risky 😅 what frequency are you managing to hit?

Honestly I think this deserves a front page post. Being able to up the power limit and have zero RPM mode on our beloved 4060LP is an amazing development.

Edit: looks you are in 81st place, not 18th?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
That's great! I wonder if you can still squeeze out a few more points with a Ryzen 5600 or something similar. Now I am seriously tempted to do this flash myself, but without any backup GPU whatsoever it's probably a bit risky 😅 what frequency are you managing to hit?

Honestly I think this deserves a front page post. Being able to up the power limit and have zero RPM mode on our beloved 4060LP is an amazing development.

Edit: looks you are in 81st place, not 18th?
::EDIT:: Forgot to actually answer all your questions...

Across TimeSpy graphics tests...
Graphics 1: 2940 - 2970 MHz
Graphics 2: 2880 - 2955 MHz

For all of these, I've run at +1625MHz on the VRAM i.e. 2531.49Mhz (10125 MHz in afterburner)

I think maybe I've got 81st for overall score, I'm sorting by Graphics Score (because obv I don't care if someone beats me with a 14900KSXX1!1!) and Leaderboard (otherwise every result gets added)

There's definitely some promise if I were to use a 5000 non-APU chip, but unfortunately I only have the 3300X/4750G/5600G available now. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So i'm running more tests with my heatsink and observing odd behaviour. Running benchmarks like Heaven or Furmark, the max temperature is about 73C. However, when running demanding games, temperature gets as high as 80C. This is with the card outside of the case so ambient temperature should be the same. I always assumed benchmark software would put more load on a card than any game. Anyone have more insights? Running more tests tonight...

Reactions: prideauxdc