Prototype Free Flow CPU Pump Block

THeRoSSMaCHiNE

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2019
Looking forward to an approved prototype hitting Optimum Tech's desk. Just watched the original T1 prototype vid again (cause I can't wait for that to release) and didn't realise this gem was hidden away at the end of that. Keenly anticipating the release of both

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Saw this press release from BarrowCH earlier

It looks much too tall for most SFF cases, but if you have the height available, this may be a decent alternative to the Apogee Drive 2 which is always out of stock.

I'm still waiting to see if this Freeflow project becomes reality due to the much lower height

Unofficial

Cable Smoosher
May 31, 2020
Saw this press release from BarrowCH earlier

It looks much too tall for most SFF cases, but if you have the height available, this may be a decent alternative to the Apogee Drive 2 which is always out of stock.

I'm still waiting to see if this Freeflow project becomes reality due to the much lower height

The product listing on aliexpress for this has the dimensions. This one is simply too tall.

Really looking forward to see how this project develops because a lot of manufacturers just don't seem to be interested in making low profile pump+block combos.
Perhaps it's cheaper to manufacture, perhaps it's better performing.

Reactions: fabio

Phreno

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2020
The product listing on aliexpress for this has the dimensions. This one is simply too tall.

Really looking forward to see how this project develops because a lot of manufacturers just don't seem to be interested in making low profile pump+block combos.
Perhaps it's cheaper to manufacture, perhaps it's better performing.

That's the version with flowmeter wich is useless inside a sff. there's another version without flowmeter.

Reactions: thelaughingman

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
That's the version with flowmeter wich is useless inside a sff. there's another version without flowmeter.

But still, even if you remove the 10mm of the pump sticking out, you only have left 16mm to the 70mm limits of a lot of ITX case.
This is basically meant for the NON Sandwich style ITX case I guess.

Reactions: Phreno

Phreno

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2020
But still, even if you remove the 10mm of the pump sticking out, you only have left 16mm to the 70mm limits of a lot of ITX case.
This is basically meant for the NON Sandwich style ITX case I guess.

You're right . on this barrow i like the integrated reservoir and the third "fill" hole,but this come at a cost of increased height and therefore is not suitable for a sandwich layout case.

i'm considering buying this one for my M1, but i'll wait a couple more months to see how this project goes.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's a shame Barrow doesn't list the height to the ports, as that is IMO more interesting than the pump height. Most fittings would likely end up sticking out past the pump even on the version with the flow meter. Guess someone with some CNC chops could make a modified port block with side ports for this? Still, I want a FreeFlo.

Phreno

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2020
It's a shame Barrow doesn't list the height to the ports, as that is IMO more interesting than the pump height. Most fittings would likely end up sticking out past the pump even on the version with the flow meter. Guess someone with some CNC chops could make a modified port block with side ports for this? Still, I want a FreeFlo.

@August did some tricks and found the port height is around 53mm

we are discussing here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/new-chinese-cpu-waterblock-pump-barrow.14334/post-211692

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
Ive been eagerly waiting, but all the custom block projects seem to take ages to lift off. Ive also (more or less) finished a design of my own. It'll be more specific for AMD AM4, with the in/out above and below the socket, in between the mounting screws. Got my first quotes and was shocked by the pricing. 340 euros for the copped base, 120 for the acetal top. And you still need a 40 euro cold plate, some diy o rings, and preferably get the copper nickel plated. Will be checking different cnc companies now...

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Ive been eagerly waiting, but all the custom block projects seem to take ages to lift off. Ive also (more or less) finished a design of my own. It'll be more specific for AMD AM4, with the in/out above and below the socket, in between the mounting screws. Got my first quotes and was shocked by the pricing. 340 euros for the copped base, 120 for the acetal top. And you still need a 40 euro cold plate, some diy o rings, and preferably get the copper nickel plated. Will be checking different cnc companies now...

Unless you're making a large batch of like 100-200 units, it's always gonna be very expensive to get a one-off CNC piece.

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
This was based on a batch of 10 parts, after that the price drop was very minimal. Whenever the design is truely finished I might check for interest on the forums.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
This was based on a batch of 10 parts, after that the price drop was very minimal. Whenever the design is truely finished I might check for interest on the forums.
Unless you can stand to lose 3-400 euro on your block, I'm a hard pass at that price... Design might be affecting the manufacturing cost?