Production Steck v2.0 - Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case. Up to 3x slot GPU [325mm (L)]

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Looks like the PSU still has some room forward for FE cards or folk who tape a 2.5 ssd behind the PSU. Does the PSU go heigher? It looks like there's enough room for it to go higher and either have more room for cables or an sfx-l. Personally, I might mod that top rail for a 25mm fan.
There is a 2.5 ssd mounting bracket next to the PSU (near the front).

And I have double checked, formd t1 as an example, its PSU mount is moved towards one end to make room for rad tubing but that only allows the rad to fit at one end. It is ok for t1 as it is designed with rad at fixed position, whereas Steck allows rad top and/or bottom, and needs to have room at both ends for tubing. (refer to image, see how the tube is bent back even with PSU right at the bottom, but there could have been more room if the rad and fans are swapped around).

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
[2021-06-09] Update

AIO liquid cooling configuration with top and bottom top hats (supports both at the same time).
Next up: custom loop photos

can you attach larger photos pls? it's still too tiny after clicking in it.

EDIT: the T1 photo is fine, just these 2 are tiny

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Were you able to do some rough thermal testing under the prototype case?
I probably won't have the time, still got tons of work to do to be ready for launch. And as with all my other products I would rather have the community to chip in with test results, for less controversies. If physics holds, I am quite confident that thermals will be decent, simply by the push-pull fans and much more vent holes than before.

My plan is to take my time to enjoy the build as an enthusiast after it is launched 😂 (if I can afford a GPU by then)

nicholasmark

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2016
Good news:

Since Steck (ver 2) base unit will support 15mm fans top AND bottom in stock config (no expansion), it will be able to hold the taller blocks or cards, up to about 160mm, but it will take up spaces of the fans. You can put the "stack" expansion at the bottom for the rad. 162mm is getting a bit tight though.

In short Steck can support taller GPU cards or blocks by sacrificing fans to that end. But you will still have room for fans at the bottom.

EK also has GPU blocks in different heights (LxHxW), and all should be "good" with Steck ver 2, with slightly different config:
  1. EK-Quantum Vector RE RTX 3080/3090 : 220x124x20.5mm
  2. EK-Quantum Vector TUF RTX 3080/3090 : 267x148x16.5mm
  3. EK-Quantum Vector Strix RTX 3080/3090 : 293x154x16.5mm
Glad to know it will support taller GPU cards.

I have a RTX 3080 Xtreme and would like to know if I can flip the case to have the radiator at the top instead since the waterblock is approximately 151mm tall (including terminal) which will block the top 15mm fans.

I've put together some picture reference using your cad diagram images with reference to EK reference image:

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Glad to know it will support taller GPU cards.

I have a RTX 3080 Xtreme and would like to know if I can flip the case to have the radiator at the top instead since the waterblock is approximately 151mm tall (including terminal) which will block the top 15mm fans.

I've put together some picture reference using your cad diagram images with reference to EK reference image:

For the tall EK water blocks, you may need 2 top hats. The fan location will be taken up by the water block sticking out. i.e support for GPU heights and fan config:

<145 mm - with chassis fans
145 to 160mm - no chassis fans
>160mm - no chassis fan & top hat required

I will make some more measurement to confirm. But there are shorter cards / water blocks available, guess sff'ers should go for those instead.

nicholasmark

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2016
For the tall EK water blocks, you may need 2 top hats. The fan location will be taken up by the water block sticking out. i.e support for GPU heights and fan config:

I will make some more measurement to confirm. But there are shorter cards / water blocks available, guess sff'ers should go for those instead.
Ok, will take note on the dimensions.

Thank you so much and looking forward to your finding.

MrMuscl3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 27, 2021

Would it be possible to create 2 variants of the top hat? Many aftermarket AIO come with +50mm height with radiator thickness and fan height added together. It would make more sense to let buyer choose the between smaller and taller top hats rather than be forced to buy 2. Also, 1 tophat vs 2 tophats aesthetics.

I have been waiting for case like this (bottom & top fans) and planned to use be quiet! Silent Loop 2 240mm (h=52mm) with the case. But I would be forced to buy smaller fans or 2 tophats to be able to use this AIO. Another popular AIO Kraken X53 seems to be h=56mm. I believe that I'm not the only one asking for taller top hat since there are just a few <25mm AIO radiator (MasterLiquid Lite 240, Eisbaer Pro Aurora 240, Eisbaer LT240) available on the market. And with <25mm rad height I refer to use of 25mm fans with the radiator.

How about second version of tophat with plus ~10mm height? Would be more than enough for many and buyers would get ton of more options to choose AIO.