Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Just got my first rough piece of the final model..Instantly put in my huge evga 1080ti ftw lol. Actually its really accurate. Its missing the threads, and the countersunks, but it will come soon, maybe in the next 1-2 weeks. We choose the colors and the surface treatment, and the manufacturer said (turned out he is a huge geek aswell) we should make a fully polished sheet metal piece of it. Polished stainless steel is a bit expensive material but who nows maybe somebody likes it. Its like a softer gunmetal finish. You can see the sidepanels and the frontpanel is a bit offposition, but its because the screws that I used, and its missing the threads as I said. Its looking really promising as a rough model. I hope when all the parts (buttons, feets, glass panels, cables etc.) arrive I can put together the first production ready sample! ?

Awesome seeing these going through various iterations and prototypes! One question - will there be a way to screw in the outer extend parts to the central chassis so that they don't protrude outwards like they do on the pics? It would look odd if the outer panels were not flush with the inner ones.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Awesome seeing these going through various iterations and prototypes! One question - will there be a way to screw in the outer extend parts to the central chassis so that they don't protrude outwards like they do on the pics? It would look odd if the outer panels were not flush with the inner ones.
Thanks! Of course will be! To be honest this model was made by pieces of aluminium and steel, that left by previous works. It bent somewhere, and got a lot of scratches, but still accurate. It is just for testing the tolerances. Also there is no countersunks for the screws, thats why you see like this. The heads of the screws under the panel pushes out it. If i'm lucky enough, today you can see a fully assembled piece!

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
On this prototype there's no space for a cover on my pump (Alphacool VPP755 - Single Edition V.3)
The space between pump and psu (angle) is just a thin sheet
So if my pump isn't yet covered...no there's no more space!

Reactions: bricemx

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
If two rads, there is no problem. Because CPU out goes to bottom rad.

If think more better if possible rotate PSU to 90 degree in this sitiation. A lot of free space under PSU and will be a lot at left of PSU.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
There will be no flow meter in the v1.0 I think. I need to make a custom one to fit in that distro and the custom plastic molding prices are really high. I gonna ask @alauder maybe he can cnc mill one from acrylic or some kind of plastic. And I need to test a D5 with cover. Sorry but there is more important things to fix first, but I'll try my best! The PSU can be sfx or sfx-L and can be placed 4 different positions, depends on your tubes and cooling variants. It can be roatated upside down. In @D10S prototype just the CPU is watercooled, so he need to route the tubes close to the top. In that scenario, maybe flipping the PSU provide more space for tubing. But in his first prototype there is no holes for that :( In the new one there is!

• Haha
Reactions: bricemx and D10S

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
If two rads, there is no problem. Because CPU out goes to bottom rad.
If think more better if possible rotate PSU to 90 degree in this sitiation. A lot of free space under PSU and will be a lot at left of PSU.
Yes, there are a lot of different solution for this...
...and it depends on the many construction variables you have in mind...
90 degree could save space for the cover...
but probably will transform cable management into a small nightmare,
I have no idea, it would be worth trying ?

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
If do custom cables, I think will be no problem. Between distro and PSU 5 cm. If PSU rotate vertical - will be around 7.
Need check only PSU power extension cable. Block or not by Motherboard.

Reactions: D10S

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
If do custom cables, I think will be no problem. Between distro and PSU 5 cm. If PSU rotate vertical - will be around 7.
Need check only PSU power extension cable. Block or not by Motherboard.
Attaching PSU higher should free enough space,
if it works,
you can mount the cover...
...and you will have plenty of space to show off beautiful hand-made cables !!!