Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021

Photos of the new Densium 4 prototype
View in Augmented Reality
[Changelog and updates below pictures]

New 16.05.2023 update can be found on my APU thread

d4v200011.jpg
D4BB00007.jpg
D4BB00026.jpg
D4BB00006.jpg
D4BB00000.jpg
dual.jpg
d4v200050.jpg
d4v200048.jpg
d4v200014-3.jpg

• 'Base' and 'Spine' to be made of 1.5mm aluminum instead of 1.2mm SPCC
    • The increased thickness will make the countersinking more consistent
    • Reduces the weight.
    • Evidently, the PSU screws now tears away the powdercoat easily, so I'll make sure washers are included.
  • Side panels will be made of 304 stainless steel instead of SPCC
    • 304ss is less pliable, making the side panels stronger and stiffer.
    • Corrosion resistant
  • Motherboard standoffs changed from M3 to UNC #6-32 threads, and also made 2mm longer.
    • More clearance for CPU cooler backplates
    • More clearance for motherboard backplates
    • Slightly bigger diameter
  • GPU standoffs increased 1mm
    • Some GPUs have thicker backplates than advertised
    • Adds to the CPU cooler backplate clearance
  • Completely redesigned frontpanel bracket. Now made from 1 single piece of 1.2mm 304 stainless steel. Attaches to side flanges instead of top and bottom of case.
    • Much stronger
    • Having the bends on the side instead of the top prevents cables from putting strain on the front panel.
    • Hides screws under front panel
    • Now completely flippable, so you can choose the orientation.
    • Adds to the rigidity of the case
  • Added USB 3.1 10gbps type A port to front panel.
    • Manufactured by ADT-Link
    • Uses 19pin A-key internal usb connector
    • Securely attaches to the front panel bracket
    • Still waiting for prototype
  • Dual orientation PSU
    • Together with dual orientation frontpanel, it allows for completely flippable layout.
  • PSU raised 3mm off the 'floor'
    • To accomodate case feet
    • To accomodate screws for handles/case feet
    • Case will come with Ø10x3mm magnets that securely attaches to PSU (tested with Enhance ENP-7660)
    • The aluminum and 304 stainless will not interfere with magnets
    • Magnets are very low friction, so sliding in the PSU is still effortless.
  • The rear flange on GPU-side now extends all the way.
    • Adds to the rigidity of the case
    • Giving more clearance between the GPU fan and side panel.
  • Ventilation holes changed from Ø6 with 7.5mm pitch to Ø6.5 with 8mm pitch
    • 8mn can perfectly divide 96mm and 128mm, which are commonly used screw spacings for cabinet and drawer handles, giving customers option to source a wide variety of handles if they desire.
    • Slightly more open area
  • Added an extra row of ventilation holes to the side panels
    • More airflow
    • Better aesthetic (top and bottom holes are now aligned)
  • Custom length standoffs
    • Made to fit the perfectly without the use of washers
    • Prevent washers being forgotten during assembly.
  • Custom branded boxes with foam
    • This was a necessity, as last time I left the packaging up to the warehouse staff, and it resulted very high damage rate. Now the cases will be assembled and put in the box at the factory assembly, also resulting in shorter fulfillment times.
    • Black 'base with lid' boxes
    • Accessories will come in extra box that will be inside the case
  • The GPU now sits lower in the case
    • This is achieved with the CNC aluminum part shown in picture 8. Previously the standoffs for riser and motherboard would interfere in this position, but thanks to this part we can mount the GPU here.
    • IMO, better aesthetics
    • Makes inserting the cables easier for some GPUs
    • Problem with prototype identified. The Gen4 risers take more space than Gen3, so I'll have to raise the mounting 5mm more than shown in picture.
  • Extended the 'depth' of the case by 3mm
    • To accomodate for the new frontpanel bracket
    • Gives slightly bigger place for cables
  • Added more clearance on top of the motherboard to accomodate screws for handles.
  • Extras
    • Will come with allen key for the hex screws
    • Will come with UNC 6-32 screws for motherboard and power supply
    • Extra screws
    • Rubber case feet
    • Powerbuttons have longer cables
    • If you don't like the USB-port I can manufacture frontpanels without the USB cutout.
All the changes have led to a slight increase in size. The new dimensions are now 103x225x93mm, resulting in a volume of 4.47L (increase of 4dl)
The size inrease will be equivalent in the new 4+ version. The size increase does not make a 'real world' difference, but actually makes the case even easier to assemble.

I'm truly impressed by the quality of the prototype, all the future customers have something to look forward to!

Also I've ordered a prototype of a possible 'Densium 4 APU', which will be the exact same as the Densium 4, apart from removing the GPU, and moving the motherboard further 'back'. Let me know if you're interested.

August 28th (2022)

Hello everyone,

Forgive me for not updating you guys sooner, but I've been so busy at work and have barely had the time to answer all the e-mails from customers.

As you know, some of your cases have shipped, some haven't (approx 50/50). After discussing the delivery of the cases (at the beginning of the month) between my supplier and shipping agent, I was certain they would all be sent by now. Well they were delayed a couple days from the supplier, and also the shipping agent used an exeptionally long time to fulfill orders. I'm not exactly sure why, but they also have other customers for which they ship orders, and they're very busy people. Additionally they're in the middle of moving their warehouse, and I'm sure this also affects their work capacity. It's important for me to have a good relationship with my cooperates, and I feel bad about nagging at my 'manager' as I know he's very busy and ultimately not responsible for the delays.

That's why you haven't all recieved your orders yet.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

August 2nd (2022)

Hello everyone. I haven't checked the comments here in a little while, my apoliogies.

I'm actually here to share some good news :)

The cases were supposed to ship by the end of August, but we're way ahead of schedule. All the cases are now being assembled, and will be packaged this week. This means they might reach the fulfillment-center by the end of the week, or early the week after. My warehouse staff have quite many orders to fulfill, so I ask you to please be patient with fulfillment times, we'll get them out the door as quickly as possible.

Also I've just recieved samples of the final product with the USB-C and other minor changes. I'll now start the photography process, and also I'll make a new video assembly that will serve as the user manual. When all this is done I'll update it to the product page!

Take care,
Audun

July 7th (2022)

As my friend @Revenant had pointed out in one of his articles, the Densium 4+ V2 is now available for pre-order.

If you pre-order soon, you'll get free shipping on your case. This offer is also active for the smaller Densium 4.

Link to Densium 4

Link to Densium 4+

July 2nd (2022) 2

I've got 2 big announcements

Firstly:

Last minute change to the Densium 4 and 4+

The USB 3.1 Type-A will be swapped for an USB 3.2 Type-C. This will have higher transfer speeds, better power delivery and a less obstructive cutout in the beautiful front panel!

Secondly:

We've saved up enough to manufacture the Densium 4+ V2 along with the Densium 4, and as last time - It'll be shipping at the same time as the Densium 4. I've got some work to do setting up the website, but It'll open up for pre-order soon!

July 2nd (2022)

The production for the Densium 4 V2 is starting next week!

June 22nd (2022)

Pre-Order is now live! More information is available on the website, and you'll save $40 if you order before the early-bird offer ends!

Think the website should be OK, but if you notice something I've forgot, please let me know!

June 21st (2022)

A few hours after I posted the previous update I was urgently called to work the next day, 4 days before planned. Due travelling I haven't had access to a computer before now. Very unfortunate, timing couldn't be worse.

I'm now trying to finish the website, but internet is very unreliable. Sorry for everyone waiting!

June 18th (2022)

Hello all!

Unfortunately, the new prototype parts did not arrive until yesterday (previously thought to reach me earlier in the week).

I estimate to need about 2-3 days for photography, editing and final touches before I open up for Pre-order. I'm in the process of taking photographs now, and I've added new photographs to the thread! Take a look above!

I'd hope to be ready for pre-order by now, but the late arrival of the prototype will delay it a couple days, but It's just around the corner. For anyone anxious to get one, It'll not affect the production date (It's already set)

Thanks for your attention and patience, and have a great weekend!

- Audun

June 9th (2022)

The last pieces of the prototype will be shipped to me tomorrow, and will reach me early next week.
The shipments contains the APU prototype and front-panels.
It'll arrive together with the front-panel USB port prototype from ADT-Link too, so we'll see the D4 with an USB port for the first time. Hope it works out!

When it arrives, It'll be photographed and put up for pre-order on my website.

June 1st (2022)

Though I was pretty happy with the V1 of the Densium 4 it was immediately apparent that there was some flaws and some 'low hanging fruit' for improvements. After many great suggestions from here at the forum and r/SFFPC, I knew I had to make a revised design for the 2nd batch.

Of course, as a lot of people liked the appearance of the V1, so I've done my best to keep the exterior as untouched as possible.

As I was starting out I felt restricted by the uncertainty of the project, as I didn't know what to expect in terms of sales, engagement ETC.
After seeing this much interest, engagement and (a lot of) support, I'm much more comfortable taking bigger 'risks'. This enables me to make bigger commitments, such as a more expensive design with more features and higher quality. If you've read the changelog for the V2, it should be apparent that there has been some major upgrades.

As a result of this, I've added some costly features which in turn means I've got to increase the price a fair amount. Of course, the great improvement to extra features and quality will make it justified, I'm sure you all understand.

As I lost most of my margin to replacing damaged cases I'll need a small funding campaign for the new cases, but not as big as V1 (I think I need about 20 units). Of course there will 'early-bird' offers for those who pre-order. I think I'll be able to initiate the production in about 2 weeks, and we're looking at about the same production time as the Densium 4 (6 weeks). This time we'll hopefully avoid the factory being locked down during production.

The 'Densium 4 plus V2' will come later, but I'll order extra of all the 'non sheet-metal' parts together with the Densium 4. This will significantly reduce the production time for the 'plus' when it eventually enters production, as the sheetmetal can be manufactured very quickly.

The new website is being developed, and I'm looking to start the campaign as quickly as possible. The website will include all the details of the funding campaign and timeline.

I think I've covered everything, but I'll update this post if I should remember something I've missed - and of course, all questions are welcome.

May 30th (2022) Update:

Just recieved the prototype of the revised design today. I've been testing out the new features and wow - The Densium 4 just went from great to extraordinary.

I know for a fact many of you'll be excited as I've grabbed some of the ideas posted here at the forum.

Appearance-wise it doesn't look too different, but It'll have some new features, as well as some more subtle upgrades.

It'll take a couple days to do photography and write a new changelog, but I'll post a new update at once I'm finished.

May 27th (2022) Update:
Hey guys, I'm finally back after 4 weeks at sea. The internet have been restrictive to say the least, so I've not been as active as I'd like to be - Hope you understand!

Now I'll be home for 4 weeks and I've got some exciting news.

While I was gone, I've ordered a prototype of a revised design, with some much needed improvements, based on requests and ideas from here at the forum.
The prototype will reach me some time next week, and I'll post pictures along with the full changelog.

All questions welcome :)

May 22nd (2022) Update:

Wow, I seem to have missed quite a bit of activity here at the forum. For some reason, I've stopped recieving E-mails when there is an update to the thread. I apologize, and will respond to all your questions, hope it's not too late...

I also have been stuck at work for the last 4 weeks, but in 3 days I'll be home and back to full capacity. I have been working on something behind the scenes, which will be exciting to announce. But I'll have to wait until I get home!

May 8th (2022) Update:

At last, the Z39 coolers are on it's way to the warehouse - And we're able to fulfill the last of your orders!

Sorry for all the waiting and the troublesome launch, thanks to everyone for your patience and support.

I guess now is the time to announce that there will be a 2nd batch of the Densium 4, but with a much needed revised design.
The new design will include a lot of improvements and new features, based on requests from people here at the forum!
I've already ordered a prototype for validation - And it's in production as we speak!

I'll make a 'mega-update' here at the thread when the last pieces of the puzzle are in place!

All questions welcome!

Regards,
Audun

April 29th (2022) Update:

Firstly, let me apologize for not being active the last week, but I'm currently at work - with 12 hours shifts, so I've got minimal spare time.

This post is to inform about the damaged cases, Z39 coolers, Miswired Powerbuttons and when I'll resume selling the D4.

As you know, there was a huge portion of cases that were shipped without cardboard boxes and a lot of you have recieved damaged cases. I'm determined to give you all free replacements, as you deserve - But I'm getting more and more anxious my stock will not hold, even though I paused the sale. I'll have to update you all about this moving forward.

Regarding the miswired power buttons: It seems like the power button supplier had miswired every single switch from the 1st batch. I'm just as shocked as you are - But the good news is that I was swift in getting replacements, and they're already at the warehouse, ready to ship. Only thing remaining is establishing a page where you can claim it! The new power buttons also have longer cables, so it'll not be necessary with extensions cables for MSI motherboards. You'll all get a mail once the product page is ready.

The Z39 coolers: Sigh... I'm doing my very best to get them to you as quickly as possible. This particular supplier has been outrageously unreliable, and have given a lot of false promises. To put things in perspective, they assured me they'd be delivered within March 10th, and you all know what date it is today. I won't elaborate any further, but please understand that I care about my customers, and never intended to extend the delivery time.

As it stands now, I'll keep the sale on hold until all my current customers have recieved an undamaged unit of the Densium 4/4+. Since I won't have much stock left after the replacements, I suspect there will be no more sales from batch 1, and any interested buyers must wait until the next batch. Good news is - I've got a new and improved design in the works, and I'm currently working on getting a prototype so I can initiate batch 2 as quickly as possible. I'll make a big update with renders and change notes some time soon! Hope you're as excited as me!

Big thanks for your understanding, and have a nice weekend!

Take care all

April 21st (2022) Update:

Quick update: We have now recieved the new packaging materials and shipping will resume! Because the shipping details have had trouble updating automatically, you might recieve the tracking No. a few days after they have shipped, since I'll be doing it manually.

Z39 update: The factory had run out of AMD brackets during manufacturing, so there is still a handful of coolers still with the supplier, but we'll fulfill them ASAP.

April 11th (2022) Update:

So I've had to make a difficult decision. Due to overestimating the shipping agents ability, there have been a lot of damaged products until now, so I have to pause the fulfillment for a couple days to source some protective boxes that will make sure your products are not damaged during transit. To everyone who recieve damaged products: You'll recieve a replacement of course.

I'll keep you all updated!

Take care

Update 2:

Some more dunnage for the packaging is on it's way. Also there have been reports of wrongly wired power buttons, so there are replacements buttons coming, and will be included in every shipment from here on.

April 9th (2022) Update:

Shipping tracking numbers have not been sent out automatically, I will now start sending them to you 1 by 1.

Also, my shipping agent have been using very poor packaging for the units sent. It's being handled, but I expect a fair amount of you to recieve damaged goods. Therefore I have decided to put the sale of my cases on hold, to make sure I have replacement units for those. Might be an over-reaction, but you can never be too careful.

Take care everyone.

April 4th (2022) Update:

All units have now finally arrived at the warehouse. The warehouse staff are working hard to fulfill all the orders, it might take a couple days!

Thanks for staying patient!

March 31th (2022) Update:

Hey guys! Great news (for some), the first units have arrived at the warehouse and will be shipped today/tomorrow! The rest of the cases will be coming tomorrow, but might not ship until next week, we'll see!

For those who have the Z39 cooler; The supplier hasn't been available for whatever reason - But the coolers should be finished by now, I'd be stumped if they didn't arrive at the warehouse by next week...

Take care all!

March 26th (2022) Update:

I made an assembly guide for my cases! It's attached below. Let me know what you think :) As some of you may know, I'm a sailor, not a videographer so please go easy on me!

Also, the first cases will be shipped to the warehouse the coming week, at which time It'll be shipped ASAP. My shipping agent will need some time to 'build' the inventory, but I'll urge them to do it as quickly as possible. They're still trying to catch up after the lockdown, so we'll have to see how it goes!

March 21st (2022) Update:

Good news; Most of my suppliers are back to work!

Some of their staff are still required to stay home, so they're not at full capacity yet - But at least the worst part is over.

They have assured me they're continuing to work on the Densium products to have them shipped ASAP!

Big thanks to all for being so patient!!

March 18th (2022) Update:

I've talked with my suppliers, and there are rumors spreading that the government might open up for some workers in the beginning of next week.

It's still Just a rumor, but we'll see how the situation unfolds.

When the lockdown is finally lifted, my suppliers and warehouse staff will have to catch up with a lot of work, so I kindly ask you to be prepared for the possibility of a longer delay.

March 14th (2022) Update:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ces-all-shenzhen-residents-under-lockdown-afp

As of today this morning, the city of Shenzen, CN have been commanded into lockdown by the authorities. As this is where all my suppliers and warehouse is located - this will put all my shipments and manufacturing on hold.

The lockdown will last until the end of this week, and will then optionally be extended 1 week. I'll be monitoring the situation closely, and post any updated information here.

I'll be here to answer any questions, as always.

March 11th (2022) Update:

All the cases are now in the process of being assembled. Estimated time of shipping will still be the same, by the end of march.

Also for your information. The front panels will be assembled to the 'base' of the case in the warehouse right before shipping. Since there is no way for me to predict which front panel is being sent with which 'base,' each front panel will have 2 of each screw color (Steel and Black). This is so you can chose which screw color goes on top, since the bottom ones will not be visible when fully assembled and standing upright on the desk. Just to be sure, I'll order extra screws and keep them in my warehouse - so if there are any mistakes I can quickly ship replacement screws.

Hope people are OK with this solution.

Take care all.

March 4th (2022) Update:

Hello everyone, thought I'd post an update for everyone!

There really isn't much to tell, as It have been going fairly smooth thus far! All our products are on schedule for now. That being said, the Covid19 situation in Shenzen have taken a turn for the worse the last couple of days. The outcome of this is hard to predict, but I kindly ask you to be understanding if any delays might occur. Hopefully we're able to ship by the end of March anyway! This applies to all my products!

Gen4 riser update; I've been in contact with ADT-Link. They've recently made a new riser cable, said to have better compatibility than their previous model. I've ordered a batch of this instead of their previous model - But the price is a little higher, so I'll have to increase the price a tiny bit, but people who've already ordered get the original price!

Thanks for staying patient!

February 8th (2022) Update:

It’s the big day today, production has started! Estimated production time is 6 weeks! If any irregularities occur, I’ll post it here!

I’ll also put in some orders for my accessory products.

For those who have ordered the Z39 CPU cooler: The electroplating factory is still on holiday, so i might not recieve the products at the same time as the Densium cases - but I’ve arranged for separate shipping of your order if production time is vastly different.

February 2nd (2022) Update:

The latest update: The final files have been sent to the manufacturer and the production line has been established for fastest initiation of production on Feb 8th.

Help wanted: I'm looking to have my website translated into chinese, I've hired a translator but have a few arrangements to make before i can commit to this service. The plan is still very new, and won't take effect immediately. If there are any chinese residents here with knowledge about chinese SFFPC communities, please contact me here on SFF.Network or send me a mail to contact@densium.net Thanks.

January 27th (2022) Update:

Unfortunately the Densium 4+ prototype was not shipped when promised, and in addition there is a delay at the DHL terminal in Shenzen.

I'm leaving to work for 4 weeks the coming tuesday, so there is a chance i wont recieve the prototype before then - Meaning there won't be real photos until I'm coming home early march.

I'm very annoyed, but there is not really anything i can do about it - So I'll not spend any more time mourning over it, just thought you guys should know.

I'll be available to answer questions even though I'm working!

Regards,
Audun

January 24th (2022) Update:

Gen4 risers are now available for purchase in my shop. They're significantly more expensive to source - the price tag says it all.

But I'm selling to enthusiasts - So now my customers at least have the choice!

Take care everyone!

January 21st (2022) Update:

It's now confirmed: The Densium 4 Plus (220mm) will be manufactured concurrently with the Original Densium 4, meaning It'll be shipped at roughly the same time.

The prototype is still en route for approval and photos, but I've put it up for sale anyway as the design is pretty much tested [It's the same as D4].

Here is the link: Densium4+

January 19th (2022) Update:

So after confirming with my manufacturers, production time is estimated ~6 weeks, but due to chinese new year, the production will not be initiated before February 8th. That means we're looking at shipping around march!

Hope the wait isn't unbearable for you!

Regarding the extended version: The prototype has been shipped, and will be immediately put up on the website as soon as I recieve it. This time will not affect the wait, as i hope to manufacture this together with the regular Densium 4 - Though this isn't confirmed yet.

January 17th (2022) Update:

Hello all!

Well, i did not expect this...

As some of you may have seen, I lowered the goal from 60 units to 50 units, which then placed us at 48% funded.
I was hoping this would make it easier for people to commit.
I then made a little more informative website, and took some better photos to go along with it.
As a "cherry on top" i offered Free shipping for 48 hours, to hopefully boost sales a bit.

Well it sure did - We plowed our way from 48% to 88% in just 2 days, so i made a decision.

Since we did so incredibly well, and we only have a few units left to go, I don't see any point in letting you guys wait any longer!
Therefore I've decided to cover the rest of the cost myself, and order production! Well, i still haven't recieved the prototype for the much improved front panel design, so I'll have to approve this design first! I'll recieve this in about a week or so.

Thanks to everyone who ordered! I'm super excited, and i hope you are too! And a special thanks to everyone who helped me get the word around and share with friends and family.

Well, I'm ordering more units than we've sold - And there is nothing stopping me from ordering more, so keep spreading the word!

Moving forward:

Until now, I've not said anything about production times, but to not leave you guys completely in the dark, I'll inquire the manufacturer about it, and update this post in a few days regarding this (Keep in mind: Chinese new year is around the corner, and the factory will have a 2 week holiday, starting at the end of january)

For those of you who wants the extended version - I'll ask my manufacturer to produce this along with the Densium 4, since the manufacturing process is essentially identical - assuming the prototype will be approved.

Again, a big thanks to everyone who've ordered.

As always, all questions are welcome here!

Regards,
Audun

January 12th (2022) update:

Hello guys, update from manufacturer.

Our new dark walnut panel is now awaiting surface finish, after which it will be immediately shipped to me.
The 220mm version prototype production line has been started, and will be sent to me around next week.

If anyone has been on the website lately, maybe you've noticed that I've added some new photos for the D4.
I'm currently working daily to make the website a little more "digestable" for new people, hoping this will help sales better for my next promo. Expect to see a new product page, and possibly also a new homepage in the coming days.

For my next promo i will make also make a great offer, so I'll expect to get a little further with my funding goal.

Thanks for being so patient guys, you're the best!

January 7th (2022) update:

Hello,

I haven't updated the post for a week so i thought i should give you a status update and plan moving forward.

About a week ago i placed an order for a new, much improved front panel design (mounting solution, aesthetically same.)
It will also be made out of Dark Walnut, a much darker variant of the walnut front panel.

Along with this i also placed an order for a extended version, specifically the 220mm gpu support version, after a post on r/SFFPC the majority of feedback wanted this version more than the 200mm version.

Meanwhile I'll work on the website, i recently bought some extra photo equipment that'll help me out immensly - Therefore I'll take some better, more demonstrative and illustrative photos, and make a more informative website. I'll also make an assembly video that'll act as an 'user manual.' Thought behind this is to run a new 'promo' campaign, and hopefully better media and information will generate more sales. Hopefully - if this campaign goes well, I'm able to order production. I am also comfortable with covering a part of the cost myself, so we don't need to wait for exactly 100%, might even bring the goal down, to hopefully make commitment easier for potential new customers.

While i work on the website, I'll also spend some time reaching out to influencers, youtubers, reviewers etc. If you have any suggestions, please reply to this thread! :)
Alternatively you can ask your favorite reviewers if they want to review the case! Just tell them to E-mail me at contact@densium.net. NO reviewer is too small! Once we have some stock I will not be shy handing out free samples to reviewers!

I'll be available every day to answer questions, do not hesitate to ask - No question is too stupid!!

December 30th (2021) update:

I need your opinion! Which one of the 2 extended versions below would you be most interested in and why? Reply to this thread with your answer [More info below picture]

View attachment 1518

Due to requests from people wanting to fit some 'longer' hardware in the Densium 4, I am considering making an extended version. The numbers above each case is referring to their internal lenght, and also translates directly into GPU lenght supported. The extended version will be identical to the orignal Densium 4, only the length differs.

Only one of the extended versions will be made.

The original Densium 4 [180mm]Densium 4+ [200mm]Densium 4++ [220mm]
Pros
  • Smallest and most portable.
  • Biggest Height to Depth ratio, for that 'vertical' look.
  • Fits GEEEK modular flex-atx PSU (L-Version)
  • Fits Asus dual mini and EVGA XC Graphics cards.
  • Easier cable routing
  • Fits more SSD's if you have an ITX-GPU
  • Fits all GEEEK modular Flex-ATX PSU
  • Easier cable routing.
  • Likely fits rumored new HDPlex PSU.
  • Fits even longer GPU/more SSD
Cons
  • Doesn't fit GEEEK modular PSU's
  • Not many GPU options
  • Only room for 1 SSD (non M.2)
  • Most challenging cable routing
  • Increased size and footprint
  • Increased size and footprint
Dimensions and volume220x190x98mm, 4L220x~210x98mm ~4.5L220x~230x98mm ~5L

December 25th (2021) update:

Merry Christmas to all!

Our 72h promo went very well, and I have some good news!
We did get 20 pre-orders for the Densium 4, but that's not the best part!
Due to us getting 20 sales in ~72h, our manufacturer has agreed to follow through with production of a smaller Quantity.
This means we're able to cut our funding goal almost IN HALF, as a result of a lowered funding goal, we have officially plowed through 1/3 of our new goal! [In 72 hours!!] It's looking bright!

Our plan moving forward is to create a better, more informatory and more convincing product page - Then combine this with a new campaign in early-mid January. Then maybe, Just maybe - we're able to reach our goal!

A giant thanks to everyone who've ordered!

Pre-Launch Content below:

[AR Links at the bottom of the post]
Hello Enthusiasts!

An introduction: We are Densium, and we'll attempt to open a new store, made by- and for SFFPC Enthusiasts.
We are not here to talk about ourself, but our first project - You can read more about us at Densium.net.

Because we've been learning along the way, we have not been confident enough to share our project with the community before now.
We wanted to keep the uncertainty regarding waiting times, prototyping and launch to a minimum, to spare potential buyers of staying up at night waiting for an update.
(And trust us, you would have been waiting for a long time by now)

We now have our first prototype on hand, but we have another prototype with improved design being quoted at the time of posting.

Case Specs (V1)
  • 4 liters in volume
  • Height 222mm
  • Width 98mm
  • Depth 183mm
  • 1.2mm powdercoated steel
  • 5mm waxed Rosewood front panel.
  • Acetal (PCIe bracket mount, and glued to front panel for screwing into front panel.)
  • White illuminated powerbutton.
Hardware Compatibility:
  • 39mm CPU Cooler height
  • ITX GPU (175mm)
  • Flex-ATX power supply (Mounted below motherboard)
  • 2.5inch 7mm thick SSD will fit snuggly between side panel and PSU on CPU side.
  • 185mm ADT-Link riser cable.
  • Ram Clearance approx. 45mm
  • ITX Motherboards only.
Update December 1st 2021

We now have now recieved our second protoype. This time we made sure to order a white unit, to see if our manufacturer could handle it well. Good news, they look amazing.

View attachment 1456 View attachment 1458

Here are some pictures with components:

View attachment 1461 View attachment 1463 View attachment 1464 View attachment 1462

Last edited:

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
This might be a stretch but is there a way to add mounting if the motherboard is flipped facing the GPU? That might give it an edge over other cases like this that offer something for APUs and a bit more cooler height in a gpuless build. I'm thinking about next gen Ryzen apu and how there's not a case like that with this flexibility.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
This might be a stretch but is there a way to add mounting if the motherboard is flipped facing the GPU? That might give it an edge over other cases like this that offer something for APUs and a bit more cooler height in a gpuless build. I'm thinking about next gen Ryzen apu and how there's not a case like that with this flexibility.
This idea is actually a very interesting idea!

I think it might be possible, but you would then have to substitude the side panel for another panel with standoffs for the motherboard. I will try it out in Solidworks and update you about it.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
This idea is actually a very interesting idea!

I think it might be possible, but you would then have to substitude the side panel for another panel with standoffs for the motherboard. I will try it out in Solidworks and update you about it.
Yeah that's probably the more straight forward solution. I didn't know how the internals were mount so wasn't entirely sure what would be possible. I'm sure some people have modded velka 3s or K39s to do something similar.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Yeah that's probably the more straight forward solution. I didn't know how the internals were mount so wasn't entirely sure what would be possible. I'm sure some people have modded velka 3s or K39s to do something similar.
After tinkering a little bit in solidworks i have found that this is not possible with current design, since the motherboard sticks out about 13.5mm below the IO cutout. When you flip the motherboard, this part is facing the opposite way, and i have not accomodated for this. There are some other minor problems, but it might work with a DC-ATX power supply.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Hello again,

i actually found a cheap and reasonable solution. I can mount the motherboard correctly with a side panel substitute, but flex-atx power supply would not be compatible with this layout.

However, we are working closely together with Pico-box and also with a mean-well certified distributor, so we can offer very reasonable DC-ATX solutions, both with and without external brick.

We will place an order for pieces needed to achieve this, and update the thread once we have pieces on hand.

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
Since the design is similar to the Velka, perhaps there is a small tweak you could do to make it stand out? Currently, the velka 3 can not fit the hdplex ac-dc and dc-dc unit. So only powersupply option is a loud flex atx psu or a hdplex dc-dc with a huge 330 watt power brick.

Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Since the design is similar to the Velka, perhaps there is a small tweak you could do to make it stand out? Currently, the velka 3 can not fit the hdplex ac-dc and dc-dc unit. So only powersupply option is a loud flex atx psu or a hdplex dc-dc with a huge 330 watt power brick.
Yes, that might be an option. We are also developing an extended version of the case, for those who have the EVGA 3060 Ti XC and Asus Dual Mini 3060 Ti. This solution might be a little more viable in this solution.

Reactions: Bakaban

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Hello again,

i actually found a cheap and reasonable solution. I can mount the motherboard correctly with a side panel substitute, but flex-atx power supply would not be compatible with this layout.

However, we are working closely together with Pico-box and also with a mean-well certified distributor, so we can offer very reasonable DC-ATX solutions, both with and without external brick.

We will place an order for pieces needed to achieve this, and update the thread once we have pieces on hand.
I see, the PCIE end up hitting the flex. I also doesn't look like there's enough space if the flex was mounted on the other side of the case. I'd only do it if it makes sense as an option and cost of that flexibility. Might not make sense in the long run.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I see, the PCIE end up hitting the flex. I also doesn't look like there's enough space if the flex was mounted on the other side of the case. I'd only do it if it makes sense as an option and cost of that flexibility. Might not make sense in the long run.
I actually found a very reasonable and cost effective solution. It would have to be a add-on kit, since only a small portion of end users is going to need it.

Since many people already own a riser cable compatible with this case, i was considering selling riser cables separately. This is going to make way more sense now, so people can either choose if they want the ‘apu kit’ or riser together with their case. This way no one has to pay for something they dont really want.

As mentioned before, this would have to be together with a mean-well/pico-box (or hdplex)combo, which we can offer in our store for very reasonable prices as well.

I would argue this is actually a favorable solution because high quality flex psu (like enp7660b) are expensive and very overkill. - and cheap ones are notoriously noisy. With mean-well you can get 200w of passive cooling, which should be enough to power any APU build.

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
I actually found a very reasonable and cost effective solution. It would have to be a add-on kit, since only a small portion of end users is going to need it.

Since many people already own a riser cable compatible with this case, i was considering selling riser cables separately. This is going to make way more sense now, so people can either choose if they want the ‘apu kit’ or riser together with their case. This way no one has to pay for something they dont really want.

As mentioned before, this would have to be together with a mean-well/pico-box (or hdplex)combo, which we can offer in our store for very reasonable prices as well.

I would argue this is actually a favorable solution because high quality flex psu (like enp7660b) are expensive and very overkill. - and cheap ones are notoriously noisy. With mean-well you can get 200w of passive cooling, which should be enough to power any APU build.
Yeah, meanwel/pico for 200ish watt apu builds, hdplex 400 watt for small gpu + cpu builds.

Also, maybe something to keep in mind for the gpu-side that a lot of small cases (velka, k39, metalfish s3, loli, etc etc) overlook: generally the small itx gpu cards (especially the single fan models and most of the double fan models) have a heatsink with fins running along the lenght of the card: so it exhaust hot air at the back where the hdmi/dp ports are, but it also exhausts hot air in the front. A lot of small cases have a closed off front panel and just enough room to fit a gpu, so that hot air has nowhere to go. Perhaps allow for some exhaust to escape through the front with a mesh/holes?

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Yeah, meanwel/pico for 200ish watt apu builds, hdplex 400 watt for small gpu + cpu builds.

Also, maybe something to keep in mind for the gpu-side that a lot of small cases (velka, k39, metalfish s3, loli, etc etc) overlook: generally the small itx gpu cards (especially the single fan models and most of the double fan models) have a heatsink with fins running along the lenght of the card: so it exhaust hot air at the back where the hdmi/dp ports are, but it also exhausts hot air in the front. A lot of small cases have a closed off front panel and just enough room to fit a gpu, so that hot air has nowhere to go. Perhaps allow for some exhaust to escape through the front with a mesh/holes?
Thanks for suggestion, but i think we’re going to make a pass on this to preserve the aesthetics of the front panel. However modding this kind of thing should not be that hard :)

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2021
Love the idea, but honestly, if it is cheaper than the velka 3, I'll take your entire stock. I love the idea of the wooden front panel. Maybe you could make it so that you could design a custom front panel and swap it out(such as let's say I want to CNC one which offers more airflow for the case)

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
Yeh, I'm interested as well, though still hoping for a second slightly larger version with hdplex support :-)

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Love the idea, but honestly, if it is cheaper than the velka 3, I'll take your entire stock. I love the idea of the wooden front panel. Maybe you could make it so that you could design a custom front panel and swap it out(such as let's say I want to CNC one which offers more airflow for the case)
Glad to hear you're interested. For your delight i can announce that the case will be considerably cheaper, especially for those who pre-order. Also we will offer much cheaper worldwide shipping.

Regarding the custom front panels; The 'fastening' brackets behind the front panel are detachable, so it would be able to cnc something custom, although the brackets would possible a little obstructive, at least aesthetically.

Yeh, I'm interested as well, though still hoping for a second slightly larger version with hdplex support :-)
Although we have not yet implemented features to mount a HDPlex PSU, theres possibilities to have an add-on kit which supports this, would not be hard, nor very expensive. Sadly, during our establishment phase, we can't afford too many 'bits and pieces' together with our cases. Our unit cost is already high because we can't yet risk to purchase a large order quantity - Therefore we have to prioritize keeping down the unit cost enough to keep the prices appealing - Even though it breaks our heart.

Hopefully we can offer more of these 'extras' in the future, when we gain more trust and customers.

We can still make some last minute changes to the design, so we can possibly add some screw holes so you can mount your hdplex with the m2.5 screw holes on the underside, although this would hardly count as 'full-support.' If you own a 3D printer i would happily design some files for you that you can print within a few hours, to further increase support for your hdplex.

Reactions: Bakaban

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
Glad to hear you're interested. For your delight i can announce that the case will be considerably cheaper, especially for those who pre-order. Also we will offer much cheaper worldwide shipping.

Regarding the custom front panels; The 'fastening' brackets behind the front panel are detachable, so it would be able to cnc something custom, although the brackets would possible a little obstructive, at least aesthetically.

Although we have not yet implemented features to mount a HDPlex PSU, theres possibilities to have an add-on kit which supports this, would not be hard, nor very expensive. Sadly, during our establishment phase, we can't afford too many 'bits and pieces' together with our cases. Our unit cost is already high because we can't yet risk to purchase a large order quantity - Therefore we have to prioritize keeping down the unit cost enough to keep the prices appealing - Even though it breaks our heart.

Hopefully we can offer more of these 'extras' in the future, when we gain more trust and customers.

We can still make some last minute changes to the design, so we can possibly add some screw holes so you can mount your hdplex with the m2.5 screw holes on the underside, although this would hardly count as 'full-support.' If you own a 3D printer i would happily design some files for you that you can print within a few hours, to further increase support for your hdplex.
I like the way you offer help and possible solutions, that's a plus in my book. The problem is more to do with the HDplex ac-dc unit measuring 180 mm in lenght (with a few extra mm's for bending the wires) so it just wont fight lenghtwise, though the dc-dc part will and with a power brick that is a workable solution. Screw holes in the bottem to screw it in is a nice addition, but for that part a good piece of double sided tape works just as well. I believe velka at one point had models with screw holes for it in their velka 3 line up but then removed it again or something.

Besides, with so many flex-atx cases out there nowadays, perhaps in a year or two some smaller less noisy options will be available :)

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2021
I like the way you offer help and possible solutions, that's a plus in my book. The problem is more to do with the HDplex ac-dc unit measuring 180 mm in lenght (with a few extra mm's for bending the wires) so it just wont fight lenghtwise, though the dc-dc part will and with a power brick that is a workable solution. Screw holes in the bottem to screw it in is a nice addition, but for that part a good piece of double sided tape works just as well. I believe velka at one point had models with screw holes for it in their velka 3 line up but then removed it again or something.

Besides, with so many flex-atx cases out there nowadays, perhaps in a year or two some smaller less noisy options will be available :)
Someone get this man another case that can house the HDPlex 400w power supply combo. He is dying.