Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com

MOD EDIT
------------
Original poster last seen on the forum on Feb 24, 2021 & does not seem to be responsive. Product/order related pages in the Dice website are now either inactive or password protected. At the time of this post, it seems that there are some people still waiting for their case/parts.

Caveat emptor.

Latest Prototype 2019.12.29

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
That is very cool, I really like the idea of the distroplate in this form factor. I am currently working on a custom loop for my Ghost S1 and one of the most challenging parts is location for pump/reservoir. I look forward finished product. What are you thoughts on radiator support?

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
That is very cool, I really like the idea of the distroplate in this form factor. I am currently working on a custom loop for my Ghost S1 and one of the most challenging parts is location for pump/reservoir. I look forward finished product. What are you thoughts on radiator support?
Thank you, as you can see in the second picture when you expand it, u can fit a 240rad both top and bottom, so you can make a full loop with separate rads for gpu, and cpu. The bottom one pull air under the case and a top rad can exhaust. But you can use only one rad, if you want aswell. :)

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
Looks very promising. I had a similar concept in mind for a future project. I'm looking forward to see more from yours.

Reactions: diceboii13

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Any consideration to accommodating 280mm radiators in top and bottom? 280s are much more space efficient with regards to heat dissipation. A 360mm radiator is only single-digit percentages better than a 280 but requires 3 fans so it's louder and the fans are smaller so need to run a higher RPM for equivalent performance.

As an aside, if you can make a distro plate, have you considered just making a distro plate for an existing case, such as the Ghost or the upcoming Sliger?

• Love
Reactions: LostEnergy

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Subbed, a really interesting project you have created.

However, make the distro plate an optional feature, for example if you use an AIO it will be unnecessary and that space might be used for 2.5 drives or more compatibility. Also, might wanna study to change the holes on top and bottom, since they look somewhat restrictive and hard to manufacture and might affect structure integrity.

It looks pretty damn good, my thumbs up on overall design.

Last edited:

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Any consideration to accommodating 280mm radiators in top and bottom? 280s are much more space efficient with regards to heat dissipation. A 360mm radiator is only single-digit percentages better than a 280 but requires 3 fans so it's louder and the fans are smaller so need to run a higher RPM for equivalent performance.

As an aside, if you can make a distro plate, have you considered just making a distro plate for an existing case, such as the Ghost or the upcoming Sliger?
For the truth, i didnt think about the 280 rads. But I tested it, and works out well. The only thing to modify in the case is the top/bottom radiator/fan holder. I need to add more holes to it because the 280 is wider than the 240. But fits nice. There is some pictures about it.
I just found a thicker 3D modell so dont freak out lol.

And the distro plates for existing cases is a good idea. Maybe I will try it out. Thanks for the idea!

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Subbed, a really interesting project you have created.

However, make the distro plate an optional feature, for example if you use an AIO it will be unnecessary and that space might be used for 2.5 drives or more compatibility. Also, might wanna study to change the holes on top and bottom, since they look somewhat restrictive and hard to manufacture and might affect structure integrity.

It looks pretty damn good, my thumbs up on overall design.
I thinked about it when I started, but thats a hard question. The 2 selling point for this case could be the distro plate, and the expandability, so I dont really want to make these as an optional feature. I want to give them out of the box. Maybe I will give the normal frontpanel in the box aswell if the price is exceptable. If too high I will do it as a choice at the buying.

The holes is hard to manufacture, i know, i talked about it with some manufacturers, so it will be a bit different at the end. But I like this one so much... :( Thank you btw!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Very cool and unique design with the distro plate as you're tackling something that is a pain point for so many water-cooled sff systems. With the addition of 280mm support that really brings it up a notch. I also really like the ventilation design on the top, gives me 80's sci fi vibes.

Have you spoken to some of the manufacturers that make some of the cases for other Forum case brands, like Lian-Li or Jonsbo - who I think also use Lian-Li but I've seen people go through them to get prototypes made - also Velkase maybe able to assist if Michael's not too busy with the Velka 3/5/7 projects.

I think prototyping is always going to be expensive, it'll cost you a large amount for your first few cases, but if you intend on trying to get the case backed on Kickstarter or Indiegogo you'll need to get some publicity for the case through content creators since custom water-cooled sff systems are a niche already.

The idea has heaps of potential and I can't wait to see how it goes, but take it slow and don't rush to crowdfunding til you've create enough awareness.

Also +1 to just creating the distro plates for existing cases, lots of potential buyers on here for custom distro plates and if you were to do one for the Sliger SM570/580 or Ghost you'd probably get a lot of interest.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Very cool and unique design with the distro plate as you're tackling something that is a pain point for so many water-cooled sff systems. With the addition of 280mm support that really brings it up a notch. I also really like the ventilation design on the top, gives me 80's sci fi vibes.

Have you spoken to some of the manufacturers that make some of the cases for other Forum case brands, like Lian-Li or Jonsbo - who I think also use Lian-Li but I've seen people go through them to get prototypes made - also Velkase maybe able to assist if Michael's not too busy with the Velka 3/5/7 projects.

I think prototyping is always going to be expensive, it'll cost you a large amount for your first few cases, but if you intend on trying to get the case backed on Kickstarter or Indiegogo you'll need to get some publicity for the case through content creators since custom water-cooled sff systems are a niche already.

The idea has heaps of potential and I can't wait to see how it goes, but take it slow and don't rush to crowdfunding til you've create enough awareness.

Also +1 to just creating the distro plates for existing cases, lots of potential buyers on here for custom distro plates and if you were to do one for the Sliger SM570/580 or Ghost you'd probably get a lot of interest.

Thanks! I'm happy if its got your attention :D I wrote an e-mail to the lian-li factory, but didnt replied yet. And i wrote a message to Michael, I hope he can help, maybe with some tips would be awesome. I just got a ghost's 3D modell so if I have a bit of freetime, will try to do a distro design for it.

Reactions: bricemx

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Nice concept! A distro plate would be ideal for small cases.
I'm not a big fan of expandable cases at the moment. As most don't look expanded as when they are small. The expanded state just looks temporary to me. Your renderings looks great though :)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Nice concept! A distro plate would be ideal for small cases.
I'm not a big fan of expandable cases at the moment. As most don't look expanded as when they are small. The expanded state just looks temporary to me. Your renderings looks great though :)
Thanks! The expandability is just an extra if you dont want to watercool it, you can just close it like a normal sff case.

Reactions: bricemx

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
As you guys said, I tried to make a distro for the ghost, but end result isn't stunning. The PSU is too close to the frontpanel, and there is almost no room for the DDC pump. Its makeable, but not too aesthetic. What do you think? Any Idea?

Reactions: bricemx and m.trix

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
As you guys said, I tried to make a distro for the ghost, but end result isn't stunning. The PSU is too close to the frontpanel, and there is almost no room for the DDC pump. Its makeable, but not too aesthetic. What do you think? Any Idea?

What about placing the distro plate on the bottom? It may or may not be contained within a L tophat on the bottom. Intake will be from the side panels, and exhaust through a top radiator (inside a L tophat)

Reactions: diceboii13