Advice Searching for small case which fits nvidia 4090 with ek block and mini ITX (all water cooled externaly)

TheBigG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Hello,
After changing from a 1080ti to a 4090 I noticed that the GPU doesn't fit in my current case https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ooling-enthusiast-built-in-distroplate.10743/ also the 2x280mm rads can't handle the heat of the 4090.
So I want to change to a external MO-RA3 to which I will also mount my reservoire and pump. Since I travel with my computer between two location I will build at both a mo-ra with pump and reservoir and will only carry the computer itself.
So I'm looking for a small case which fits a 4090 with this waterblock https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector2-fe-rtx-4090-d-rgb-nickel-acetal + itx mainboard + a SFX PSU. Since I already have the hardware and only l lack the case I would need something which I can buy now and not have to wait months.
Thanks everybody for recommendations.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
As you didnt tell us fellow SFF enthusiasts WHICH 4090 you got, I'd guess its the Founders Edition.
So, for reference, geizhals tells us its dimensions are: 304 x 137 x 61 mm

The longest 4090 listed on geizhals seems to be close under the length of 360 mm.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So, based on that assumption, including the TO is located in Europe, my suggestions would be:

- SSUPD Meshlicious - you can go up to a quadruple slot configuration, if you move the mainboard tray into the resp. position
- Meshroom S - the slightly enhanced Meshlicious V2, but surprisingly, in the quadruple conf, less width for GPUs (80 mm vs 83 of the original Meshlicious)
- Cooler Master NR200P - acc. to the SFF Master List, it supports GPUs with a height up to 70 mm, and a length of up to 330 mm
- Lian Li Q58 - supports up to 68 mm height, 320 mm length
- Sliger SM560, SM580, SV590, S620, Cerberus, Elko - all support at least 320 mm length and 67mm height (although notably NOT the S610, because its maximum GPU depth is 132 mm, and with most GPUs having at least 137, thats maybe a bit too much of a stretch)
- SFFtime N-ATX v2 - potentially available, IDK about on how easy to grab though ..

Maybe also:
- Lian Li /DAN A4-h²o - I've asked a similar question in the A4 thread, but with a different goal in mind. Acc. to Dan, the maximum depth is 65 mm, but "Keep in mind 5mm from it is the backplate zone"
- Sliger SV540 - maximum GPU length is 310, but maybe still doable?
- Silverstone RV01/E/03, Fortress - says dual-slot, but AFAIK its a console-style case, so that doesnt really matter; acc. to SFF Master List, maximum GPU dimensions are for all of those cases: 330 x 149 x 68 mm, so it should fit?

cu, w0lf.

TheBigG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
As you didnt tell us fellow SFF enthusiasts WHICH 4090 you got, I'd guess its the Founders Edition.
So, for reference, geizhals tells us its dimensions are: 304 x 137 x 61 mm

The longest 4090 listed on geizhals seems to be close under the length of 360 mm.

cu, w0lf.
Hi thanks for the reply, I thought it was clear that this is about a founders edition because I linked to the water block so you could get the dimensions.

So, based on that assumption, including the TO is located in Europe, my suggestions would be:

- SSUPD Meshlicious - you can go up to a quadruple slot configuration, if you move the mainboard tray into the resp. position
- Meshroom S - the slightly enhanced Meshlicious V2, but surprisingly, in the quadruple conf, less width for GPUs (80 mm vs 83 of the original Meshlicious)
- Cooler Master NR200P - acc. to the SFF Master List, it supports GPUs with a height up to 70 mm, and a length of up to 330 mm
- Lian Li Q58 - supports up to 68 mm height, 320 mm length
- Sliger SM560, SM580, SV590, S620, Cerberus, Elko - all support at least 320 mm length and 67mm height (although notably NOT the S610, because its maximum GPU depth is 132 mm, and with most GPUs having at least 137, thats maybe a bit too much of a stretch)
- SFFtime N-ATX v2 - potentially available, IDK about on how easy to grab though ..

Maybe also:
- Lian Li /DAN A4-h²o - I've asked a similar question in the A4 thread, but with a different goal in mind. Acc. to Dan, the maximum depth is 65 mm, but "Keep in mind 5mm from it is the backplate zone"
- Sliger SV540 - maximum GPU length is 310, but maybe still doable?
- Silverstone RV01/E/03, Fortress - says dual-slot, but AFAIK its a console-style case, so that doesnt really matter; acc. to SFF Master List, maximum GPU dimensions are for all of those cases: 330 x 149 x 68 mm, so it should fit?

cu, w0lf.

All that cases are massive beside the DAN A4. I thought I could get away with a smaller case since all cooling happens outside of the case. Also it seems only the lian li q58 does fit the card because it is 236.3 x 170 x 27mm

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Hi thanks for the reply, I thought it was clear that this is about a founders edition because I linked to the water block so you could get the dimensions.

All that cases are massive beside the DAN A4. I thought I could get away with a smaller case since all cooling happens outside of the case. Also it seems only the lian li q58 does fit the card because it is 236.3 x 170 x 27mm
Someone managed to put a FULL 4090 FE into the Dan A4 h2o: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lian-li-dan-a4-h2o.16201/page-41#post-270516

And acc. to the SFF Master List the maximum GPU space is: 330 x 155 x 65 mm (-5 mm, as mentioned by Dan in the A4 h2o thread).
So I'd say its gonna fit :)

Addendum: No, doesnt look like there is anything SMALLER fitting AND easily available. Except if you want to go via a Taobao Agent or Aliexpress. But that would probably take ages.

If you're adventurous, you could still just take a smaller case and try some drilling, sawing and realigning, like quite a few folks did with eg. the Fractal Node 202. Or take one case that seems a bit on the larger side, and then chop it to a more handy size. Eg. I've been pondering about converting the Silverstone SG05 to pure watercooling (and its still a fancy pastime once in a while), or do a "rat rod" mod on the Sharkoon QB One or the Silverstone SG11 - first test-fit everything, then chop the case to a more befitting size :)

cu, w0lf.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Someone managed to put a FULL 4090 FE into the Dan A4 h2o: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lian-li-dan-a4-h2o.16201/page-41#post-270516

And acc. to the SFF Master List the maximum GPU space is: 330 x 155 x 65 mm (-5 mm, as mentioned by Dan in the A4 h2o thread).
So I'd say its gonna fit :)

cu, w0lf.
What are you on about, that case is way too large, he's going to put a waterblock the GPU so those dimensions don't matter, the dimensions with it installed should be close to 236.3 x 148 x 27mm.

Hello,
After changing from a 1080ti to a 4090 I noticed that the GPU doesn't fit in my current case https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ooling-enthusiast-built-in-distroplate.10743/ also the 2x280mm rads can't handle the heat of the 4090.
So I want to change to a external MO-RA3 to which I will also mount my reservoire and pump. Since I travel with my computer between two location I will build at both a mo-ra with pump and reservoir and will only carry the computer itself.
So I'm looking for a small case which fits a 4090 with this waterblock https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector2-fe-rtx-4090-d-rgb-nickel-acetal + itx mainboard + a SFX PSU. Since I already have the hardware and only l lack the case I would need something which I can buy now and not have to wait months.
Thanks everybody for recommendations.

@TheBigG The Sliger CL520 is the smallest I can find at 8L, and should be fairly easy to get into a backpack.

You could go even smaller with a waterblock that has the ports inline with the length of the card, as the EK block is too wide for most of the compacter cases, with a block that's as wide as the 4090 FE itself, you could go as small as 6L.

Reactions: TheBigG

TheBigG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
What are you on about, that case is way too large, he's going to put a waterblock the GPU so those dimensions don't matter, the dimensions with it installed should be close to 236.3 x 148 x 27mm.
yeah that dimensions are right but I needed a little wiggle room for the 12VHPWR, that is why I wrote 236.3 x 170 x 27 because I needed to build now and 90 degree adapters are not there yet.

@TheBigG The Sliger CL520 is the smallest I can find at 8L, and should be fairly easy to get into a backpack.

You could go even smaller with a waterblock that has the ports inline with the length of the card, as the EK block is too wide for most of the compacter cases, with a block that's as wide as the 4090 FE itself, you could go as small as 6L.
Yes thank you for the recommendation I did go with the Raijintek Ophion Mini-ITX (sadly still a big waste of space because it fits normal PSUs) for now because it was available via next day shipping and I already had the EK block here. Maybe I will go with the sliger if I'm at home again and have a littlebit more time to build.

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Hey @TheBigG I'm curious what your experience was with the dice flow case. Also I would sort of like to contest the notion that the 4090 is too much heat for 2x280mm rads... I guess maybe if you insist on OCing it to break benchmark records or something, but it can easily put out 100% of its performance when limited at 300 or 350 watts. Wild guess but maybe you're moving to a different case for a reason that is not this stated reason.

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
If you really want to go for it, do an s4m with a 500w +250w HDPLEX Gan power supply. Bulkhead connectors through the bottom pci slot and low profile watercooling fittings.
Check for fitment because I am just spitballing here, but I think it would work :)