Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Working on the packaging!

Whippler

Trash Compacter
Nov 11, 2019
I don't think what someone will use this case without any radiator. Only option without expand for rad it is use short GPU or APU and 120 rad in free space.
All other option is one or two 240/280 rads. 99% of this rads is ~30mm. 45mm in my opinion is useless option.
Also some people will use one rad and two additional bottom/top 25mm fans.
Personally im going to use 280x45 rad on one side, and couple hard drives on the other side!

Fiction

Chassis Packer
Jun 6, 2019
I loved the modularity idea, but not as much once I saw pics of the fully expanded finished product. I think this case would be a no brainer with space for a single radiator at the top or bottom (one or the other - not both), and a distroplate that expands the entire height of the case. That keeps the gorgeous signature distroplate face (even bigger and more beautiful/impressive this way), and doesn't leave unsightly air gaps above and below it if both rads were taken advantage of. It should also help with engineering/manufacturing the side and top panels.

Either way you go, I think this case is a potential game changer for many, and I look forward to seeing the project launch in all its glory!
I agree with this, most people who get the water-cooling distroplate version would be fitting as much supportable rads, while staying true to its small form factor roots. So expandability isn't as necessary, The full signature distroplate is much more important. also agree with @diceboii13 about the 30mm size for rads. I think bigger than 30mm rads is overkill if you're already doing 2 rads, makes it much smaller as well as opposed to going 45mm rads on top and bottom (way too overkill tbh). I think being true to being as small as possible while fitting the hardware needed + the distroplate, for a sweet size to power would make this one of the best cases on the market.

edit: i see he said with just 1 rad instead of 2, besides that i still agree with everything else tho. I think 2 rads on top might be overkill but for high end components. the important thing is the full sized distro that covers the whole front.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
I agree with this, most people who get the water-cooling distroplate version would be fitting as much supportable rads, while staying true to its small form factor roots. So expandability isn't as necessary, The full signature distroplate is much more important. also agree with @diceboii13 about the 30mm size for rads. I think bigger than 30mm rads is overkill if you're already doing 2 rads, makes it much smaller as well as opposed to going 45mm rads on top and bottom (way too overkill tbh). I think being true to being as small as possible while fitting the hardware needed + the distroplate, for a sweet size to power would make this one of the best cases on the market.

edit: i see he said with just 1 rad instead of 2, besides that i still agree with everything else tho. I think 2 rads on top might be overkill but for high end components. the important thing is the full sized distro that covers the whole front.
I just think, it will be no design changes for this model. In the past days I try different ways to improve the design, but I can't. I have so much sick ideas for the future, but first this case need to be as perfect as possible! I make some notches to make the expanded distro design a bit busy and catchy looking. As we tested with @D10S some holes in the expanded panels improves cooling capacity, so its not for just aesthetic :p. In the first test, the case has no legs, with solid acrilyc panels, so air cant be pulled from under or sides, just from the front hole, and still be able to cool a 9900k with almost no ventilation. But Im looking for any ideas you had guys.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
I just think, it will be no design changes for this model. In the past days I try different ways to improve the design, but I can't. I have so much sick ideas for the future, but first this case need to be as perfect as possible! I make some notches to make the expanded distro design a bit busy and catchy looking. As we tested with @D10S some holes in the expanded panels improves cooling capacity, so its not for just aesthetic :p. In the first test, the case has no legs, with solid acrilyc panels, so air cant be pulled from under or sides, just from the front hole, and still be able to cool a 9900k with almost no ventilation. But Im looking for any ideas you had guys.

I would strongly advocate for having feet at the bottom, front holes or not. Otherwise the bottom rad fans will be completely choked off. Thermal testing should make this apparent.

Reactions: diceboii13 and D10S

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
I would strongly advocate for having feet at the bottom, front holes or not. Otherwise the bottom rad fans will be completely choked off. Thermal testing should make this apparent.
Dont worry I already ordered a lot of legs. These legs are 25mm diameter and 8mm tall, comes with silver and black colors, and most importantly aluminium with rubber pads! They looks sick!

Adding feet to this case is really simple ...
...I stole mine from an old twenty year old DVD player!!! ?

(anyway I think @diceboii13 has foreseen them!)

So badass man! ?

• Haha
Reactions: bricemx and D10S

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Just got my first rough piece of the final model..Instantly put in my huge evga 1080ti ftw lol. Actually its really accurate. Its missing the threads, and the countersunks, but it will come soon, maybe in the next 1-2 weeks. We choose the colors and the surface treatment, and the manufacturer said (turned out he is a huge geek aswell) we should make a fully polished sheet metal piece of it. Polished stainless steel is a bit expensive material but who nows maybe somebody likes it. Its like a softer gunmetal finish. You can see the sidepanels and the frontpanel is a bit offposition, but its because the screws that I used, and its missing the threads as I said. Its looking really promising as a rough model. I hope when all the parts (buttons, feets, glass panels, cables etc.) arrive I can put together the first production ready sample! ?

Syntax_Error

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 19, 2019
Oh... Nevermind.

Ignoring my previous ignorance, will case include a cover? Using an integrated pump into the cpu like this one seems more cost effective

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
Its not a good pump mate.
It is hardly able to maintain flow with 1 radiator and 1 cpu block, not to mention that getting rid of air inside is a nightmare.
The most cost effective option would be to get DDC compatible pump from aliexpress(Syscooling P67a for example, it is pretty good-Diceboii said there will be an option for DDC pump, p67a is way better than Alphacool DC-LT) and some used watercooling block, like XSPC Raystorm or something from EK, they are still pretty good.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Its not a good pump mate.
It is hardly able to maintain flow with 1 radiator and 1 cpu block, not to mention that getting rid of air inside is a nightmare.
The most cost effective option would be to get DDC compatible pump from aliexpress(Syscooling P67a for example, it is pretty good-Diceboii said there will be an option for DDC pump, p67a is way better than Alphacool DC-LT) and some used watercooling block, like XSPC Raystorm or something from EK, they are still pretty good.
Indeed the appeal of this case over something like a Sliger SM580 is that you can place a proper D5 pump in it, which is quieter and stronger than the pump-in-block combos and while it has less head pressure than the DDC it has better flow rate. If you want a DC-LT pump like the Eisbaer LT you have plenty of other options.

Reactions: diceboii13

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Nice.

Quick question, will the price include a pump? Will it also include a cover (for the distroplate) for those who want to use another pump?
Thanks mate! No its not, in Europe D5 pumps cost around 60-80 euros which is around 90 usd or something. DDC pumps also in that price range maybe a bit less. We include the bracket for the D5, so you can properly mount it to the distro plate (reservoir) but you need to buy the D5, as I currently know any D5 must work. We working on the DDC version aswell, it will be easier because no mounting bracket needed, just 4 screws. It will be a choice at buying what you prefer.

You realize that D5 costs almost the same as the entire case, right?
Its not that expensive :p *or my case isnt that cheap.. yikes*

Oh... Nevermind.

Ignoring my previous ignorance, will case include a cover? Using an integrated pump into the cpu like this one seems more cost effective
Yeah its better in cost, but you got loud buzzy and week unit, that barely able to push the fluid through a 240 rad. Not blaming alphacool they make great products, but this unit is maybe for 120/140 rads. In that case you can put 2x280s.

Reactions: D10S