Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hmm... What exactly is the projected layout for a Cerebus Mini...?

If it is just a shorter Cerberus, that might kill a good bit of watercooling capabilities...?

But if the 'vertically-reversible' means moving the motherboard tray to put the GPU slot up top, that might help some with cooling of the GPU (although I doubt there would be space for a Morpheus II with 120x25mm fans)...

If only Fractal Design would make a sub-20 liter Meshify Nano, with room for a 280 radiator & 140x25 fans up front...
Yeah same question here...what is layout of Cerberus-Mini project..;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
O my GOD....what did I see (by chance) on CES 2020 video on Aorus/Gigabyte stand :

Iron man mod in Cerberus-X?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i got an ATX board for my upgrade build, and I just had a thought:

the PSU might have placement difficulty (and it'll be limited to SFX PSUs), but that brief moment of realisation that an ATX board is within the outline of the cerberus 11U...

EDIT: i had the thought to do that mod, but I feel like it should really be able to fit a tower cooler for it to be worthwhile ._.

Last edited:

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
New to SFF. (Brief history: went away from PC gaming and did consoles+mac and now I'm back running my new Cerberus X with PopOS Linux for gaming).

My setup:
Case: Cerberus-X with window panel.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: AMD Prism RGB cooler (friend didn't want it)
Mobo: Asus Strix B450F
GfxCard: EVGA 1080 FTW
PSU: Corsair SF600 (in front position)
Storage: M.2 SSD
Cooling: In the bottom of the case I have a single NF-S12A PWM chromax intake fan.

Newb questions:

PSU
1. Could I run the SF600 reversed with the logo facing the window? This would result in the powersupply sucking up internal case air, how bad is that? (Alternatively: Is there a magnetic/decorative cover I could get to clean up the specifications side of the SF600?)
2. The SF600 combined with the internal power cord point the right-angle towards the outside of the case which causes a bend. I've considered a right angle, connector to reverse the right angle: https://www.newegg.com/tekit-right-angled-iec-adapter-up-angled-iec-320-c14-to-c13-adapter-for-lcd-wall-mount-tv/p/2VH-0003-00009?Description=C13 right angle&cm_re=C13_right_angle-_-9SIA50M6CA2914-_-Product Has anyone tried something like this?
3. Where are people getting braided cables to fit the SF600 and Cerberus X? I would need a relatively long 12V CPU connector but a fairly short motherboard connector. Has anyone ordered custom length cables, that can speak to good lengths to purchase? Also what sites are the ones to order from?

Cooling:
Linux does not allow me to control the fan curves very well. The Asus BIOS also does not let me control the fans very well. The problem is that the CPU fan spikes up loudly often. I am considering adding some more fans to hopefully move air into and out of the case to hopefully mitigate this.
1. Add another 120mm Noctua to the existing bottom of the case?
2. Add a 92mm Noctua to the rear?
3. Both 1 and 2?

Thank you in advance for any and all input you can provide.

Last edited:

cmsanford88

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 10, 2020
Hey Guys! New to the forum, just built myself a new workstation in the Cerberus and was very pleased with how it came out, figured I'd share. I work in the film industry and do primarily 3D modeling and rendering. I also move my computer a lot as I move from job to job or location to location. With all that in mind I wanted something compact and pretty sturdy with some very fast hardware in it. Went with a AMD Ryzen 3950x, an ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard, EVGA XC2 2080ti, and 64gb of ram. Storage is all NVME so there's some space savings there. Overall I didn't do anything too exotic with the build, but I was surprised at how open it still is inside the case.

The one slightly tricky thing I did, which was inspired by an alternate PSU mounting I saw on this forum, was put my power supply at the back corner of the case. Unlike the other forum user, I used the SFX bracket for the rear of the case, and attached it to the front using some stand-offs. This allowed me to have the power supply flattened against the back wall, but also to move it down enough for a second exhaust fan. This layout would also allow for a 240mm radiator on the swing-door, if I ever wanted to go that route. For now I only have the fans shown, and everthing is running very cool and quiet!

Thanks for the inspiration and I hope you enjoy the build!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
New to SFF. (Brief history: went away from PC gaming and did consoles+mac and now I'm back running my new Cerberus X with PopOS Linux for gaming).

My setup:
Case: Cerberus-X with window panel.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: AMD Prism RGB cooler (friend didn't want it)
Mobo: Asus Strix B450F
GfxCard: EVGA 1080 FTW
PSU: Corsair SF600 (in front position)
Storage: M.2 SSD
Cooling: In the bottom of the case I have a single NF-S12A PWM chromax intake fan.

Newb questions:

PSU
1. Could I run the SF600 reversed with the logo facing the window? This would result in the powersupply sucking up internal case air, how bad is that? (Alternatively: Is there a magnetic/decorative cover I could get to clean up the specifications side of the SF600?)
2. The SF600 combined with the internal power cord point the right-angle towards the outside of the case which causes a bend. I've considered a right angle, connector to reverse the right angle: https://www.newegg.com/tekit-right-angled-iec-adapter-up-angled-iec-320-c14-to-c13-adapter-for-lcd-wall-mount-tv/p/2VH-0003-00009?Description=C13 right angle&cm_re=C13_right_angle-_-9SIA50M6CA2914-_-Product Has anyone tried something like this?
3. Where are people getting braided cables to fit the SF600 and Cerberus X? I would need a relatively long 12V CPU connector but a fairly short motherboard connector. Has anyone ordered custom length cables, that can speak to good lengths to purchase? Also what sites are the ones to order from?

Cooling:
Linux does not allow me to control the fan curves very well. The Asus BIOS also does not let me control the fans very well. The problem is that the CPU fan spikes up loudly often. I am considering adding some more fans to hopefully move air into and out of the case to hopefully mitigate this.
1. Add another 120mm Noctua to the existing bottom of the case?
2. Add a 92mm Noctua to the rear?
3. Both 1 and 2?

Thank you in advance for any and all input you can provide.
Welcome to sff and Cerberus-x3 owner’s club..:)
I will answer you tomorrow..:D
Hey Guys! New to the forum, just built myself a new workstation in the Cerberus and was very pleased with how it came out, figured I'd share. I work in the film industry and do primarily 3D modeling and rendering. I also move my computer a lot as I move from job to job or location to location. With all that in mind I wanted something compact and pretty sturdy with some very fast hardware in it. Went with a AMD Ryzen 3950x, an ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard, EVGA XC2 2080ti, and 64gb of ram. Storage is all NVME so there's some space savings there. Overall I didn't do anything too exotic with the build, but I was surprised at how open it still is inside the case.

The one slightly tricky thing I did, which was inspired by an alternate PSU mounting I saw on this forum, was put my power supply at the back corner of the case. Unlike the other forum user, I used the SFX bracket for the rear of the case, and attached it to the front using some stand-offs. This allowed me to have the power supply flattened against the back wall, but also to move it down enough for a second exhaust fan. This layout would also allow for a 240mm radiator on the swing-door, if I ever wanted to go that route. For now I only have the fans shown, and everthing is running very cool and quiet!

Thanks for the inspiration and I hope you enjoy the build!

Nice setup.
You managed to get 2x120 slim fans on top, thanks to psu relocation. Could you share more pictures about your mod?

Reactions: sn0man

cmsanford88

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 10, 2020
Welcome to sff and Cerberus-x3 owner’s club..:)
I will answer you tomorrow..:D

Nice setup.
You managed to get 2x120 slim fans on top, thanks to psu relocation. Could you share more pictures about your mod?

Sure thing. So, I actually realized the bracket I'm using came with my Corsair PSU, it's for converting from SFX to ATX power supply mounts. I then dug through my parts bin and found a bunch of threaded stand-offs, I believe they're from and AIO cooler mounting kit. I attached those to the front of the bracket so that the whole PSU would sit about 3/4" off the front of the case. This allows room to route your power cable. I then poked the stand-offs through the vent holes in the front of the case, and secured them on the outside with corresponding thumb screws. I've attached a bunch of pictures that should hopefully explain more clearly.

The nice thing about the setup is you can pretty freely adjust where on the front of the case the PSU sits, the vent slots are so frequent that you could move it vertically or horizontally as needed. I guess you could also rotate the whole unit if that made more sense for your build. The drawback is that you're cantilevering the whole weight of the psu off the front panel. With the slightly goofy mounts I used it feels secure, but you can definitely still feel some wiggle just because the front panel itself can bend a litte. I'll report back if I have any issues long-term, as of right now it seems fine though.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Love the home brewed PSU mount ?. You could add washers on each stud if the vented panel is flexing too much.

Nice build!

Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sure thing. So, I actually realized the bracket I'm using came with my Corsair PSU, it's for converting from SFX to ATX power supply mounts. I then dug through my parts bin and found a bunch of threaded stand-offs, I believe they're from and AIO cooler mounting kit. I attached those to the front of the bracket so that the whole PSU would sit about 3/4" off the front of the case. This allows room to route your power cable. I then poked the stand-offs through the vent holes in the front of the case, and secured them on the outside with corresponding thumb screws. I've attached a bunch of pictures that should hopefully explain more clearly.

The nice thing about the setup is you can pretty freely adjust where on the front of the case the PSU sits, the vent slots are so frequent that you could move it vertically or horizontally as needed. I guess you could also rotate the whole unit if that made more sense for your build. The drawback is that you're cantilevering the whole weight of the psu off the front panel. With the slightly goofy mounts I used it feels secure, but you can definitely still feel some wiggle just because the front panel itself can bend a litte. I'll report back if I have any issues long-term, as of right now it seems fine though.

Thanks for sharing.
Indeed, simple mod :
  • Intel asetek retention kit
  • SFX-ATX backplate
Congratulations!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Well, It's only 12mm wider for the U12A!

Maybe having 15mm on top also it will keep proportion but letting install 15mm exhaust fans easily on top and better 280mm rad support to clear the connector :)

Cerberus X2

Reactions: sn0man

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i think that'll depend if they want to go out of the 20L definition ._. i mean i wouldn't mind cerberus-X to go larger in that direction, since there's just so much you can do with an ATX base before the variety of cooling is limited

also maybe invert the board layout, since we're starting to deal with heavier heatsinks

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
Does any one know what he name of the metal part "push-pins" that are used to secure the steel sides to the frame of the Cerberus? Was thinking hood pin but they are much shorter?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, It's only 12mm wider for the U12A!

Maybe having 15mm on top also it will keep proportion but letting install 15mm exhaust fans easily on top and better 280mm rad support to clear the connector :)

Cerberus X2
Issue I have with tower cooler inside cerberus is that airflow is not suited as front psu location is preventing proper arrival of fresh air.

Before we will need to have option to relocate PSU somewhere else, like on infinite vents, or at the bottom..;)