Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I've always loved the Cerb and Cerb X, following Aibo'/Jess' work back from the Nova days

Although I don't own one, I do feel part of the family with my Sliger S610 which is about to come back into play having been sidelined for a Dan A4 for a while

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Back to Nov 21' and launch of Alder's lake, I moved away from Mini ITX form factor, mostly due to appealing choice. (pricey, cpu cooler compatibility especially with more and more toasty cpu)
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-s620-itx-master-piece.16505/post-257111

Zen4 release confirmed my former choice on motherboard since. I noted pretty its excellent efficiency (Performance per watt) but Mini ITX offer was still not my taste at all.

Till end of 2023 when I saw this very surprising Minisforum BD770i

Minisforum BD770i : Mobile Zen 4 chip (R7 7745HX), 120mm CPU heatsink with rear exhaust path with liquid metal (height 50/15mm or 60/25mm fan, screw size M2.5 14/25mm), dual SSD slot (gen 5) with optimal heatsink/cooler on top, Gen 5 PCIe 16x Slot, 2x so DIMM DDR5 (up to 5200MTS), Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 / BT 5.3

I found this Mini ITX concept very appealing to me, especially as its price is pretty competitive.

After several weeks of reflection, I decided to buy MinisForum BD790i with Gskill so dimm 2x32Go DDR5 5200 MTS in order to test it as I wanted to experiment as it could be the Motherboard that will lead me back to Mini ITX...:D

It arrived by late mid February, since I'm testing it intensively.

On external assembly, my only remark will be on the nut for wifi antenna. Back i/o shield is not assembled by default. Thus you need to unscrew wifi nuts, fit i/o shield and put back nuts. Not ideal, but doable but this is twisting internal antenna cables.

I started next external becnhmark to test bios features, installing windows, etc..

BD790i came with Bios 1.05 (BD770i and BD790i are sharing same bios apparently), here are main features tested :
  • PCIe bandwith : auto, Gen 3/4/5
  • iGPU : activated or not
  • Redimensionable BAR : activated or not
  • CPU max wattage : not sucessful (stick to auto, leading to 100W)
  • No profile can be saved (only one at a time)
  • No RAM setup (at 1st boot, MB is very slow, testing RAM). It is activating by default RAM speed parameters
  • Boot selector
  • Temperature monitor & fan management : it is working pretty fine (I stick to CPU fan curve even after installing "fan control")
Overall Bios is simple, effective & functionnal. Let's see future updates, especially for CPU firmware update.

Time was to test inside a case...

BD790i meets Sliger S620
S620 is definitely a bit big for my testing, but it was a nice starting point to investigate potential Mini ITX.
Assembly inside S620 remains average, especially on PSU side.
I've chosen airlfow with bottom intake and side exhaust

I tried in horizontal orientation, but it was too bulky and it allows my to find a pretty nice spot where to put the case : back my Neo G9 Monitor..:)

And still cat compliant..:)

To be continued...

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
That was my exact starting point : no immediate need but I had to know what is under the hood..:D

I nearly went with the same minisforum board for an ITX server build in a Jonsbo N3, but their shipping time was nearly 3mo, so I went with a standard Gigabyte board and some fun adapters to maximize storage instead (PCIE 16x -> 8x + 2 m.2s and m.2 -> 6x Sata).

• Love
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I nearly went with the same minisforum board for an ITX server build in a Jonsbo N3, but their shipping time was nearly 3mo, so I went with a standard Gigabyte board and some fun adapters to maximize storage instead (PCIE 16x -> 8x + 2 m.2s and m.2 -> 6x Sata).
On NVME drive, AR900i is the king with 4 m.2 slots on a mini ITX MB..:)

I ordered my BD790i by Jan (pre-order) and shipment occured as planned by mid feb. Got it in overall in 1 month.

Overall it took me approx 2.5 Months (let's round it to 3 months) to collect the parts. My build is almost finished but already 100% functionnal (only missing some optional parts).

Lakimakromedia

Caliper Novice
Mar 21, 2019
Gold shovel for me :D :
Its pretty late for such thing, and pictures are not avalaible anymore. But

First let's compare size versus Node 202, mini ITX case from Fractal Design. This case is pretty small while in horizontal stand (10.2l), however in vertical stand (due to large base), its dimensions become 125 x 385 x 332mm (15.9l)

The volume of case its not changing... There is a base, but base its creating [if You wrote about this] space around case to breathe. If in horizontal postion, u need also keep some space above N202, because u will boil internals. Same with Cerberus, u cannot put boxex around and expect good cooling. Yes, Cerberus has some front "intake", and back "exhaust", but same story. If those speces would be covered - temps go high. So volume of Cerb should be increase also :).
Just saying.

This AR900 its aTHING, and those 4nvme, damm and just yasterday bought some stuff for new project.....

BTW since You have this board, does it support bifurcation on pcie x16???

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Gold shovel for me :D :
Its pretty late for such thing, and pictures are not avalaible anymore. But

First let's compare size versus Node 202, mini ITX case from Fractal Design. This case is pretty small while in horizontal stand (10.2l), however in vertical stand (due to large base), its dimensions become 125 x 385 x 332mm (15.9l)

The volume of case its not changing... There is a base, but base its creating [if You wrote about this] space around case to breathe. If in horizontal postion, u need also keep some space above N202, because u will boil internals. Same with Cerberus, u cannot put boxex around and expect good cooling. Yes, Cerberus has some front "intake", and back "exhaust", but same story. If those speces would be covered - temps go high. So volume of Cerb should be increase also :).
Just saying.

This AR900 its aTHING, and those 4nvme, damm and just yasterday bought some stuff for new project.....

BTW since You have this board, does it support bifurcation on pcie x16???
Regarding Cerberus-X, best volume usage is when it is in horizontal stand. Intake from left (bottom in vertical stand), main exhaust towards the top (side in vertical stand). By far I prefered horizontal stand for the cerberus-X (really good cooling, low dust, no GPU sag, no tension on CPU cooler). As you mentionned, while in vertical stand, you need to keep some place around for intake/exhaust.

Regarding Minisforum Mini ITX boards, no PCIe bifurcation as far as I've read (either BD770i/BD790i/AR900i).

ps : you are correct about my first pictures. I need to check them.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Let's continue my journey back to Mini ITX Motherboard world!

After testing Minisforum BD790i inside Sliger S620, I decided to test inside of my beloved Sliger SM550!
Please note you will need shorter CPU cooler screws (M2.5x14mm), as only M2.5x25mm screws are included with the motherboard.

Without M2.5x14mm screws, it is also working fine...as long as you are not moving too much the case.

Unfortunately BD790i is not fully compatible with SM550, due to its side panel pin location. You can remove one the pin, but it is leading to some vibration.
For my trial, I simply removed side panels.

I put also my sweet MSI GTX 1080Ti.

Best point of the SM550 is its size, just below 10l.

It fits so well behind my Samsung G9 Neo, and, and, and, thermals & noise were great also!

It reminds me immediatly my plan to switch my main setup to Mini-ITX inside a SM550...however it was completely cancelled with RTX 3000 FE GPU with 3 slots & passthrough fan design (and complete lack of GPU at all...2020....)

For several weeks, I kept using & testing this SM550+BD790i+GTX1080ti, and I clearly enjoyed it and I was not alone :

And I decided to push my experiment further...

I moved my core i5 12600K setup to my N-ATX v2 paired with my RTX 3090 FE.

and retired my R7 5800X+Asus Crosshair VI....and my Cerberus-X...after 7 years of duty!

One question remains...what will happen to my RTX4080 FE, left alone?

To be continued...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I had a white SM550 for a while and really liked the case. Later on I wished I had gone ahead and gotten the 560 instead. Sad to see the Cerberus go into retirement after all this time and I am just about positive you will find a use to the 4080 FE.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I had a white SM550 for a while and really liked the case. Later on I wished I had gone ahead and gotten the 560 instead. Sad to see the Cerberus go into retirement after all this time and I am just about positive you will find a use to the 4080 FE.
I'm not worried to find another utility for my Cerberus-X. It is the first time ever in my life that a computer case stayed so long in active service. I truly love my Cerberus-X...:D

Regarding SM550, well I've no regrets about SM560 as it was too large for my use and better cases (let's say upgrades) were released since, as your Fractal Terra.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I'm not worried to find another utility for my Cerberus-X. It is the first time ever in my life that a computer case stayed so long in active service. I truly love my Cerberus-X...:D

Regarding SM550, well I've no regrets about SM560 as it was too large for my use and better cases (let's say upgrades) were released since, as your Fractal Terra.

I feel the same way about my SM580's (I got a 2nd one after my wife was jelly at how much power I could cram into the first one, and we retired a Fractal R5), I'll probably keep them as my main chassis until reasonable GPUs can no longer fit.

The SM550 is a great size though, I was tempted but I already had a Steck and 2x Node 202's and couldn't justify another rig before they were discontinued.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I feel the same way about my SM580's (I got a 2nd one after my wife was jelly at how much power I could cram into the first one, and we retired a Fractal R5), I'll probably keep them as my main chassis until reasonable GPUs can no longer fit.

The SM550 is a great size though, I was tempted but I already had a Steck and 2x Node 202's and couldn't justify another rig before they were discontinued.
I'll finish my build log by next week I suppose. Minisforum BD790i & SM550 just opened some new options.