anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Jun 23, 2018
Cerberus Build

z370-i 8700k
2080 ftw3
nh c14s
sx800-lti

I am able to achieve very good temperatures with all fans on the case on a load scenario max 1000rpm.
Idle all fans drop to 400-500, gpu 0 rpm.
The nhc14s is a beast, the 8700k is not overclocked, and single fan setup on the cpu heatsink is more than enough for this build.
I might try to fit a 15mm fan on top (with handle kit) of the nhc14s, but i think it will conflict with the noctua metal fan clip. On a previous build i was able to fit a schythe slip 12mm thick fan, later a removed it because it was a 3pin fan and I like PWM control.
The psu is very nice indeed (thanks @MarcParis), on a previous build I was using a corsair sf600, but the fan on that unit was easily getting to much loud for my tastes once above a certain load threshold and took forever to spin down after the power load. I had to bend the cables alot on the connector part of the psu because there was 0 clearance between the psu and cables (with cables installed). Tough but doable. Ftw is rigid ^^
I think I`ll order some silverstone cable kits
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Pro...erStone-Custom-Sleeved-Modular-Cable-Kit.html
there is a premium silver single wired kit (very thin cables by the pictures).
Has anyone tried those cables?

Thanks all!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Cerberus Build

z370-i 8700k
2080 ftw3
nh c14s
sx800-lti

I am able to achieve very good temperatures with all fans on the case on a load scenario max 1000rpm.
The nhc14s is a beast, the 8700k is not overclocked, and single fan setup on the cpu heatsink is more than enough for this build.
I might try to fit a 15mm fan on top (with handle kit) of the nhc14s, but i think it will conflict with the noctua metal fan clip. On a previous build i was able to fit a schythe slip 12mm thick fan, later a removed it because it was a 3pin fan and I like PWM control.
The psu is very nice indeed (thanks @MarcParis), on a previous build I was using a corsair sf600, but the fan on that unit was easily getting to much loud for my tastes once above a certain load threshold and took forever to spin down after the power load. I had to bend the cables alot on the connector part of the psu because there was 0 clearance between the psu and cables (with cables installed). Tough but doable. Ftw is rigid ^^
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Professional-Tailor%2dMade-SilverStone-Custom-Sleeved-Modular-Cable-Kit.html

Thanks all!
Glad to see sx800 lti was a good advice..;)
Nice build by the way!

Reactions: anoldfriend

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
With the release of @hdplex 400W AC-DC and 800W DC-DC, i was wondering if Cerberus family could have any benefit in terms of cooling.

HDplex dc-dc 400w : 0.247200l
HDplex dc-dc 800w : 0.359370l
HDplex ac-dc 400w : 0.418528l
800w combo (800w dc-dc, 2x400w ac-dc) : 1,196426l
400w combo : 0,665728l

Sfx-l : 1.031875l
Sfx : 0.793750l

My main interest will be to have dual 120mm/140mm fans on front panel.

My initial thought was to use 400W combo but as my setup R7 1700X+GTX 1080ti overclocked can used 450W i prefer to aim for 800W setup, like my sx-800lti.

My second thought is to use back panel (below SFX front position) to install DC-DC 800W and use 2 passive 400W ac-dc bricks on top panel. But I guess 800W is too tall (need to check on my setup). It should be ok with width of 66mm, but need to check with front fan.

What do you think about this idea? For me there is potential vs ATX psu inside cerberus
Maybe we will need support of @Josh | NFC and @hdplex ..:) (great video from Josh on hdplex 400w ac-dc)

i would have some questions for them :
  • is it possible to use externally hdplex 400w ac-dc? If yes what will be recommended cable between them?
  • What will be maximum output of hdplex 800 dc-dc with 400w ac-dc, well vented? can it support 450w output?
Any support will be welcome..:)

Would really love to see someone pull out a mod incorporating this. I looked at a very similar concept back when I built my WC Cerb X. I originally wanted to put two hdplex ac-dc’s connected by a y inside the case on the top panel connected to two dc-atx’s (this was before the 800w released and I wanted two 400w) connected with the pairing cable. I even bought a hdplex 300w ac-dc to help figure out how to make my plan work with relation to tolerances and mounting.

The goal wasn’t to lower temps in my case, but rather free up the space at the mobo rear for me to mount my hdd’s to the side bracket. Unfortunately I had clearance issues with the pump and rad at the top and abandoned it.

Really wished hdplex would (or could,I know nothing of psu engineering) make a 800 ac-dc to go along with the 800 dc-atx. But really, by the time you combine the two’s size I guess it’s about the same size combined as a flex psu.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Would really love to see someone pull out a mod incorporating this. I looked at a very similar concept back when I built my WC Cerb X. I originally wanted to put two hdplex ac-dc’s connected by a y inside the case on the top panel connected to two dc-atx’s (this was before the 800w released and I wanted two 400w) connected with the pairing cable. I even bought a hdplex 300w ac-dc to help figure out how to make my plan work with relation to tolerances and mounting.

The goal wasn’t to lower temps in my case, but rather free up the space at the mobo rear for me to mount my hdd’s to the side bracket. Unfortunately I had clearance issues with the pump and rad at the top and abandoned it.

Really wished hdplex would (or could,I know nothing of psu engineering) make a 800 ac-dc to go along with the 800 dc-atx. But really, by the time you combine the two’s size I guess it’s about the same size combined as a flex psu.
Well I'm also looking at G-unique big power brick.:)

TouchMyPogo

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2018
Cerberus Build

z370-i 8700k
2080 ftw3
nh c14s
sx800-lti

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Professional-Tailor%2dMade-SilverStone-Custom-Sleeved-Modular-Cable-Kit.html

Thanks all!
What are your temps? I've got a similar setup to yours.

Last edited:

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Jun 23, 2018
What are your temps? I've got a similar setup to yours.
I Will perform some tests soon and post the results!

A good tip is to add a top exhaust fan.
Current setup
2 nfa14 at the bottom as intakes
1 nfa14 on the cpu heatsink as intake
1 90mm noctua redux fan as rear exhaust
1 noctua slim top fan exhaust

With this setup I was achieving excellent gpu temperatures!

Without the top fan I was trapping hot air in the top area, then I installed a noctua 15mm slim fan on top as exhaust and it worked like a charm (eliminated all that hot pocket that was on the top area).

Bottom fans do not need too much rpm (small distance, avoid turbulence).

The reason I`m using only 1 fan on the nhc14s is that I can use higher rpm on the fan and get a lower db and a better sound profile (i might be wrong about this one, going to test with dual intakes on the cpu heatsink later).

I`m gonna stress this setup all night and post the results tomorrow (the idea is to balance low db sound and maintain performance).

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

Possums

Case Bender
New User
Feb 21, 2019
Hello all!

I recently purchased a Supermicro H11DSi, a SSI-EEB motherboard that measures 12"/13".
It technically falls within the 305mm × 335mm max specified on the Sliger website for the Cerberus X.

Searching this thread, I have seen mentions of SSI-EEB compatibility but nothing really definitive.
One person claimed it doesn't fit, but their picture links are broken.

Does anyone know if such a board is compatible with the Cerberus X?
I am willing to mod the case with adhesive stand-offs or drilling as I know the mounting holes will not align.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh that might be me ._. numbers seem to check out, but until I figure out a way to be 99.9% sure of the width... (my longest ruler only goes to 300mm ,_,)

I mean Sliger makes the cases (unless they've made a typo, which is unlikely). if it's well under 335mm you should do fine (unless the motherboard is about 334mm and some fraction long, in which case I'd recommend sending a PM to sliger to seek confirmation)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Current setup

Without the top fan I was trapping hot air in the top area, then I installed a noctua 15mm slim fan on top as exhaust and it worked like a charm (eliminated all that hot pocket that was on the top area).

The reason I`m using only 1 fan on the nhc14s is that I can use higher rpm on the fan and get a lower db and a better sound profile (i might be wrong about this one, going to test with dual intakes on the cpu heatsink later).

I`m gonna stress this setup all night and post the results tomorrow (the idea is to balance low db sound and maintain performance).
Based on my C14s experience, I got similar issues that gpu hot air was trapped in higher part (CPU, PSU) area.

Best resullts (especially on gpu temperature) was to placed CPU cooler fan(s) in exhaust mode...that exhaust gpu hot air in a very efficient way.
With this side exhaust, top fan has never been very useful on my setup...I keep it as it's there (good looking)..:):)
I could say the same for rear intake 92mm...pretty useless..;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
With the release of @hdplex 400W AC-DC and 800W DC-DC, i was wondering if Cerberus family could have any benefit in terms of cooling.

HDplex dc-dc 400w : 0.247200l
HDplex dc-dc 800w : 0.359370l
HDplex ac-dc 400w : 0.418528l
800w combo (800w dc-dc, 2x400w ac-dc) : 1,196426l
400w combo : 0,665728l

Sfx-l : 1.031875l
Sfx : 0.793750l

My main interest will be to have dual 120mm/140mm fans on front panel.

My initial thought was to use 400W combo but as my setup R7 1700X+GTX 1080ti overclocked can used 450W i prefer to aim for 800W setup, like my sx-800lti.

My second thought is to use back panel (below SFX front position) to install DC-DC 800W and use 2 passive 400W ac-dc bricks on top panel. But I guess 800W is too tall (need to check on my setup). It should be ok with width of 66mm, but need to check with front fan.

What do you think about this idea? For me there is potential vs ATX psu inside cerberus
Maybe we will need support of @Josh | NFC and @hdplex ..:) (great video from Josh on hdplex 400w ac-dc)

i would have some questions for them :
  • is it possible to use externally hdplex 400w ac-dc? If yes what will be recommended cable between them?
  • What will be maximum output of hdplex 800 dc-dc with 400w ac-dc, well vented? can it support 450w output?
Any support will be welcome..:)
i just discovered ATX plate from HDplex...that is able to hold a 400wac-dc and a C14 bracket/extension.

I wonder if hdplex 400w ac-dc will touch or not gpu...but that's a good position inside cerberus-x..;)

MarceloSiciliano

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Based on my C14s experience, I got similar issues that gpu hot air was trapped in higher part (CPU, PSU) area.

Best resullts (especially on gpu temperature) was to placed CPU cooler fan(s) in exhaust mode...that exhaust gpu hot air in a very efficient way.
With this side exhaust, top fan has never been very useful on my setup...I keep it as it's there (good looking)..:):)
I could say the same for rear intake 92mm...pretty useless..;)
Im using 2 NF-A14 3000RPM and a NF-A12 as intake, 2 NF-A12 and 2 NF-A8 as exhaust. My overclocked 2080TI reaches 80C with this setup

TouchMyPogo

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2018

Current setup

Definitely going to try out the slim fan. I have an ITX Asus Z370-i and the noctua slim fan was interfering with the C14s. Gonna try again I guess!

MarceloSiciliano

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Please could you share more details? cpu cooler? gpu ? fan locations?
i always like to share cooling solutions..;)
Sure! Im using an H115 pro (280mm) to cool my 9700k OC'ed to 5Ghz, the rad is on the bottom of the case using the A14 as intake, the intake A12 is mounted on the front of the case, at GPU level to trown some cold air at the front of the GPU. The two A8 are mounted at the side of the GPU pulling the hot air exhausted by it out of the case. And the other two A12 are mounted at the top of the case exhausting hot air.

Later i will share some pics!
[/IMG]

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sure! Im using an H115 pro (280mm) to cool my 9700k OC'ed to 5Ghz, the rad is on the bottom of the case using the A14 as intake, the intake A12 is mounted on the front of the case, at GPU level to trown some cold air at the front of the GPU. The two A8 are mounted at the side of the GPU pulling the hot air exhausted by it out of the case. And the other two A12 are mounted at the top of the case exhausting hot air.

Later i will share some pics!
[/IMG]
Thanks!
Nice setup. I tried bottom vents, but without 80mm fans, and results were not great.
Your setup is definitely nice suited, thanks for sharing!

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Hello all!

I recently purchased a Supermicro H11DSi, a SSI-EEB motherboard that measures 12"/13".
It technically falls within the 305mm × 335mm max specified on the Sliger website for the Cerberus X.

Searching this thread, I have seen mentions of SSI-EEB compatibility but nothing really definitive.
One person claimed it doesn't fit, but their picture links are broken.

Does anyone know if such a board is compatible with the Cerberus X?
I am willing to mod the case with adhesive stand-offs or drilling as I know the mounting holes will not align.

That'd be me. I wasn't able to get the Z9PE-D16 to fit, despite it being within the stated limits.
It "nearly" fit, but was physically unable to line up with the standoffs and I literally had to wedge it into the case to get it to fit flush at all. various internal I/O and the RAM clips were completely blocked though.
I would bring your attention to a potentially more problematic issue though; the standoffs are part of the case and only the left-most standoffs line up with SSI-EEB, meaning that you would have to sheer off the rest of the standoffs with a grinder and sink your own replacement standoffs into your brand new, very expensive case.
My alt route was to go with an SSI-CEB board that has plenty of room, is still dual socket, and uses the standard ATX standoffs.
The one I'm using is the Z9PA-D8, but there are a couple others. Newer models would be the Z10PA-D8 and Z11PA-D8. Not sure if any other motherboard makers put out dual socket SSI-CEB boards, but you could look around.

MarceloSiciliano

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks!
Nice setup. I tried bottom vents, but without 80mm fans, and results were not great.
Your setup is definitely nice suited, thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Specs
Motherboard: Strix Z390-I
Ram: 32Gb Dominator Platinum 3000mhz oc'd to 3200mhz
CPU: 9700K oc'd to 5Ghz
PSU: Silverstone SX800-LTI
GPU: EVGA 2080TI oc'd to 2000mhz on the core
Storage: 512Gb 970 pro and 1Tb 970 Evo using the back panel as heatsink with termalt pads lol
Cerberus build

Possums

Case Bender
New User
Feb 21, 2019
That'd be me. I wasn't able to get the Z9PE-D16 to fit, despite it being within the stated limits.
It "nearly" fit, but was physically unable to line up with the standoffs and I literally had to wedge it into the case to get it to fit flush at all. various internal I/O and the RAM clips were completely blocked though.
I would bring your attention to a potentially more problematic issue though; the standoffs are part of the case and only the left-most standoffs line up with SSI-EEB, meaning that you would have to sheer off the rest of the standoffs with a grinder and sink your own replacement standoffs into your brand new, very expensive case.
My alt route was to go with an SSI-CEB board that has plenty of room, is still dual socket, and uses the standard ATX standoffs.
The one I'm using is the Z9PA-D8, but there are a couple others. Newer models would be the Z10PA-D8 and Z11PA-D8. Not sure if any other motherboard makers put out dual socket SSI-CEB boards, but you could look around.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any dual Epyc motherboards in the SSI-CEB form factor.
Could you specify what part of the case was blocking the internal I/O and RAM clips?
Would preinstalling the ram before installing the motherboard make things work?

I would definitely prefer to not sheer off the standoffs if at all possible.
Do they have to be removed, or can I simply add the correct standoffs while leaving the rest in place?

Thanks again for your time.