Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Does anyone know if the NZXT G12 with a 140mm AIO would fit in the case? My Evga RTX 2080 XC is running kinda hot.
In the meantime, you can undervolt the card. I have the same card running at 875mV/1815Mhz with a max of 68C in the Cerberus X on an aggressive fan curve.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any dual Epyc motherboards in the SSI-CEB form factor.
Could you specify what part of the case was blocking the internal I/O and RAM clips?
Would preinstalling the ram before installing the motherboard make things work?

I would definitely prefer to not sheer off the standoffs if at all possible.
Do they have to be removed, or can I simply add the correct standoffs while leaving the rest in place?

Thanks again for your time.

Sure! The entire front of the case. my motherboard was hard flush with both the front and back of the case, meaning the DIMM clips that lock the RAM in place could not properly open, making it impossible to install the RAM without pulling the motherboard out of the case. Same with the PCIe slots. The back (left) side of the MB was so flush with the rear of the case that you physically couldn't fit the PCIe bracket. Meaning the only way I could get any cards in would be removing the bracket or cutting it at the motherboard.

Regarding the standoffs, I thought I might be able to make it work myself with just adding standoffs, but 1) the entire left column of standoffs still conform to ATX and due to the bad case fitment, cannot be aligned. The case simply isn't wide/deep enough.
2) You do not want to risk shorting the board with unused standoffs making contact with random parts of the board. All of the unused standoffs would be contacting random traces.

As much as I love and support the idea of an Epyc powered Cerberus, do you have a need for that many cores? Does a 2990WX not do the job for you?
FYI, after not being able to make Cerberus X work with my Z9PE-D16, I picked up an NZXT H500 at Microcenter and although it's nowhere near as compact as the Cerberus X, at around 40L~ it is definitely one of the smallest EATX/SSI-EEB capable cases I was able to find. Plus $70 is WAAAAY cheaper than the $300ish I paid for my Cerberus X + accessories.

Reactions: Possums

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I would like to mention several air cpu cooler from Thermalright that should be compatible with Cerberus family :
  • Silver Arrow 130 : dual tower, 120mm fan, however difficult or not yet available on market

• Silver Arrow ITX-R : 147mm tall dual tower, black nickel (i must admit, it's beautiful..;))

Silver arrow ITX-R should be similar to Syche Fuma rev B : you could mount inside Cerberus, but without side bracket.
Best orientation should be towards top of the case to exhaust hot air from gpu and cpu.

i still wonder how such 120mm dual towers cpu cooler perform vs noctua c14s, either a cpu cooler or gpu hot air exhaust..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I would like to mention several air cpu cooler from Thermalright that should be compatible with Cerberus family :
  • Silver Arrow 130 : dual tower, 120mm fan, however difficult or not yet available on market

• Silver Arrow ITX-R : 147mm tall dual tower, black nickel (i must admit, it's beautiful..;))

Silver arrow ITX-R should be similar to Syche Fuma rev B : you could mount inside Cerberus, but without side bracket.
Best orientation should be towards top of the case to exhaust hot air from gpu and cpu.

i still wonder how such 120mm dual towers cpu cooler perform vs noctua c14s, either a cpu cooler or gpu hot air exhaust..:D
I've just found interesting review on Silver Arrow ITX-R :

https://www.cowcotland.com/articles/2655-4/test-ventirad-cpu-scythe-choten-tuf.html

Basically Silver Arrow ITX-r is performing similarly as H7 Quad Lumi, a bit disappointing..:(

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Basically Silver Arrow ITX-r is performing similarly as H7 Quad Lumi, a bit disappointing..:(

I wonder how much of that comes down to the fan. After reading the long rant on Reddit yesterday about Thermalright's weird marketing name for sleeve bearing, I'd be tempted to throw an NF-A12x25 in there and see how it improves.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I wonder how much of that comes down to the fan. After reading the long rant on Reddit yesterday about Thermalright's weird marketing name for sleeve bearing, I'd be tempted to throw an NF-A12x25 in there and see how it improves.
That should help, however, as far as I've read you need to be ready to use some cable tie as stock fan is not standard (130x120).

But in that case, I prefer either triple U9L, dual U9S, dual/triple Fuma or dual C14S..:D

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
But in that case, I prefer either triple U9L, dual U9S, dual/triple Fuma or dual C14S..:D

Unless you're going for noise normalized results, in which case dropping 2 or 3 fans in there are going to hurt you in the dB's. That said though, the 120mm Kaze fans on the Fuma are pretty dang quiet and the FPI isn't so high that I was seeing much benefit from swapping to more pressure optimized fans.

Reactions: MarcParis

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
That should help, however, as far as I've read you need to be ready to use some cable tie as stock fan is not standard (130x120).

I've directly compared the Silver Arrow 130 with the Noctua U9s.

Basically, the SA 130 with one Gentle Typhoon 1850PMW perform equal to the U9s with 2x A9 PMW fans.

The noise' sound under stress is better in favor of the SA130, thanks to the 120mm fan.

BUT, I'll choose the U9s for the easier mounting system!

And actually, the U9s perform only a few degrees worse than the C14s, at least in the DA2.

FYI, the L12s with the A12x25 on top, perform 4/5 degrees worse than the U9 double fan.

Tested with a 9900K, no power limit and an ASRock Z390 ITX

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've directly compared the Silver Arrow 130 with the Noctua U9s.

Basically, the SA 130 with one Gentle Typhoon 1850PMW perform equal to the U9s with 2x A9 PMW fans.

The noise' sound under stress is better in favor of the SA130, thanks to the 120mm fan.

BUT, I'll choose the U9s for the easier mounting system!

And actually, the U9s perform only a few degrees worse than the C14s, at least in the DA2.

FYI, the L12s with the A12x25 on top, perform 4/5 degrees worse than the U9 double fan.

Tested with a 9900K, no power limit and an ASRock Z390 ITX
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Where did you manage to get the thermalright 130 please?

vpri

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2018
Question around compatibility, this is the build I have in mind for now, not finalized yet:
  • i9-9900X
  • Rampage VI Extreme Omega (E-ATX)
  • 240mm AIO front (with 25mm Noctua)
  • EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC (1st PCI-E)
  • Radeon VII (2nd PCI-E)
  • Extra card (3rd PCI-E)
  • Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU

Do you think these components will be compatible in a Cerberus X?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Question around compatibility, this is the build I have in mind for now, not finalized yet:
  • i9-9900X
  • Rampage VI Extreme Omega (E-ATX)
  • 240mm AIO front (with 25mm Noctua)
  • EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC (1st PCI-E)
  • Radeon VII (2nd PCI-E)
  • Extra card (3rd PCI-E)
  • Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU

Do you think these components will be compatible in a Cerberus X?
Sure this setup should be compatible with Cerberus-x except front 240aio with 25mm noctua fans as radeon vii, at least is measuring 305mm in length..:) as far as I remembered you have 329mm depth inside cerberus case.

Front radiator setup is only viable while using standard 10.5" / 26.67cm graphic cards.

Alternatives are simple :
  • Get a 120/140mm aio and keep same gpu
  • Use standard GPU length and keep 240mm front radiator