Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Jul 3, 2018
Quick question as a new Cerberus owner (will have hands on it this weekend). How are the feet (chromed) attached to the case?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Confirmed even with a second PSU the error happens. So it is definitely the motherboard! I was sweeping up the room and I think I found a broken chip off the chipset. I threw it tho. Time to get through asrock RMA
With your tupe of errors, that was 80% sure it was related to mb.
Keep us informed.

Quick question as a new Cerberus owner (will have hands on it this weekend). How are the feet (chromed) attached to the case?
Well i never look at them in details...shame on me..:)

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Jul 3, 2018
Well I'm thinking I might be able to rotate the case 90 degrees so the cables come out the bottom with a few right angle adapters and spot weld mounts to the case. Think it might work better for open air gpu.

Top to Front - buttons on front with USB Ports
Front to top - Probably the piece that looks the most odd out, slight curve but still looks nice.
Bottom to Rear - 2x 140mm fans blowing out the back.
Rear to Bottom - need right angle connectors to come out the back (right angle down orientation)

If the chromed feet are threaded then I can try to find decent standoffs to spot weld or even tap. Cool air in the front, hot air out the back and top. It would be triangle feet placement on the back of the case.

I'm going to build it out first and then take a look at how it can look or work either way (maybe with some books).

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Hey Helaton

The feet are basically nuts with a one of those locking washers. The bottom of the chassis has screws connected to it. I have taken them off to install 2 of my 140mm fans with the default screws that come with 140mms (not the ones provided by Sliger). Hope that helps.

Spartoi

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
Amazing!! How was fitting that pump and reservoir? The fan so close! Any performances or temperature issues in general? Thanks man!

Sorry for the late reply.

The pump/res combo initially required placing the parts in a certain order, but now I'm familiar with it and have learned that I can just put the pump in first and let it rest/stand on top of the GPU. Then, I simply close the side-bracket and attach the pump to it using the screws/washers. I haven't encountered any performance or temperature issues. The GPU runs very cool and the CPU runs okay at stock. The CPU in general runs pretty hot though and that's why I decided to water cool in the first place. I ended up giving up on running all cores at 4.2GHz+ because of the voltage requirement and decided to leave it at stock.

Furaah

Efficiency Noob
Feb 4, 2017
Hello !

Just a question regarding the Cerberus (not the Cerberus-X), would it be possible to fit this AIO at the bottom : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-mlc-phoenix-280-radiator-core-module ?

I have searched but could no find the answer in the previous posts...
The specs on the site seem to indicate that it is possible to fit such radiator at the bottom, but on the other hand it looks quite huge, so I would like to confirm.
I assume as well that if it is in place, you can only fit one GPU ?

I'm open to other suggestions regarding the cooling solution (ASRock x399M Taichi + Threaripper 1950X). I was initially going for the "Enermax liqtech TR4", but I have seem some scary reports about the quality/corrosion etc...

MaskedNozza

Chassis Packer
May 4, 2017
Hey there! I've been using my Cerberus for a while now, and I do indeed love it!
I do have 3 issues, though. I am using the internal SFX PSU mount and I really would love to have 2 intake fans on the side bracket. However, 2 120mm fans overlap just a bit with the PSU, and the PSU is sitting just a bit too close to the side bracket. Is there a way to modify the PSU bracket to let the PSU fit much further into the back of the case, or does the bracket only mount one way?
Secondly, the side panel window that I have appears to be peeling off the side panel. I'm not sure if the adhesive is faulty or if some coating on the panel neutralises the adhesive's ability to hold it on, but is there any suggestion on how I might mitigate this? It's not a big problem when I have the panel on, but it does allow unfiltered air into the case.
Lastly, It was recommend to use DEMCIflex fan filters on the case, however I do not see how I might be able to use said filters on the case itself. Ideally I want to use the filters in the front of the case and on the side bracket, but the 240mm filters are too large to fit, as if the magnetic frame is too thick.
Any suggestions or potential solutions would be most appreciated ;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hello !

Just a question regarding the Cerberus (not the Cerberus-X), would it be possible to fit this AIO at the bottom : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-mlc-phoenix-280-radiator-core-module ?

The specs on the site seem to indicate that it is possible to fit such radiator at the bottom, but on the other hand it looks quite huge, so I would like to confirm.

I'm open to other suggestions regarding the cooling solution (ASRock x399M Taichi + Threaripper 1950X). I was initially going for the "Enermax liqtech TR4", but I have seem some scary reports about the quality/corrosion etc...
I strongly recommend you to stick on 240mm radiator inside cerberus (located at bottom). Even if it’s feasible to fit some compact 280mm radiator (for me, ek phoenix 280 is too long...and beware of pump orientation...as far as i remember ek predator 240 was fitting physically but orientation was the issue), you will lose all access to i/o that is generally located at bottom on mb.

Hey there! I've been using my Cerberus for a while now, and I do indeed love it!
I do have 3 issues, though. I am using the internal SFX PSU mount and I really would love to have 2 intake fans on the side bracket. However, 2 120mm fans overlap just a bit with the PSU, and the PSU is sitting just a bit too close to the side bracket. Is there a way to modify the PSU bracket to let the PSU fit much further into the back of the case, or does the bracket only mount one way?
Secondly, the side panel window that I have appears to be peeling off the side panel. I'm not sure if the adhesive is faulty or if some coating on the panel neutralises the adhesive's ability to hold it on, but is there any suggestion on how I might mitigate this? It's not a big problem when I have the panel on, but it does allow unfiltered air into the case.
Lastly, It was recommend to use DEMCIflex fan filters on the case, however I do not see how I might be able to use said filters on the case itself. Ideally I want to use the filters in the front of the case and on the side bracket, but the 240mm filters are too large to fit, as if the magnetic frame is too thick.
Any suggestions or potential solutions would be most appreciated ;)
Front sfx psu bracket can be mounted one way. However it could be a good option to be able to offset it to allow to put dual 120x15mm on side bracket..:)
On side window panel, i experienced same issue. I was able to mitigate almost the peeling by bending (by hand) the panel to better match window bend. Issue i had was my aluminium panel was a little concav while my acrylic window a little convex...gently i managed to adjust both window and aluminium panels.

I’m using demciflex filters only on front, as there is enough space for magnetic border. For all others panels i’m using different dust filter bought on ebay. Check my build for details.

Last edited:

Furaah

Efficiency Noob
Feb 4, 2017
Thanks for the helpful answer MarcParis !

Yes I figured that the EK Phoenix 280 is too big as you said, unfortunately (it is longer than other radiators/AIOs that are already barely fitting), and in the end I won't go for the 240 either, due to the orientation issue (can't be placed with the tubing facing up, according to the manual), I did overlook this initially : / (Also, impossible to fit in the front due to the GPU length - 280mm).

I'm not sure what to do at this point, either go for aircooling with the small noctua (NH U9 TR4-SP3), but I'm a bit afraid of the temperature/noise (+ annoying for the DIMMs height), or go for a cooling solution less optimized for TR (Corsair H100i v2, etc ...), I can probably fit it both at the bottom or at the front (removing the bottom fan or doing push-pull using 15mm fans).

Not yet decided, I guess I need a bit more time :D

MaskedNozza

Chassis Packer
May 4, 2017
Thanks for your advice. I've tried to match the window to the panel but it's still not sticking particularly well. I will try some M3 adhesive perhaps.
I have not been able to fit the DEMCIflex 240x120mm dust filter in the front of the case. The clips to hold the cover on seem to be a little too close together to fit the filters, or perhaps the filter frames are just far too wide? I can't see how it might fit as is, but I suppose I could trim the frames to better fit both on the front and the side panel.
I'm also not sure if I'm looking at the wrong page, but I don't see what other fan filters you used.

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Jul 3, 2018
Hello !

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/91goc3/cerberus_build_almost_complete/

This modder shifted his mini itx stand offs to fit 2 radiators. ImI waiting for pictures of the complete build.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for the helpful answer MarcParis !

Yes I figured that the EK Phoenix 280 is too big as you said, unfortunately (it is longer than other radiators/AIOs that are already barely fitting), and in the end I won't go for the 240 either, due to the orientation issue (can't be placed with the tubing facing up, according to the manual), I did overlook this initially : / (Also, impossible to fit in the front due to the GPU length - 280mm).

I'm not sure what to do at this point, either go for aircooling with the small noctua (NH U9 TR4-SP3), but I'm a bit afraid of the temperature/noise (+ annoying for the DIMMs height), or go for a cooling solution less optimized for TR (Corsair H100i v2, etc ...), I can probably fit it both at the bottom or at the front (removing the bottom fan or doing push-pull using 15mm fans).

Not yet decided, I guess I need a bit more time :D
Why not going on enermax tr4 version?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/91goc3/cerberus_build_almost_complete/

This modder shifted his mini itx stand offs to fit 2 radiators. ImI waiting for pictures of the complete build.
Nice setup...overkill cooling..but impressive build

Furaah

Efficiency Noob
Feb 4, 2017
Why not going on enermax tr4 version?

Nice setup...overkill cooling..but impressive build

That was my initial plan, but I'm afraid of the quality issues with the Enermax.
I see negative reviews, reports of corrosion, leaks, etc... It seems to be a bit too many of those for a simple coincidence.

That doesn't really give me much trust into that product.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
probably wait it out after August? hopefully their second gen Enermax TR4 AIOs aren't this crappy out of the factory (the first half of the gen 1 lifecycle was pretty okay actually. It's just gone downhill for the recent batches for some reason)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
That was my initial plan, but I'm afraid of the quality issues with the Enermax.
I see negative reviews, reports of corrosion, leaks, etc... It seems to be a bit too many of those for a simple coincidence.

That doesn't really give me much trust into that product.
I guess if you are aiming new theadripper 2 with 250w tdp, you should go to customed watercooling...even aio won’t be able to handle those beast efficiently.

You should save maximum space by staying on sfx or even hdplex psu, depending on your gpu.
Sorry to ask again : are you going to cerberus or cerberus-x?

Furaah

Efficiency Noob
Feb 4, 2017
I'm going for the Cerberus (non-X), I want to minimize the size for the platform/socket I have.
I did consider going ITX with Intel (LGA2066) but I find TR to be a way better value in HEDT (also it's nice to go AMD for a change :p), as there is no ITX available, I went for micro ATX.

I have a 1950X. I did not want to go for TR2 for a few reasons : Full price at release, not sure if the mobo/VRMs will be compatible/handle the 250w load (X399M Taichi), and yes, cooling... worst case, if compatible, I can upgrade later (and if not it will take a while to have a compatible microATX board, if it ever happens).

My PSU is SFX-L (SX800-LTI).

---

Regarding the cooling I'm considering a custom loop potentially, there are some thinner radiators that could do the trick, I'm not sure where I'd mount the pump/tank yet.

As of now I think I will go for the small Noctua CPU cooler (NH-U9 TR4-SP3) as a temporary solution,
then either go for AIO (Maybe new ones coming with TR2 ? Or a non-optimal baseplate one...) or a custom loop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak