Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Thanks for sharing.
My advice on c14s will be double :
  • Use only nf a12x25. Nf a14 3000 is only average performer...and very, very noisy
  • Put these fans in full exhaust mode : it will better cool all other components (especially gpu and internals) than cpu. Based on my personal experience with my msi gtx 1080ti, it reduces gpu temperature and noise noticeably check my build by late august 2017)

I am in agreement with Marc on both of these points. I've stuck a couple of 140mm IPPC-3000's on a corsair rad before at full blast just to see how cool i could get a 5930k and it sounded like I was flying a quad-copter at my desk. I picked up a couple of e-loop noiseblocker 140mm to replace them with and the sound profile improvements have been night and day in the 1200-1500rpm range.

My MSI 980ti gaming-x is definitely my loudest component too. Anything that reduces the GPU temps so that you can keep their fans at 60% or lower has been my aim lately. It's been the one downside of the Meshify-C over the Define R5 I had this system in previously; having no fan directly on the GPU has caused it to increase temps by about 5C.

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
After multiple rotations of my PSU rotation I still hit the issue. So what I think the issue is that my PSU sits ontop of the motherboard ever so slightly. It touches some of the memory dimm electrical components. Is there a possible method for me to basically prevent those components from shorting? Could I use some antistatic plastic to prevent it and tape to the power supply ?

Update:

PSU outside of the case causes the kernel power and screaching issue in my headphones. I have gone full tilt and running my motherboard on the anti static bag that it came from to find any possible shorts.
All hard drives except the main OS boot drive is left. I have a higher reason to believe its the motherboard but honestly I am not really sure anymore.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
It seems the window panel does lay flat as there aren't any clips for the middle section. So while the top and bottom clip in fine, the middle bulges out as there is nothing to hold it down.

Finally got my beige Cerberus X. The beige looks mostly (soft) white to me so I'm not sure if there's any point in having a beige and white option. Anyways, as I haven't been able to find a build with full custom loop in the Cerberus X, I thought I should share mine.

The pump/res is mounted using the included mounting kit + some screws and washers for anyone interested. I thought I might have to change my PSU has it's kinda long (170mm) but managed to make it fit. If I were building from scratch and not re-using parts from a previous build I would probably have went with a shorter PSU like the Seasonic Focus Gold series (140mm) as fitting the pump on the bracket next to the PSU required some specific order of operations + stress.

PC Parts:
  • Ryzen 2700x
  • Titan X (Pascal)
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ CL14
  • 2x 1TB M.2 SSDs
  • Seasonic PRIME ULTRA 1000 Titanium PSU
Watercooling Parts:
  • Hardware Labs GTS 280 (Front) w/ Be Quiet! SilentWings 3
  • Hardware Labs GTS 240 (Bottom) w/ Phanteks PH-F120MP
  • Swiftech Maelstrom Reservoir with Integrated D5 Pump (50mm res)
  • XSPC Raystorm Neo CPU Block
  • EKWB Titan X Pascal Waterblock
  • XSPC Fittings (3/8" ID, 5/8" OD)
  • Mayhems Pastel White Coolant
Amazing!! How was fitting that pump and reservoir? The fan so close! Any performances or temperature issues in general? Thanks man!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
After multiple rotations of my PSU rotation I still hit the issue. So what I think the issue is that my PSU sits ontop of the motherboard ever so slightly. It touches some of the memory dimm electrical components. Is there a possible method for me to basically prevent those components from shorting? Could I use some antistatic plastic to prevent it and tape to the power supply ?

Update:

PSU outside of the case causes the kernel power and screaching issue in my headphones. I have gone full tilt and running my motherboard on the anti static bag that it came from to find any possible shorts.
All hard drives except the main OS boot drive is left. I have a higher reason to believe its the motherboard but honestly I am not really sure anymore.
don't you have any spare psu?

A.wypt

Chassis Packer
Jan 17, 2018
Cables from CableMod arrived, finally got to make some time off to clear the PSU cable clutter... And to settle the PSU
Gotten orange to match the BeQuiet color, I guess

Before;

After;

Am currently using some L bracket with M3 bolt & nut to hold the PSU in place. Shaved the extension power cord further to push it to the vertical limit as much as possible. Right now the PSU is hitting the steel pin holder;

Shaved too close to home though, I taped it with gaffer tape just in case.

There's this much clearance for the GPU now;

Reactions: Phuncz and KSliger

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Cables from CableMod arrived, finally got to make some time off to clear the PSU cable clutter... And to settle the PSU
Gotten orange to match the BeQuiet color, I guess

Before;

After;

Am currently using some L bracket with M3 bolt & nut to hold the PSU in place. Shaved the extension power cord further to push it to the vertical limit as much as possible. Right now the PSU is hitting the steel pin holder;

Shaved too close to home though, I taped it with gaffer tape just in case.

There's this much clearance for the GPU now;

The new cables looks nice!
The GPU/PSU clearance is a little too close for me. Can you put a sheet of acetate / vinyl on the surface of the PSU to ensure it never conducts?

A.wypt

Chassis Packer
Jan 17, 2018
The new cables looks nice!
The GPU/PSU clearance is a little too close for me. Can you put a sheet of acetate / vinyl on the surface of the PSU to ensure it never conducts?
Aye, was thinking of using gaffer tape on the PSU on those close contact area.

I just picked one up on amazon. Cheap evga one. Will do some testing with it
Sorry to hear about your rig, my guts tell me it's the mobo.

The USB3 on the Cerberus isn't connected actually. Fan on the Morpheus was blocking it... Thinking of trying out those Noctua slim fans

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Aye, was thinking of using gaffer tape on the PSU on those close contact area.

Sorry to hear about your rig, my guts tell me it's the mobo.

The USB3 on the Cerberus isn't connected actually. Fan on the Morpheus was blocking it... Thinking of trying out those Noctua slim fans
In fact, it's a pretty common issue.

Best solution is to get a slim usb3 extension.

You could find some there :
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Pre...-Male-to-Female-Internal-Extension-Cable.html

burromorado

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
Unfortunately, no. I just have the panel off for the time being while I weigh my options. I seem to own a lot of 25mm fans and not a single slim fan.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Unfortunately, no. I just have the panel off for the time being while I weigh my options. I seem to own a lot of 25mm fans and not a single slim fan.
Definetely Noctua nf a12x15 is compliant with front panel in terms of size...however brown color theme of noctua fan could be an issue lol

burromorado

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
Definetely Noctua nf a12x15 is compliant with front panel in terms of size...however brown color theme of noctua fan could be an issue lol
I don't mind the noctua colour too much, I've used some in the past. Has anyone tested how well they work with the panel on? I just don't want to risk not getting enough airflow through the radiator.

EDIT: this is fora. 280mm radiator, forgot to mention.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I don't mind the noctua colour too much, I've used some in the past. Has anyone tested how well they work with the panel on? I just don't want to risk not getting enough airflow through the radiator.

EDIT: this is fora. 280mm radiator, forgot to mention.
I own 2 of them..i’m using them in my cerberus-x.
I’ve tested them on front panel (external side), to see if it fits (test of fitting dual radiator)...and they are fine..:)

About airflow, they are completely fine on panel. I won’t recommend them for radiator.
In terms of noise, they are ok till 1200-1400. Above that, they tend to be noisy (100% subjective..:))

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Confirmed even with a second PSU the error happens. So it is definitely the motherboard! I was sweeping up the room and I think I found a broken chip off the chipset. I threw it tho. Time to get through asrock RMA