Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm going for the Cerberus (non-X), I want to minimize the size for the platform/socket I have.
I did consider going ITX with Intel (LGA2066) but I find TR to be a way better value in HEDT (also it's nice to go AMD for a change :p), as there is no ITX available, I went for micro ATX.

I have a 1950X. I did not want to go for TR2 for a few reasons : Full price at release, not sure if the mobo/VRMs will be compatible/handle the 250w load (X399M Taichi), and yes, cooling... worst case, if compatible, I can upgrade later (and if not it will take a while to have a compatible microATX board, if it ever happens).

My PSU is SFX-L (SX800-LTI).

---

Regarding the cooling I'm considering a custom loop potentially, there are some thinner radiators that could do the trick, I'm not sure where I'd mount the pump/tank yet.

As of now I think I will go for the small Noctua CPU cooler (NH-U9 TR4-SP3) as a temporary solution,
then either go for AIO (Maybe new ones coming with TR2 ? Or a non-optimal baseplate one...) or a custom loop.
Looking at your needs and current cpu cooler market, go for Noctua u9s tr4 as first solution (and future back up once you will have watercooling solution)..:)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Jul 3, 2018
Slowly building in my Cerberus case.

This is going to be a list of notes for people to reference. No particular order.

Demifilters ncase sizes. These are a struggle. They don't match the cerberus well. If you are going 140mm don't use the ncase ones. Build quality is exceptional though.

Dark Rock TF almost doesn't fit in a strix z370i. It touches horizontally the RAM and heatsink near the IO panel.

The IO shield is warped concave due to having to force it in the IO slot of Cerberus. It was very tight and needed to be forced in.

Noiseblocker 140mm fans work beautiful in the bottom of the case. The mounting system only interferes a little with the chrome feet. One long and one short cable end up uniform length together and then work in a pwm splitter on the chassis fan header. Highly recommend. I'm using them as chassis fans, not radiator.

My Cerberus came as the X version instead of the non x. Didn't notice until after fans were mounted. I fly out in 8 days so not sure if I want to try exchanging for the smaller version. Fits in my suitcase after testing. It's still very small though.

Cerberus is quality. I really mean it. Don't judge me when I say I spent 5 minutes rubbing the powder coat. Its uniform all over.

The chrome feet are solid. Not hollowed or coated. Solid, as in I could probably hurt someone throwing one at a target.

The standoffs are well done for motherboards and match the case.

The clipping panel system works extremely well. Wish the infinite vent in the bottom was also clipped. Would make installing fans even easier.

Everything is screwed. No cheap welds I could see. If something is in your way, unscrew it and put it back later.

Getting late. Will continue building tomorrow and take more notes and pictures.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
My PSU is SFX-L (SX800-LTI)

Hey! :) I appreciate that you’re going to build around the Asrock X399M and a mATX Threadripper setup. I was considering a similar setup but how do you solve the fact that the SX800-LTI does support easily a dual GPU Setup but just offers a single 8pin EPS connector? I mean all Threadripper boards have a minimum of 8pin + 4pin (like the X399M has) the bigger ATX boards have a 8 + 8pin configuration but the minimum is 8 + 4pin to power any Threadripper setup. So currently there is no SFX nor SFX-L PSU that offers this specification. Am I right that an ATX PSU would be needed?

Furaah

Efficiency Noob
Feb 4, 2017
Hey! :) I appreciate that you’re going to build around the Asrock X399M and a mATX Threadripper setup. I was considering a similar setup but how do you solve the fact that the SX800-LTI does support easily a dual GPU Setup but just offers a single 8pin EPS connector? I mean all Threadripper boards have a minimum of 8pin + 4pin (like the X399M has) the bigger ATX boards have a 8 + 8pin configuration but the minimum is 8 + 4pin to power any Threadripper setup. So currently there is no SFX nor SFX-L PSU that offers this specification. Am I right that an ATX PSU would be needed?

Indeed, you're right regarding the EPS connector, I have wondered this myself... It's really a shame that SS did not include an extra one on a 800w PSU...

I plan to use a splitter to have the extra connector, I've spent time searching online for something decent until... I realized that I already have one at home ! The perfect one, splits from 8 pins to 8 + 4 pins ... it's a splitter / extension cable that came with a Corsair 800D case (you can see how it looks here), as the case is super huge, they provide this to be able to reach the mobo in case your cable is too short.

Unfortunately I can't give you a reference/place to order this one :(

Last edited:
Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I plan to use a splitter

Okay, great to hear that you’ve found your solution. To be honest I went with both a used MSI X299M and an i7-7820X for an amazing price so the PSU is not longer my issue! I will compare the CPU performance with hopefully another MSI mATX board when Z390 launches and the i9-9900K. My PSU solution for this setup is going to be the new SF600 Platinum which is expected to be released in around a week! :)

@KSliger any updates for the new revision of the Cerberus? :)

Reactions: KSliger

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Indeed, you're right regarding the EPS connector, I have wondered this myself... It's really a shame that SS did not include an extra one on a 800w PSU...

I plan to use a splitter to have the extra connector, I've spent time searching online for something decent until... I realized that I already have one at home ! The perfect one, splits from 8 pins to 8 + 4 pins ... it's a splitter / extension cable that came with a Corsair 800D case (you can see how it looks here), as the case is super huge, they provide this to be able to reach the mobo in case your cable is too short.

Unfortunately I can't give you a reference/place to order this one :(
In fact, for dual eps connectors, you have at least 2 pretty solutions, especially with psu with one 12v rail (I keep repeating the same info...it would be great to put somewhere as lessons learned..:)) :
  • EPS splitter :
    • Very useful if you want to keep all your pci express connectors alive
    • example : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JC4D3NU/?tag=theminutiae-20
  • PCI express to EPS converter
Thus, there is absolutely NO reason not to use SFX/SFX-L psu to power dual EPS motherboard, like threadripper..:)

Reactions: fabio

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Check the site tonight, update going up.

Changed the top bracket; now you can mount radiators, fans, HDDs, SSDs, pumps, etc. on it.

Still working on that vertical GPU bracket. ;)
I see, you put additional infinite vents on top..:)
In terms of clearance, only slim fans are possible...however, i guess external radiator/fans should doable..:)

Vertical gpu stand?!! Will it be compatible with former version of cerberus?

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Site is updated, full window, window SSD mounts, and top brackets on there. Also added a few more customization-on-order options and changed some of the pricing.
Is the new top bracket backwards compatible with the older versions of the Cerberus/ Cerberus X? There isn't a link to buy for the top bracket in "Parts".

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Is the new top bracket backwards compatible with the older versions of the Cerberus/ Cerberus X? There isn't a link to buy for the top bracket in "Parts".

My FTP link dropped last night, will get the pictures fixed today and the stand alone top bracket added.

Kahlin, please please please, make solid top :))

Just email us and we can make one, will be ~$25

Reactions: VegetableStu

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Hey, folks. Signed up hoping someone might be able to answer a couple questions regarding the HDD brackets (3.5"). I'm trying to figure their compatibility with other components, as well as how many can actually fit in the case.

Is it possible to fit two brackets at once on the bottom, front, side hinge, or (new) top rails? Or are you stuck doing, say, one bracket on the bottom, one bracket on the hinge?

I'm trying to figure out if I can manage to squeeze in a minimum of four 3.5" HDDs (more is always good, too!) while also fitting a 240mm radiator. I guess I'm thinking radiator in the bottom, then HDDs wherever they can fit - but that part isn't too clear to me.

I'm currently running a Lian-Li PC-Q25 (which is great), but I upgraded to an i7 8700 and boy is it hot. Hoping putting it under water might help, but the PC-Q25 doesn't really have support for water.

Any help and insight is appreciated!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hey, folks. Signed up hoping someone might be able to answer a couple questions regarding the HDD brackets (3.5"). I'm trying to figure their compatibility with other components, as well as how many can actually fit in the case.

Is it possible to fit two brackets at once on the bottom, front, side hinge, or (new) top rails? Or are you stuck doing, say, one bracket on the bottom, one bracket on the hinge?

I'm trying to figure out if I can manage to squeeze in a minimum of four 3.5" HDDs (more is always good, too!) while also fitting a 240mm radiator. I guess I'm thinking radiator in the bottom, then HDDs wherever they can fit - but that part isn't too clear to me.

I'm currently running a Lian-Li PC-Q25 (which is great), but I upgraded to an i7 8700 and boy is it hot. Hoping putting it under water might help, but the PC-Q25 doesn't really have support for water.

Any help and insight is appreciated!

Cerberus or Cerberus X?

What's your power supply?

Keeping your ITX board?

Either Cerberus or X can fit the HDD brackets in front or top and still fit your radiator.HDD brackets basically mount anywhere you can fit them, the radiator should be the bigger concern as it's either bottom or front.

Would get a 280mm radiator while you're at it, 240mm won't give you much room for overclock on an 8700K.

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Cerberus or Cerberus X?

What's your power supply?

Keeping your ITX board?

Either Cerberus or X can fit the HDD brackets in front or top and still fit your radiator.

Also would get a 280mm radiator while you're at it, 240mm won't give you much room for overclock on an 8700K.

Ah, whoops -

Cerberus.

Currently using a Silverstone SX-500 LG (rev.2).

Yes, keeping the ITX board.

I'd probably just end up going with the largest (but quietest) AIO I can fit. I'm not running a K chip, though, so not concerned with OC temps. Still, 8700 non-K under a Noctua NH-L12S had a couple cores hit 100C under load, averaging low 90s. Would like to bring that down.

Is there room on the top mount for two HDD brackets with the SFX-L PSU?

Edit - or did you mean, one HDD brack on top and one on front, with a radiator?