Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Ah, whoops -

I'd probably just end up going with the largest (but quietest) AIO I can fit. I'm not running a K chip, though, so not concerned with OC temps. Still, 8700 non-K under a Noctua NH-L12S had a couple cores hit 100C under load, averaging low 90s. Would like to bring that down.

Is there room on the top mount for two HDD brackets with the SFX-L PSU?

Edit - or did you mean, one HDD brack on top and one on front, with a radiator?

Yes to room on top for 2x HDD kits with 4x total 3.5" HDD with the SFX-L PSU.

You will need a radiator for this setup though as there will be no room for air cooler.

240mm AIO in the bottom pulling air in front bottom should do you fine on a 8700, get you down to the mid-80s.

Reactions: SweetVandal

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Yes to room on top for 2x HDD kits with 4x total 3.5" HDD with the SFX-L PSU.

You will need a radiator for this setup though as there will be no room for air cooler.

240mm AIO in the bottom pulling air in front bottom should do you fine on a 8700, get you down to the mid-80s.

Very cool, thanks for the input. Was also considering a radiator in front with drives at the bottom, but wasn't sure on space. The GIFs on Page 1 were helpful though, and definitely made it look like two mounts might fit together, but wanted to be sure. Would love to see the top bracket get worked into those too.

Last edited:

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Okay, last question on the HDD brackets - can they only fasten to the vents from the bottom / laying flat? Or can they be fastened on the side, too? For example, could you mount two HDD brackets to the vents on the rear of the case (where an ATX PSU would be)? Or, say, two on the bottom, turned on their side and back-to-back? Hopefully that makes sense. There's just not quite as much documentation/discussion on the drive brackets, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Just kind of kicking ideas around until I settle on something. (Truthfully, not much else has caught my attention that would be worth replacing the Lian-Li - just waiting on Nvidia's August announcement at this point.)

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Thanks again. I believe I read at the beginning of the thread that the case has two different frames depending on the PSU you want to use. Is that still the case? Or can you order all the adapters and just move the PSU from front to back as you need? My preference would be to front mount, but if I need to pivot and rear mount the PSU, I don't want to be SOL.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Thanks again. I believe I read at the beginning of the thread that the case has two different frames depending on the PSU you want to use. Is that still the case? Or can you order all the adapters and just move the PSU from front to back as you need? My preference would be to front mount, but if I need to pivot and rear mount the PSU, I don't want to be SOL.

Frame is universal, the plates can be swapped out for switching between ATX, SFX, or FXL internal.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@KSliger Could I ask the exact measure for the flat head screws of the side hinge? I could not find the keywords to find the, in europe in metric dimension.

Thank you very much!

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Are these circles removable plugs? If so, how large is this opening when removed?

Yes, and 2.5cm.

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Thank you! About how large is that panel altogether? I know that it supports 92mm fans, so I'm guessing between 92-100mm?

11cm x 17.5cm to the end at that bottom extended screw hole on the bottom right of the picture above. The length of the bottom bit is 5.5mm. I don't have a caliper so I am eyeballing it with a ruler.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sorry for the late reply.

The pump/res combo initially required placing the parts in a certain order, but now I'm familiar with it and have learned that I can just put the pump in first and let it rest/stand on top of the GPU. Then, I simply close the side-bracket and attach the pump to it using the screws/washers. I haven't encountered any performance or temperature issues. The GPU runs very cool and the CPU runs okay at stock. The CPU in general runs pretty hot though and that's why I decided to water cool in the first place. I ended up giving up on running all cores at 4.2GHz+ because of the voltage requirement and decided to leave it at stock.

Thanks a lot!

Actually, I am trying to have the pump connected to the radiator/fans, to have the possibility to open the hinge and have shorter tubes.
I will use a DDC BTW and the fan pushing air from the front.

One question How is the Hardware labs 240 compared to the 280? I will use it with the new sterrox fan, and if the cooling performances of both are for few degrees similar, I prefer to go with the 240 and stuck all the cables behind it!

Your custom loop is helping a lot to study mine! especially because I will have 3 GPU, an SSD on the hinge, so space it will be so tight!

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Any thoughts about https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XyJBhy?

I’ve got a Cerberus grey slate on the way (just ordered)! Basically I’m replacing my 2500k system which has served me well enough for editing and gaming, am looking to downsize and have a thunderbolt port available.

Looks good! I'd assume with the Noctua cooler there isn't going to be any intense overclocking. The SF450 should be okay.

Get some dust filters for the front fans and you're all set.

Last edited:

exit

Case Bender
Aug 1, 2018
Looks good! I'd assume with the Noctua cooler there isn't going to be any intense overclocking. The SF450 should be okay.

Get some dust filters for the front fans and you're all set.
I wasn't planning on any crazy OC, but if I were which cooler would you choose? Which dust filters? I figured the 450 would cut it because it's that list plus another SSD and a few random components

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I wasn't planning on any crazy OC, but if I were which cooler would you choose? Which dust filters? I figured the 450 would cut it because it's that list plus another SSD and a few random components

I will suggest jumping to the SF600, it cost just a bit more, and give to you more range.
For the cooler definitively I will fo for a Noctua U9s! And if you go with the Corsair LPX you can have 2 fan!
For the dust filter, I have the DEMCiflex 120 with the cutout for the screw. It works perfectly! You can save money on the 970 Pro and take the 970 Evo, and a bit faster ram like the Corsair LPX 3200 C16 or the Gskill 3200 C16.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Any thoughts about https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XyJBhy?

I’ve got a Cerberus grey slate on the way (just ordered)! Basically I’m replacing my 2500k system which has served me well enough for editing and gaming, am looking to downsize and have a thunderbolt port available.
My only advice will be to go for sfx-l psu...by far quieter than SFX on load..:D

ps : I own SF450, SF600 and SX-800 lti...this last one is the quiestest on load...by far..:)

Reactions: sn0man

Spartoi

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
Thanks a lot!

Actually, I am trying to have the pump connected to the radiator/fans, to have the possibility to open the hinge and have shorter tubes.
I will use a DDC BTW and the fan pushing air from the front.

One question How is the Hardware labs 240 compared to the 280? I will use it with the new sterrox fan, and if the cooling performances of both are for few degrees similar, I prefer to go with the 240 and stuck all the cables behind it!

Your custom loop is helping a lot to study mine! especially because I will have 3 GPU, an SSD on the hinge, so space it will be so tight!

Well the difference between 240 and 280 is only 40mm of rad space so the differences in performance are likely minimal. I wanted to max out performance though so that's why I went with a 280. I'm sure using another 240mm rad will be just as fine.

Reactions: MarcParis