Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
True ML120 outperformed EK Vardar....at 2000+ rpm...:) Below Vardars are clear winner. Personnally my GT fans are spinning around 1000-1600 on average. I'm reaching 2150rpm only for some heavy cpu benchmarks.

Yeah, I should have linked the specific graph I was referring to. You can't compare RPM to RPM because fans make very different noise at a given RPM. The important relationship is noise vs airflow through radiator.

The ML120 makes less noise for a given airflow requirement at just about every setting. That said, the Gentle Typhoons are very close at lower RPMs and some people like their noise character better(this is a big factor in noise perception that no reviews cover), but GTs weren't available on amazon.ca when I bought my fans so I didn't consider them.

Anyway Thermalbench graphs could be misleading (many graphs, several meanings).
But I wish to have Noctua NF a12x25 such detailled review.

Yeah I agree, it's VERY difficult to find good fan reviews. There are some that measure noise like the one I linked to above, and some that measure temps on a given heatsink like this youtube one, and between that and what a lot of industry people are saying, it's fairly clear that the Noctua probably beats every other 120mm fan, but I agree we need a more conclusive review from someone genuinely thorough like Gamers Nexus.

I'd love to see a 4-way comparison of the Darkside GT, ML120 Pro, NF-A12x25, and Vardar.

aneasyusername

Cable Smoosher
Dec 27, 2017
What have people been using for mesh filters on the Cerberus? I thought I could get away without them, but my corgi has proven a worthy adversary and his fur is making it into the case with ease. Also, if anyone is interested in a white vented window or an HDD bracket, let me know! I'm currently using a vented window panel and had no room for any HDDs inside the case

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What have people been using for mesh filters on the Cerberus? I thought I could get away without them, but my corgi has proven a worthy adversary and his fur is making it into the case with ease. Also, if anyone is interested in a white vented window or an HDD bracket, let me know! I'm currently using a vented window panel and had no room for any HDDs inside the case
Demciflex could be useful.

Personnaly I'm 2x140 demciflex on front, 2x120 bottom and 1x92mm on rear.

check my log to have more details...and you will see that my cats prevent me to remove filters..;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah, I should have linked the specific graph I was referring to. You can't compare RPM to RPM because fans make very different noise at a given RPM. The important relationship is noise vs airflow through radiator.

The ML120 makes less noise for a given airflow requirement at just about every setting. That said, the Gentle Typhoons are very close at lower RPMs and some people like their noise character better(this is a big factor in noise perception that no reviews cover), but GTs weren't available on amazon.ca when I bought my fans so I didn't consider them.

Yeah I agree, it's VERY difficult to find good fan reviews. There are some that measure noise like the one I linked to above, and some that measure temps on a given heatsink like this youtube one, and between that and what a lot of industry people are saying, it's fairly clear that the Noctua probably beats every other 120mm fan, but I agree we need a more conclusive review from someone genuinely thorough like Gamers Nexus.

I'd love to see a 4-way comparison of the Darkside GT, ML120 Pro, NF-A12x25, and Vardar.
In fact, i preferred using/cross check rpm/noise comparison based on video..;)

On top of that, ML-120 fans was one of the worst covered, especially when I saw some reviewers using DC control on this fan...generating horrible noise at low rpm/voltage....crappy.

Totally agree about how hard it is to find proper and exhaustive review.

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Added Scythe Fuma Rev B and added another 140mm fan. The real question is how much of an effort will it be for me to strip down those GPU power cables + the motherboard cables to keep things even tidier.

Fixed my weird sound buzzing issues in my headphones while playing games by uping the fan curve on my Fans.

If anyone has a idea of how to do a screw removal with the default screws let me know. One of my screws got stuck in the backplate. I need an idea to get it out.
3 140mm Intake. 2 in the bottom, 1 in the front.

Update: I think the actual issue is my motherboard's cables that connect to the PSU are way too close to the GPU. the GPU generates heat and which causes some surge to occur within the power supply causing a full system freeze. I swapped the PSU around so the cables are on the other side. Lets see if this fixes the problem. Anyone know if there are right angle connectors to seasonic power supplies?

Update: Here are the pictures if people are concerned. You can take a look at my previous albums at the remaining one

Last edited:

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
It seems fine stays under 80C on prime 95. 53C Idle. It equivalent to the reviews I have found. I currently have a Noctua 120mm fan and the 2 scythe fans. I could get the sterrox fans but they are too pricy for the value I would get out of it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It seems fine stays under 80C on prime 95. 53C Idle. It equivalent to the reviews I have found. I currently have a Noctua 120mm fan and the 2 scythe fans. I could get the sterrox fans but they are too pricy for the value I would get out of it.
Don't expect tons of improvments of your maximum cpu cooling by switching fans...you already have 3...;) However it could lead to better ratio cooling/noise/rpm.

For your stuck screw, you can try to drill screw head.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Added Scythe Fuma Rev B and added another 140mm fan. The real question is how much of an effort will it be for me to strip down those GPU power cables + the motherboard cables to keep things even tidier.

Fixed my weird sound buzzing issues in my headphones while playing games by uping the fan curve on my Fans.

If anyone has a idea of how to do a screw removal with the default screws let me know. One of my screws got stuck in the backplate. I need an idea to get it out.
3 140mm Intake. 2 in the bottom, 1 in the front.

Update: I think the actual issue is my motherboard's cables that connect to the PSU are way too close to the GPU. the GPU generates heat and which causes some surge to occur within the power supply causing a full system freeze. I swapped the PSU around so the cables are on the other side. Lets see if this fixes the problem. Anyone know if there are right angle connectors to seasonic power supplies?

Update: Here are the pictures if people are concerned. You can take a look at my previous albums at the remaining one
Please could you take a picture with side panel on?
Do you manage to close you side panel with Fuma?

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Please could you take a picture with side panel on?
Do you manage to close you side panel with Fuma?
The side panel will close with no issues. The cooler doesn't touch the side panel, but the fans will touch the side panel when the panel is closed. The panel doesn't actually push on the fans, just touches them. I'm using ML120 fans which have slightly larger outer dimensions compared to most fans (more plastic and rubber on edges), so I'm fairly sure that most 120mm fans will fit perfectly without ever touching the side panel.
It is an extremely tight fit though, and at first glance it seems as though it may not fit. I was probably one of the first to try using the Fuma in the Cerberus X, and I was fairly surprised when it fit millimeter for millimeter without issue at all.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The side panel will close with no issues. The cooler doesn't touch the side panel, but the fans will touch the side panel when the panel is closed. The panel doesn't actually push on the fans, just touches them. I'm using ML120 fans which have slightly larger outer dimensions compared to most fans (more plastic and rubber on edges), so I'm fairly sure that most 120mm fans will fit perfectly without ever touching the side panel.
It is an extremely tight fit though, and at first glance it seems as though it may not fit. I was probably one of the first to try using the Fuma in the Cerberus X, and I was fairly surprised when it fit millimeter for millimeter without issue at all.
Thanks for information.

In terms of the fuma cooling performance, are you satisfied?

ps : like all air cpu cooler in cerberus X, I'm a bit worried about airflow...either you proper intake...but no real exhaust...or the contrary. With watercooling (especially radiator on bottom), airflow is just really fine, with intake from bottom and exhaust on side and top.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have a Scythe Kabuto 2 in my Ryzen 1800X system that does get audible (not annoying to me) when loaded, and I have the Fuma waiting on me to not play Factorio to install it. Soon I'll get mine installed as well and report back with my experience too.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Thanks for information.

In terms of the fuma cooling performance, are you satisfied?

ps : like all air cpu cooler in cerberus X, I'm a bit worried about airflow...either you proper intake...but no real exhaust...or the contrary. With watercooling (especially radiator on bottom), airflow is just really fine, with intake from bottom and exhaust on side and top.
The cooling is quite impressive. I have a Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.9ghz, 1.28v, and I haven't seen temps above 60c for normal use. Any of the prime95 tests result in temps around 85c. In terms of exhaust, I have a 92mm noiseblocker fan spinning rather fast (1800-2100 rpm) but it's really quiet and moves a lot of air. I have noticed hot spots around the area where the SLI connectors would be, so I'm considering adding a slim 120mm or 140mm fan to the top with the handle bracket. In terms of airflow, I have bottom intake, 120mm fans on a Morpheus ii which push air up from the intake, and a 92mm fan exhausting from the rear. Not the most optimal airflow, but I did expect temps to be a bit warmer due to the tempered glass side panel I'm using.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I have a Scythe Kabuto 2 in my Ryzen 1800X system that does get audible (not annoying to me) when loaded, and I have the Fuma waiting on me to not play Factorio to install it. Soon I'll get mine installed as well and report back with my experience too.

The cooling is quite impressive. I have a Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.9ghz, 1.28v, and I haven't seen temps above 60c for normal use. Any of the prime95 tests result in temps around 85c. In terms of exhaust, I have a 92mm noiseblocker fan spinning rather fast (1800-2100 rpm) but it's really quiet and moves a lot of air. I have noticed hot spots around the area where the SLI connectors would be, so I'm considering adding a slim 120mm or 140mm fan to the top with the handle bracket. In terms of airflow, I have bottom intake, 120mm fans on a Morpheus ii which push air up from the intake, and a 92mm fan exhausting from the rear. Not the most optimal airflow, but I did expect temps to be a bit warmer due to the tempered glass side panel I'm using.

Thanks for your feedback.
I know fuma is not far away from noctua d15 in terms of performance. After it will be great to have proper intake...like replacing front sfx psu by a 140mm intake fan..:) (with hdplex psu..:))

With my noctua c14, the best overall setup was in full exhaust...but performance is well behind my customed loop.

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
I'll post some pictures this weekend of the Scythe Fuma clearance.

Sad News guys. MY PC keeps freezing still even after everything. Next I am going to pull the PSU out and run the PC like that see may be doing this. If the PC is passing and not screatching and freezing then I know my problem. If it doesn't then it may be some cable touching something bad.

If anyone has other troubleshooting let me know. This only started happening since I moved cases.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'll post some pictures this weekend of the Scythe Fuma clearance.

Sad News guys. MY PC keeps freezing still even after everything. Next I am going to pull the PSU out and run the PC like that see may be doing this. If the PC is passing and not screatching and freezing then I know my problem. If it doesn't then it may be some cable touching something bad.

If anyone has other troubleshooting let me know. This only started happening since I moved cases.
Thanks for Fuma pictures.

Sad news indeed for your setup. As I told you, issues you were encountering were not typical of a simple overheating...most probably, your MB is guilty. Good luck to your bug hunt.