Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

yosvos

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2018
Hey guys,

I have decided to overclock my i7 7820x using my current cooler Noctua c14s with x2 EK vader 2000 rpm fans running in push pull.

This set up is not cutting it for me.

I am thinking about moving to a bottom mounted AIO. Which 280mm or 240mm AIOs have been confirmed to fit in the bottom of the Cerberus X case?

I am using the Asus tuf mark 1 x299 motherboard if that matters to any of you.

Thanks in advance!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Here are a couple of build shots of the Corsair H100i V2 working in mine with an AM4 Taichi. Currently back to an x58 Sabertooth for some Xeon OC fun with the same AIO and Cerberus X.

Other than height and board size support the Cerberus and X are the same.

The fans will cover some of the bottom part of your board so the case power, led, and possibly usb headers will need connected before you mount the AIO rad. You may lose an expansion slot as well due to this.

Cheers!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah, I can really recommend these fans, so silent and moves a huge amount of air, it is crazy how good they are. I'm very surprised actually, I had the Noctua iPPC before so I did not expect them to keep roughly the same temperature, but they do.

The filters I'm using are from http://www.demcifilter.com/ , in the front I have two Ncase M1 120mm filters, https://www.demcifilter.com/demcifl...for-ncase-m1-120mm-square-2-pack-dust-filters ,and in bottom I have one originally made for Ncase M1, https://www.demcifilter.com/demciflex-magnetic-dust-filter-for-ncase-m1-v2-bottom-dust-filter .

Good luck!

Yeah I bought 3xML120s for my build(best performing 120mm radiator fans at the time) and now I'm seriously considering replacing them with the Noctua NF-A12x25s because of how much quieter reviews have been indicating they are at a given rpm.

Please, please, never say that ML120 fan was ever the best 120mm fan on radiator...please never say that...as it never was.
ML120 fan have very loud motor and quite uneffective blade shape for radiator.
For radiator :
  • king of all 120mm fans is still Gentle typhoon (either Scythe or dark side)...even at 2150rpm this gentle typhoon is making far less noise than most fan at 1200rpm...not even mentionning its blade shape, oriented on air pressure...this fan was first released around 2007.
  • prince is EK Vardar. louder than gentle typhoon but sharing similar cooling efficiency on radiator
I have high hopes on Noctua A12x25 to be the 2018 version of gentle typhoon as they shared a very similar design & features.

However, what is strange, is that I didn't see any strong Nocta A12x25 review yet...especially comparing it versus its best/worst competitor...Gentle typhoon (or even vs Vardar).
Optimum tech made a good video for A12x25 as case fan.( let's wait for the second video dedicated to radiator fan)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
I'm not a reviewer but I have had Gentle Typhoons and can compare them to my new Noctua NF-A12x25, and the Noctuas are way more silent.

The GT fans have a very special and annoying hum to the motor that really bothers me, even at low RPM, and quality is less.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm not a reviewer but I have had Gentle Typhoons and can compare them to my new Noctua NF-A12x25, and the Noctuas are way more silent.

The GT fans have a very special and annoying hum to the motor that really bothers me, even at low RPM, and quality is less.
Which variant of gentle typhoon are you speaking of?

Well i have to agree on quality on gentle typhoon, especially on early releases.

I've 10 gentle typhoon (6 scythe AP15 1850rpm and 4 dark side AP60 2150rpm).
On my AP-15 original scythe version, 50% have some motor noise (from low to medium). Also noise @1850rpm is higher than my 2150rpm dark side version.
However on my AP60dark side, all are fine...and I'm definitely impressed by their noise level @2150rpm.

Don't get me wrong.
Noctua are pretty good fans. i wanted to highlight current state of the art of fan dedicated for radiator. Before nf a12-25, Noctua has no real competitive fan for radiator (even P12 was poorly gifted vs GT)

Noctua (like be quiet) fans have advantage to have very quiet (with very low motor noise) on low speed, with good reliability.
However, Noctua fans I own (P12, F12, nf a12x15, PPC 12, PPC14) tend to be pretty noisy at higher rpm.
I'm hoping that NF A12-25 @2000rpm is closer in noise to GT/Vardar than noctua PPC 120 2000...:)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Thanks a lot! Ordered!

I have one question fot @KSliger, becasue my USB 3 cable arrived in blue, could you suggest one website where I can looking for a black one, of different sizes? Thanks a lot!

This should work

https://www.pccables.com/products/73500.html

Hey guys,

I have decided to overclock my i7 7820x using my current cooler Noctua c14s with x2 EK vader 2000 rpm fans running in push pull.

Would look into a really beefy air cooler for that CPU, possibly some more intake and exhaust fans before a 280mm AIO.

240mm AIO will not be sufficient for that CPU overclocked.

yosvos

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2018
[QUOTE="KSliger - Would look into a really beefy air cooler for that CPU, possibly some more intake and exhaust fans before a 280mm AIO.

240mm AIO will not be sufficient for that CPU overclocked.[/QUOTE]

Do you recommend a particular set up for maximum cooling? I am open to all options.

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
Please, please, never say that ML120 fan was ever the best 120mm fan on radiator...please never say that...as it never was.
ML120 fan have very loud motor and quite uneffective blade shape for radiator.

Multiple reviews indicated that it was, and that it consistently outperformed the vardars and GTs(which are about the same) in terms of noise for a given airflow through a radiator.

But I don't really want to get into some kind of argument about the ML120s, the new Noctuas massively outperform everything else on the market.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Multiple reviews indicated that it was, and that it consistently outperformed the vardars and GTs(which are about the same) in terms of noise for a given airflow through a radiator.

But I don't really want to get into some kind of argument about the ML120s, the new Noctuas massively outperform everything else on the market.

True ML120 outperformed EK Vardar....at 2000+ rpm...:) Below Vardars are clear winner. Personnally my GT fans are spinning around 1000-1600 on average. I'm reaching 2150rpm only for some heavy cpu benchmarks.

Anyway Thermalbench graphs could be misleading (many graphs, several meanings).
But I wish to have Noctua NF a12x25 such detailled review.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

True ML120 outperformed EK Vardar....at 2000+ rpm...:) Below Vardars are clear winner. Personnally my GT fans are spinning around 1000-1600 on average. I'm reaching 2150rpm only for some heavy cpu benchmarks.

Anyway Thermalbench graphs could be misleading (many graphs, several meanings).
But I wish to have Noctua NF a12x25 such detailled review.
I’m sure in depth tests are bring conducted /published soon :)

Reactions: MarcParis

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I’m sure in depth tests are bring conducted /published soon :)
can't wait for GN to start doing fan and PSU reviews. soon there'll be so much consistency
(on a separate note, the current reviewer on Jonnyguru is going to retire from reviewing PSUs this coming november ,_,)

Reactions: Nanook

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
can't wait for GN to start doing fan and PSU reviews. soon there'll be so much consistency
(on a separate note, the current reviewer on Jonnyguru is going to retire from reviewing PSUs this coming november ,_,)
Bad news for Jonnyguru, as it was psu reference guide.
At least Tom's Hardware is also making proper psu reviews.

For fan, martin's lab, extreme rigs were very good for watercooling. Thermalbench is not that bad, but could be hard to read/compare.

Definitely I like GN "scientist" method...even if their ITX case review...is a bit a R&D process..;) (they will surely split ITX case in several categories : very compact and fat itx..;))

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
GN admits they're very loose on their ITX / SFF-to-mini-tower case reviews because of how varied the layouts can be, which I see as a happy side effect to the kind of things being done to keep total volume down

still would love to see GN review the cerberus C11U. obvious scores against it would be price and cable management, but I wonder from a straightforward builder's perspective...

EDIT: xtremerigs recently got me poisoned to looking into super high end radiators ,_, whyyyyyyyy

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Guys, a quick teaser on my future Cerberus-X!
Still missing more RAM, few custom cables, and the upcoming Threadripper 2 and MB! I guess in September will be finished and I will post a full build log!
Thanks for everything!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Guys, a quick teaser on my future Cerberus-X!
Still missing more RAM, few custom cables, and the upcoming Threadripper 2 and MB! I guess in September will be finished and I will post a full build log!
Thanks for everything!
Mamamia!!
On your way to have second most powerful cerberus-x?...:) (record is still threadripper with 4 titan v...:))

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Mamamia!!
On your way to have second most powerful cerberus-x?...:) (record is still threadripper with 4 titan v...:))
Ahahaha, that is the King, and for respect, no one should build something similar! BUT, I hope to add a third GPU, let's see what Nvidia will release!

Last edited: