Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

dragonshardz

Efficiency Noob
Nov 10, 2017
I'm having a problem with the power switch - it lights up, but pressing it doesn't make the machine power on. To which headers are the leads supposed to go? I have the black/white pair on the PWR_LED header and the black/red pair on PWR_SW, both with the black sides on the positive terminal.

hey just to check with you guys: does the base model come with a set of 2.5" disk mounts? o_o

Yes, it does.

Reactions: VegetableStu

MrBreakfst

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
I'm having a problem with the power switch - it lights up, but pressing it doesn't make the machine power on. To which headers are the leads supposed to go? I have the black/white pair on the PWR_LED header and the black/red pair on PWR_SW, both with the black sides on the positive terminal.

Yes, it does.
The polarity doesn't matter for either wire, but try swapping from pwr to led, and vice versa

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
hey just to check with you guys: does the base model come with a set of 2.5" disk mounts? o_o
They look to be $10 for the 2.5" SSD bracket in the configurator.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
They...should be right next to the motherboard standoffs on the interior of the case. Theyrr integrated.

They look to be $10 for the 2.5" SSD bracket in the configurator.

wait I think I figured out what's going on ,_, the included ones are describing the mount points that's part of the tray, not a pair of the little L-plates

i r stupid ¡-¡ (still need to PM sliger for an unrelated part though ,_,)

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
wait I think I figured out what's going on ,_, the included ones are describing the mount points that's part of the tray, not a pair of the little L-plates

i r stupid ¡-¡ (still need to PM sliger for an unrelated part though ,_,)

Easy to understand the confusion. :( Sorry dude.
  • Mounting for (2x) 2.5" SSD with optional add-on 3.5" HDD and 2.5" SSD brackets

Reactions: VegetableStu

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Weird point is that @Aibohphobia keeps repeating this.
And i remembered cerberus user to have cut nd move one standoff.
You are making soubting...:)
Short summary:
An ATX board will only physically fit in the Cerberus-X, and it has the correct standoffs to mount it.
An mATX board will physically fit in the Cerberus or Cerberus-X, but only the Cerberus has the correct standoffs to fully support the board.
An ITX board will fit in both the Cerberus and Cerberus-X, and both have the correct standoffs to mount the board.

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
If I chose the
Panel Color: Pearl White
Panel Set Option (Left Side): Vented with Window

is the left panel going to be Pearl White or original black? Because I saw Pearl Window Panel $40 under parts.

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
If I chose the
Panel Color: Pearl White
Panel Set Option (Left Side): Vented with Window

is the left panel going to be Pearl White or original black? Because I saw Pearl Window Panel $40 under parts.

Pretty sure if you select the +$10 option for Pearl White that is to cover the material cost of the premium powder coat and since that applies to a complete standard set of panels it will also cover the substitute +$20 windowed panel.

The +$40 windowed panel options on the parts tab are stand alone parts for existing owners upgrading and aren't needed by you.

Last edited:

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
Finally, my first custom loop ever. Tried to fit the pump inside, but I have to sacrifice my 3.5" HDD. So I put it outside and add that Coffee Warmer loop :p

Is that the Hardware Labs 280GTS you've got in there?

Also, is the front panel flat? Not talking about the part that curves but the middle part. As I want to mod the front panel to have a 120mm hole to get better airflow than just the side panels.

Last edited:

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Also, is the front panel flat? Not talking about the part that curves but the middle part. As I want to mod the front panel to have a 120mm hole to get better airflow than just the side panels.

The front panel is flat apart from the 'bevel' at the sides, ie the center flat section is a little narrower than the full width of the case.

That said, the cutouts in the front panel side section seem plenty big enough for air flow. Modding the front would only seem necessary if you were mounting gear between the main chassis and the front panel which is not a normal config. Some discussion of this previously, I think it was determined some slim (120x15mm?) fans might fit there but clearance to the front panel almost nil so modding probably required.

Certainly seems like an opportunity for some future options. A deeper front panel designed to cover fans on the outside of the chassis could be really handy for certain builds and a great way to make the case expandable for those that run out of room in the future.

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
For the Cerberus X. It says 45mm height (30mm AIO + 15mm fan) for the 280mm AIO. Is this only because of the 140mm fans bigger width? Does it block the ATX motherboards plugs which prevents the function of the mb or does it only cover it and doesnt affect any funtions?

If it does affect the function, a 240mm AIO thus 120mm fans (with 25mm thickness) would be small enough to not affect the function of an ATX motherboard?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
For the Cerberus X. It says 45mm height (30mm AIO + 15mm fan) for the 280mm AIO. Is this only because of the 140mm fans bigger width? Does it block the ATX motherboards plugs which prevents the function of the mb or does it only cover it and doesnt affect any funtions?

If it does affect the function, a 240mm AIO thus 120mm fans (with 25mm thickness) would be small enough to not affect the function of an ATX motherboard?
For either cerberus or cerberus-x, i strongly recommend 240mm radiator at bottom, in order to keep access to all i/o of motherboard, generally located at bottom of motherboard.

For cerberus-x only, you can go to front 280mm with no other restriction than putting psu at rear location/limiting also cpu cooler height.

Reactions: Phuncz

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
So to follow up on your 45mm AIO clearance waterblock bracket.

I am looking to move from meshify C --> cerberus X. I have a ATX 170mm PSU. and a 10.5inch EVGA 1080. I sadly will need to let go of my Noctua NHD15 for this case. So I was wondering which AIOs will actually work with this AIO clearance?

Specs:
Z370 Taichi + i7 8700k
16gb corsair LPX
GTX 1080
Seasonic Prime 750W

Configuration: 280mm/240mm AIO in the front, with intake fans at the bottom. Some creative method of mounting my SSDs

So far my research has this so far:
NZXT x61 will work due to low profile
Enermax TR4 280mm (however this is only for threadripper not for intel mounts)
NZXT x62 is 52mm tall so this will not work
Any of the Corsairs are out that don't have swivel joints.

Sadly there hasn't been much dimension info on majority of these aios. So does anyone know what AIOs will work with this 45mm clearance limitation?

I am just debating the size drop from meshify C to cerberus X.

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
For either cerberus or cerberus-x, i strongly recommend 240mm radiator at bottom, in order to keep access to all i/o of motherboard, generally located at bottom of motherboard.

For cerberus-x only, you can go to front 280mm with no other restriction than putting psu at rear location/limiting also cpu cooler height.
Brilliant. Stupidly, I never configured 240mm at the bottom. It also puts a GPU length restriction to 275mm, or 288mm total (because of the 13mm metal bracket that goes outside of the case) with it touching the radiator. But it wouldn't be possible to cram a 288mm GPU and a radiator in with 0mm of space in between without damaging the radiator.

Sadly there hasn't been much dimension info on majority of these aios. So does anyone know what AIOs will work with this 45mm clearance limitation?

I am just debating the size drop from meshify C to cerberus X.

This is why I was going with the x399m Taichi TR4 MB. But I'm not going to be getting Gen 1 or 2, I am waiting for 7nm late 2019. I'm hoping ASRock creates a mATX x499m which would help determine that they would also make it for x599m. But since X399 will work until 2019 (x599 if they come out with x599) there's also the fact that they will only make the one x399m Taichi for all 3 generations of TR4 and won't make another 1 until TR4 changes to TR5 (or whatever).

However, since having the 240mm RAD at the bottom fixes this I can get an ATX MB instead. Before My configuration was a 120 RAD at the front-top, 280 RAD at the bottom with EVGA Hybrid stacked on the right bottom fan. I didn't want my GPU temps inside of my CPU which will be running 100% a lot of the time. But now I am most likely just going to do a normal CPU+GPU custom loop since I will have the extra 120mm RAD from the 240mm RAD.

I was also contemplating an EVGA Hybrid @266mm (not the FTW3 @288mm it would not fit easily, FTW3 is better binned and factory overclocked) along with my custom loop just for the CPU. For the CPU I wanted the best cooling possible because it will be a rendering machine. But if I stacked the EVGA Hybrid radiator on top of 1 of the 120mm fans on the 240mm radiator I would not have room for a hard drive since the radiator would invade both 120mm fans now allowing proper mounting of a 120mm Fan to HDD bracket.

I can put the hard drive where the 140mm fan is at on the side but I want to place an intake fan there. So if I were put the EVGA Hybrid on top of the 120mm Fan and a HDD bracket on the other 120mm fan I would be blocking off all the other PCIe slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak