Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Consider matte black side panels if possible. I have these on the LZ7 case and it looks and feels amazing, along with being less prone to leaving fingerprints.

That's an amazing idea. Are those sheets made out of matte PMMA or some other material? Glossy acrylic sheets are a fingerprint magnets, matte panels would solve the problem. I'm gonna order them and check how they look on the next prototype.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
As far as I know from the LZ7 thread, the acrylic panels are sold (B2B) as matte black and I believe a few other colors. The sides are glossy though.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The matte panels definitely feel more luxurious and higher quality, from feedback received was overwhelmingly in favour of matte, so all panels are now matte as standard with options for glossy panels.

Ponoko do matte finish in 3mm panels, but not 5mm last time I checked. If you wanted I could laser cut them for you, probably for a lower price (probably).

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
The matte panels definitely feel more luxurious and higher quality, from feedback received was overwhelmingly in favour of matte, so all panels are now matte as standard with options for glossy panels.

Ponoko do matte finish in 3mm panels, but not 5mm last time I checked. If you wanted I could laser cut them for you, probably for a lower price (probably).

Wow that's a great info I'm gonna switch to matte panels right away. Doing a quick research I found Perspex S29221 matte black sheets around the area where I live. I'm using 3mm thick sheets, they seem to be stiff enough. Thanks for the offer I'm very greatfull. I have an access to a laser cutter but just at the prototyping stage. Let's talk later.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'd like to thank everyone who filled the survey. Results helped me improve the design of xCase, furthermore they will help me design future cases. If you didn't fill the survey yet but you would like to - go ahead, I'll be checking new answers every few days.

I'm proud to say that the wait for xCase Nano is over! I've recently manufactured the preproduction unit and I'm blown away with how great the case looks. An advice to switch to matte side panels was one of the best I've received so far. They look awesome and I'll offer them as a default finish option. Case supports 12 mm vandal buttons now.

I'm starting manufacturing the first batch of 5 black units of xCase Nano (finish straight from the printer, matte black side panels). They should be ready 3 weeks from now. You can preorder the case by sending me the private message. The price is just $99 (shipping not included). Feel free to message me if you have any questions regarding the case. In the meantime I'll start working on a website with online shop and prepare for production of xCase 1080mini / AC.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
@Signols Expect it in 3 - 4 weeks, I have to prepare bigger printers which takes some time. You can count on me sending you the first unit as soon as it's ready.

Reactions: Biowarejak