Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Looks Great! what's the small one with the g-unique AIO in it >? And what are these weighing in at >? Are they lightweight? I Hope

Thanks! It's a previous version I was working on. Just a motherboard, one SSD and HP AIO AC-DC unit from Gury. Fully 3D printed. Current xCase weights approx. 600g.

Will you add feet to the bottom to give the GPU more breathing room? Looking great so far. All that's left now is a spot for the power button and power inlet for the PSU

I will definitely add some feet to the case but I haven't decide whether they should be embedded into the bazel or bottom panel. That's true I'll add power button and power inlet in a couple of days. I'm also improving printability as well as finishing methods - these are the biggest tasks for now.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That looks very nice. The vents and rounded shape really help make the design stand out on its own. Any chance you can make the top cover out of clear acrylic? Maybe that slight green tinted Perspex that makes it look more like glass.

I also have used Sintech's 50mm riser before and it works great. It's a master contortionist and holds its shape well.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
That looks very nice. The vents and rounded shape really help make the design stand out on its own. Any chance you can make the top cover out of clear acrylic? Maybe that slight green tinted Perspex that makes it look more like glass.

I also have used Sintech's 50mm riser before and it works great. It's a master contortionist and holds its shape well.

Thanks! Great idea about clear top cover I'll offer it as an option for sure.

Guys I'm looking into some options to differenciate the case from S4 mini. Which option would you be mostly interested in?
1. Similar dimensions and hardware config as S4 mini
2. Out of the box compatibility with 1080 mini
3. Internal AC-DC unit + higher CPU cooler compatibility
4. Watercooling compatibility

mrfess

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2017
I would love to see some of these ideas in your case

-lightweight

- place for G-Unique internal AC-DC unit and NO graphics card

- place for total of 4 ssds if wanted

- a cool retractable handle on your case would really separate it from the crowd- not sure if it’s needed though

- My main suggestion is different pattern options for the top and bottom, something more modern and serious looking, with lines cutout as vents or something

- i like the clear option idea by CC Ricers also.

mrfess

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2017
I know we all cram these into backpacks, and construct smaller builds to be more mobile. A portable case would be best for me. But I know that's probably not your vision here. The more professional these cases look and the more mobile they are, I believe would give you the best advantage from others. I know the link to picture I attached isn't what you're probably going for- But it does look professional and mobile. Check this link

https://technabob.com/blog/2017/03/12/renogy-phoenix-generator-power-briefcase-review/

Reactions: Matt3D

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Not really a fan of the wrap around bezel design. Does it really need to go all around the case? Wouldn't it suffice to have it just wrap around the front/sides?

What I would be really interested in is a service which allows you to design your own bezels. Maybe I want I a solid wrap around with slanted vents. Or perhaps holes in the front for usb ports. That being said, what is the cost of printing a bezel for you?

*Edit. Also would like to see space for a HDplex in there.
Also, from the photos, it doesn't really look like the top panels aligned with the case. I assume this is just standard protoype routine?

I would have screws for the bottom panel and use magnets for the top to give it a better look aesthetically.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The biggest difference I can think of is making the GPU face up so that its cooler takes air from the same side as the CPU cooler. That will require a ~15cm long flexible riser.

Another idea, allow 40mm of space in front of the motherboard for someone to install a sideways Mean Well 200W AC-DC unit.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
@mrfess @fminus @CC Ricers thanks for such an awesome feedback!
I would love to see some of these ideas in your case

-lightweight

- place for G-Unique internal AC-DC unit and NO graphics card

- place for total of 4 ssds if wanted

- a cool retractable handle on your case would really separate it from the crowd- not sure if it’s needed though

- My main suggestion is different pattern options for the top and bottom, something more modern and serious looking, with lines cutout as vents or something

- i like the clear option idea by CC Ricers also.

It's a great idea to make a version focused on storage! In such version graphics card could be replaced with G-Unique AC-DC unit and 4x SSD drives (maybe 1x 3.5" dirve as well). I'll consider a handle as an option in the future. Anyone else feels like top and bottom panels need different hole pattern? I guess I'll make a couple of versions and present here for everyone to vote.

Not really a fan of the wrap around bezel design. Does it really need to go all around the case? Wouldn't it suffice to have it just wrap around the front/sides?

What I would be really interested in is a service which allows you to design your own bezels. Maybe I want I a solid wrap around with slanted vents. Or perhaps holes in the front for usb ports. That being said, what is the cost of printing a bezel for you?

*Edit. Also would like to see space for a HDplex in there.
Also, from the photos, it doesn't really look like the top panels aligned with the case. I assume this is just standard protoype routine?

I would have screws for the bottom panel and use magnets for the top to give it a better look aesthetically.

Wrap around the front/sides is greatly suited for metal bended cases. Wrap around bezel is as far as I know the best compromise between design, strength, cost and functionality of 3D printed cases.

I love the idea of giving an option to add holes for USB ports on the front - it can be easily done. Changing the whole design of the bezel (e.g. changing venting hole patterns) is a good concept but in the real world much more difficult than people realize. I've tested solid bezels (no venting holes) - they can't be printed because part warps and quality of the product would be horrible. The same situation goes with standard round shaped holes. I'll consider it in the future but options for differents designs will have to be limited. I haven't count the cost of the bezel just yet. Bezels are manufactured all by myself and I'm optimizing the finishing process.

Version which would have the space for HDplex will be released for sure. I'm sure there is a demand for it.

You are right that top and bottom panels aren't aligned with the bezel - this is one of the problems with early prototypes. Cutting bigger holes for screws in panels should solve the problem.

Believe it or not, I've prototyped a couple of cases with panels mounted on magnets. To be frank I was a little worried that magnets could damage the hardware worth of thousands of dollars.

The biggest difference I can think of is making the GPU face up so that its cooler takes air from the same side as the CPU cooler. That will require a ~15cm long flexible riser.

Another idea, allow 40mm of space in front of the motherboard for someone to install a sideways Mean Well 200W AC-DC unit.

There are pros and cons of making the GPU face up. If I'm correct S3 mini was made that way but it wasn't as popular as S4 mini.

Are there versions of Meanwell PSU's suitable to power up 1080 mini? 400-500W? HP AC-DC unit from Gury can't reach more than 300W unless someone uses two in parallel. There will be around 40mm free space on front of the motherboard in xCase 1080mini - if there would be an AC-DC unit fitting into that space it would be a great combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

Awesome! I think I'll build it into version suitable to fit longer graphics cards.

BTW I just realized that my concept could be easily modified into Dan's style case. Simply extend the bezel to be approx. 110 mm tall, move motherboard I/O panel and graphics card I/O panel to the short side of the case and add middle plate. I'll make it happen in a couple of weeks.

EDIT There could even be two versions:
1. 340 x 200 x 110 - just like Dan's case with full length graphics card and SFX-L PSU.
2. 340 x 200 x 90 - full length graphics card and HP / Meanwell AC-DC unit.

Last edited:

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016

Don't you mean....

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
It looks possible to put HDPLEX 300W AC-DC w/PFC brick inside when using [xCase 1080mini] with shorter card [1070 mini or 1060mini]

Awesome finding, I'll keep that in mind and create the list of compatible hardware options, thanks!

If anyone wonders what's happening with the project - I've decided to research even more materials to find the most suitable one for the Bezel. From the top left: Z-Ultrat, HIPS, ASA and ABS as the reference. I'm still testing HIPS and ABS from different manufacturers. Another news is that I've added a power button! I can't make up my mind which power supply connector to use. Any opinions?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Easiest thing to print with that will hold up under heat: polymax pla

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind. ASA has become my personal favorite filament lately. Stratasys advertises it as the best material for production parts. I've made just a couple of prints using ASA but I'll definitelly play with it a lot more.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
Have you looked into any of the taulman filaments at all? They can be used for production parts but you need a special all metal hotend and enough power to heat them super hot.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I've heard of them, had a couple of their filaments in my hands but never actually printed anything. Do you have any particular material from their offer in mind? I'm open to suggestions. I have a couple of spools of Nylon laying around but I haven't had enough time to test them yet. The requirement of all metal hotend might be a problem though. I own a couple of Zortrax printers and they have PTFE tube inside a hotend.

Another manufacturer making high-end filaments is 3DXTech. I would love to test their ABS, ASA and HIPS filaments but unfortunately they aren't easy to get in Europe.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
grab an e3d v6 in 1.75 or 3.0mm, whichever size you need for your printer and then check these out from taulman:

alloy 910

t lyne

blueprint

also check out polymax by polymaker

are you in the usa? filastruder distributes the e3d nozzles here and have been very reasonable to deal with