Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

LowFatMom

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 2, 2017
Guys, just a little teaser before an official online shop is open - there is a new design option coming!

amazing ! I want that.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Wow I didn't expect to receive such an awesome response, thanks guys!

Looks awesome @Matt3D !!
What kind of monstruosity 3d printer is used? The results are suuper clean and the kind of brushing effect is a very nice touch!

Thank you! I'm using Zortrax M200 and M300 printers to print cases in two pieces. Brushing effect are actually layers of plastic, they look great on matte materials.

Now that's classy AF

Heh, I was wondering how to call that design. Problem solved XD

I would cream myself if an all-white version of that newer model was available!

There will be one for sure! I'm looking for a white acrylic panel which would match the tint of white printed material. Expect frosted acrylic glass as an optional material for side panels as well.

I'm interested too. Any plans for a case where the CPU and GPU face the same way?

That's actually a really easy change to make. 2-3 days of work and another 3 days to make a prototype to check if everything fits well. I think I'll just go for and release it as an option in a couple of weeks.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Have you considered a flex ATX option as well? Could sit next to the motherboard, opposite of the GPU/

I'll think about the layout because at this point I'm pretty much limited to the total length of the case which can't exceed 400mm. Nevertheless there is a huge demand for SFF cases with internal AC-DC solutions. There will be a version of xCase suitable for HP 300W AC-DC unit. I'm also planning to release the case with components placement similar to Dan's case in the near future.

Option for a 16mm switch over the 12mm?

Great idea!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There will be a version of xCase suitable for HP 300W AC-DC unit. I'm also planning to release the case with components placement similar to Dan's case in the near future.

This is all good news to hear. :thumb: Even in the Dan style case I may be tempted to use such a power supply so it's more in vein with the original Dan case prototype.

@dondan built that prototype in late 2013. Almost 4 year have passed, now we have a greater choice of small, fanless power supplies to choose from.

Signols

Chassis Packer
Aug 13, 2017
Was running around the site, very modern, very sleek and enjoyable to use. Though I feel that when you begin customizing the case, let's say you pick a blue bezel it would be nice if the picture updated to show what colour it will most likely turn out as. Just my $0.02.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'm really liking the prices you've got going on. Im sure lots of people will be attracted to that

Reactions: Matt3D

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The site looks professional and well laid out. I think it would be helpful also to show interior pictures of the case (empty) to see how everything is placed inside.

Reactions: Matt3D and Soul_Est

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Awesome case, and good price points.

I like your website, but it definitely needs pictures of the case interior and also pictures of assembled systems.

About the case:
I’d be interested in knowing why you picked a wider width and higher height, than comparable cases. (Not criticizing that, just curious)

Xcase s
350 x 200 x 70 (4.9L)

S4 Mini
330 x 215 x 63 (4.4L)

Custom_Mod slim
325 x 185 x 60 (3.6L)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Guys I'm finishing some official stuff before I'll start taking orders. In the meantime let me know what do you think about an early version of the website! http://modivio.com/
Excellent job on the website. While I am not a fan of such presentations due to the amount of JavaScript involved and space left unutilized, it looks and performed well on my computer in the latest version of Chromium. Viewed on my phone, the responsive design is welcome and some of the pictures are too large. Overall, well done.

Awesome case, and good price points.

I like your website, but it definitely needs pictures of the case interior and also pictures of assembled systems.

About the case:
I’d be interested in knowing why you picked a wider width and higher height, than comparable cases. (Not criticizing that, just curious)

Xcase s
350 x 200 x 70 (4.9L)

S4 Mini
330 x 215 x 63 (4.4L)

Custom_Mod slim
325 x 185 x 60 (3.6L)
The S4 Mini and Custom_Mod Slim are comprised of metal while the xCase is comprised of ABS plastic and acrylic.

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Was running around the site, very modern, very sleek and enjoyable to use. Though I feel that when you begin customizing the case, let's say you pick a blue bezel it would be nice if the picture updated to show what colour it will most likely turn out as. Just my $0.02.

I totally agree to that. It's one of the first things on my tasks list. It'll take quite a bit of time to render all the versions tho. 6 cases x 4 bezel colors x 5 panels colors x 20 minutes for each render equals 40 hours. More or less a week of work. Assuming that only one view will be customized.

The site looks professional and well laid out. I think it would be helpful also to show interior pictures of the case (empty) to see how everything is placed inside.

I'm on it :)

Pretty interesting...especially this LE version..;)

Where can i see it?

L and LE versions will be rolled out about a month after the other versions. Expect the layout similar to the Sentry case.

Will it have the option for G-Unique 8 pin power outlet?

If you have in mind the ultra slim type, the adapter for xCase is already made and I'll supply it with each unit. If not, just sent me the detailed dimensions between required mounting holes and I'll manufacture the correct adapter.

About the case:

Xcase s
350 x 200 x 70 (4.9L)

S4 Mini
330 x 215 x 63 (4.4L)

Custom_Mod slim
325 x 185 x 60 (3.6L)

First of all to ensure an optimal strength of 3D printed parts, walls of a bezel are 8mm thick on average. It takes a bit of space in comparison to metal sheet cases. Second of all one of my goals was to make the case future proof and compatible with as many components as possible. There might be some great graphics cards with slightly bigger coolers in the future. The same goes with PSUs, CPU coolers etc. Third of all I wanna differentiate from other projects as much as I can. We are a community and we shouldn't just copy other cases. I'm trying to target customers who know exactly what they want. People often adjust the components based on what will fit in a particular cases they like. To be frank I'm not a fan of making such compromises. That's why I propose a reversed approach. If you know that you want let's say Zotac 1080Ti mini, Cryorig C7 and an all internal PSU, you should be assured that you'll find the case that fits such components on my website.

Excellent job on the website. While I am not a fan of such presentations due to the amount of JavaScript involved and space left unutilized, it looks and performed well on my computer in the latest version of Chromium. Viewed on my phone, the responsive design is welcome and some of the pictures are too large. Overall, well done.

True, responsiveness has to be improved. I'll work on that for sure.

Andorski

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2016
Question about having the GPU oriented on the same side as the motherboard: Would the hard drive bracket then be on the bottom or do you have to sacrifice the bracket if we choose this orientation?

Reactions: Soul_Est and Matt3D