Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
can we request new colors for the next version? Silver or white version would be nice.

Also, If you could have Velka 5 size with SFX support, that would be amazing.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
can we request new colors for the next version? Silver or white version would be nice.

Also, If you could have Velka 5 size with SFX support, that would be amazing.
Sorry, but adding new colors is not feasible. The defect rate on parts colored something other than black is unpredictable and would cause too many issues with keeping cases and replacement parts in stock.

The Velka 7 is the smallest one that can fit an SFX power supply at 5.9 L. It's not possible to make a smaller case compatible with SFX PSUs without significantly reducing CPU and GPU cooler clearances.

Reactions: prebsus

DogTor

Case Bender
New User
Mar 23, 2021
Hello fellow SFF enthusiasts,

Anything new about EU distribution? (I think in a previous Update in Summer 2020 on velkacase homepage they talked about a Cooperation with Density)

I would Love to buy a Velka 5 + Power Support for my 3070 Fe and 5600x. But the shipping cost + import fees to europe are quite high.

Sorry if asked before, But is someone using a Velka 5 v2 with 3070 FE and can Tell me something about GPU Temps?

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019

Anything new about EU distribution? (I think in a previous Update in Summer 2020 on velkacase homepage they talked about a Cooperation with Density)

I would Love to buy a Velka 5 + Power Support for my 3070 Fe and 5600x. But the shipping cost + import fees to europe are quite high.

Sorry if asked before, But is someone using a Velka 5 v2 with 3070 FE and can Tell me something about GPU Temps?
Hello!

I am using a Velka 5 v2 with a 3070 (and a 5950X for reference).

GPU temperatures initially weren't very good since my cable management blocked some of the passthrough (basically there's a small amount of space between the bottom of the motherboard and PSU. GPU temperatures would max out at about 80 C (even with undervolting).

I, then, cable managed better to have that space entirely clear. Temps dropped to 76 C.

I then double sided a 40x10mm fan to exhaust further hot air, and temps now max to 74C and I'm satisfied.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018

Second that, would love a Velka 7, but having played the import fee gamble in the past, ordering from the US could be silly expensive.

DogTor

Case Bender
New User
Mar 23, 2021
Hello!

I am using a Velka 5 v2 with a 3070 (and a 5950X for reference).

GPU temperatures initially weren't very good since my cable management blocked some of the passthrough (basically there's a small amount of space between the bottom of the motherboard and PSU. GPU temperatures would max out at about 80 C (even with undervolting).

I, then, cable managed better to have that space entirely clear. Temps dropped to 76 C.

I then double sided a 40x10mm fan to exhaust further hot air, and temps now max to 74C and I'm satisfied.
Thank you for your quick response! :)

Sounds okay Temperature wise, so Maybe I give it a try.
But holy moly how are you cooling this beast of a CPU in such a small case?
I thought you can only fit a l9a inside which is sufficient for TDP up to 65 w.

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019
Thank you for your quick response! :)

Sounds okay Temperature wise, so Maybe I give it a try.
But holy moly how are you cooling this beast of a CPU in such a small case?
I thought you can only fit a l9a inside which is sufficient for TDP up to 65 w.
I am waiting for my metalfish Z39 to come, but honestly, even with a L9A, the 5950X in eco mode is still chilling at like 70C-75C when gaming so I am pretty okay. :)

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
I am waiting for my metalfish Z39 to come, but honestly, even with a L9A, the 5950X in eco mode is still chilling at like 70C-75C when gaming so I am pretty okay. :)
Just out of curiosity - have you checked the CPU power draw when gaming?
I'm making some wild and uneducated guesses here, but for L9A to keep it at 70-75C, it's probably running around 70W power draw (maybe even less?), which means it's performing just like a 5600X would. Have you tried CPU-intensive tasks to see whether it will throttle? Or whether you're getting better performance than say a properly cooled 5900X? (not trying to be an a-hole here, just genuinely curious on how high the performance hit on a 5950X is with the L9A)

Tofu240

Efficiency Noob
Mar 8, 2021
So.. about the pad mod - the procedure is actually simple, so I was really scared during the mod but not as scared as when I heard for the first time what it sounds like in that case with 3500 RPM at 106C. Even with undervolt it was unusable for me, too hot, too loud and so close to the mem self-destruct limit... So it's probably an easy decision for anyone who do some memory intensive things and/or plan run it non-stop for hours/days, like rendering/science things or just mining (data science things for me).

Just be sure that you have everything prepared - a few torx bits, one Philips, some sticky tape, IPA or ethanol alcohol to clean it all, a good thermal paste and some 3mm, 2mm and 0.5/1mm soft pads, and a sharp knife to cut pads. It's really important to pick soft pads, I would suggest Gelid pads right now, 1 pack of each thickness should be enough (80x40mm). The critical here is 2mm one for the front side, because of how soft those pads are, it could be easily compressed during the delivery, gaps on the front side are 1.5mm for memory 1.25mm for other places, so it could become unusable. I had to use 3mm in one little spot on the front side because of it, so better buy 2x2mm, 1x3mm, 1x0.5/1mm. Just relax and do it, also try to save old pads (I was able to do it) so in case of any problems with the gpu, you'll be able to reassemble it with old pads and use warranty, there's no stickers inside or anything like it.

Now about the temps - if I understand you correct, you ask about the first chart (green/black lines), where stock set up was able to keep the core cooler with lower RPM during first 2 minutes. I think the original thermal paste is actually ok, not the best, but at least average, original pads are extremely soft (even softer then Gelid) but with extremely bad thermal conductivity. So my guess here is - in the beginning you have a 1kg piece of cold metal that should be heated by both core and memory, but if you artificially reduce heat transfer from memory, you're getting more thermal capacity for the core itself. It will only work that way till the heat sink will reach some high temperature and mem reach about 100C. (On the pads thickness - I had that problem with Minus8 pads, not with the Gelid)

Actually I think that Nvidia put those bad thermal pads exactly for that purpose. For reviews you have open test bench, a ton of gaming, a bit of productivity test and no way to actually check mem temp (In HWINFO it became available 3 months after initial reviews), in that scenario you can make FE design look even better compared to other cards, it's smaller, looks cooler and the core runs almost as cool as on all other cards. It's easy to forget to tell everyone that that's because memory chips are in the agony
interesting, i just had the thermalright pads (1.5mm + 2mm) delivered today since Gelid was out of stock, but i might just wait since i've not seen any good write ups with those yet.

Last question, if i open up the card will I have to repaste it? Ive taken the cooler off of the CPU and slapped it back on without repasting and i've yet to break anything, however with the 3080 thermal pads being so finnicky im unsure if this is still the case here.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
interesting, i just had the thermalright pads (1.5mm + 2mm) delivered today since Gelid was out of stock, but i might just wait since i've not seen any good write ups with those yet.

Last question, if i open up the card will I have to repaste it? Ive taken the cooler off of the CPU and slapped it back on without repasting and i've yet to break anything, however with the 3080 thermal pads being so finnicky im unsure if this is still the case here.

No you don’t have to repaste if it’s still fine

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
Thank you, emailed them. Though guess many will be interested at the PSU who's interested in the cases, will post an update on it here when they answer. :)

Edit:
They did reply by saying yes, they will sell the power supplies too but not right away because of stock issues. So if you plan on it you can wait for it. They then went on to recommend alternatives.
I think I'll be able to wait a little more to get it with the ENP-7660B-VK PSU with shortened cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: DogTor

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020

hey, as I remember there were some success stories with thermalright pads and 3080FE posted somewhere on reddit, just search by '3080 FE pad mod'

if you plan to modify pads on the back side only - obviously no need to repast anything, on the front side - my suggestion would be to repaste. The original paste looks good actually, but it's really hard (at least with my card it was so), and if you reassemble it as is there may be a chance that it'll melt again under load and high temp and create an even layer.. But I'm pretty sceptical about it.

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020
Hey everyone, has anyone faced the problem of overheating of the PSU in Velka 7? (Probably)

I've checked theat thread and reddit and found nothing.

Here's what it looks like under some high continuous load on the CPU and / or GPU:
option 1 (fully assembled case) - reboot in 3-4 minutes for th gpu load, in 15-20 minutes for CPU load
- no BSOD, even if you unclick auto restart on BSOD, it still restarts
- no errors in event log in minutes prior to reboot, only notification that it crashed because of some critical problem with the power (event 41)
option 2 (without side and front panels) - crash, identical to option 1
option 3 (option 2 + change all the PSU cables) - crash, identical to option 1
option 4 (option 3 + extract psu from the case) - crashed in the same way, but after 65 (not 3-4) minutes with gpu load

PC details: SF750, 3080FE, 5900X, Gigabyte B550i
- total cpu + gpu power consumption is always under 350W (undervolt)
- temps are ok from all the sensors, like CPU 60, GPU 70, GPU mem 90, all other sensors from HWINFO between 40 and 60,
- RAM tested, no errors
- PSU fan is spinning under loads 350W+ loads and when it's getting hotter, so it's not broken in that way

My guess is a defective PSU, what do you think? (I've already wrote to Corsair, waiting for reply)

Thanks!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Hey everyone, has anyone faced the problem of overheating of the PSU in Velka 7? (Probably)

Here's what it looks like under some high continuous load on the CPU and / or GPU:
option 1 (fully assembled case) - reboot in 3-4 minutes for th gpu load, in 15-20 minutes for CPU load
- no errors in event log in minutes prior to reboot, only notification that it crashed because of some critical problem with the power (event 41)
option 4 (option 3 + extract psu from the case) - crashed in the same way, but after 65 (not 3-4) minutes with gpu load

- temps are ok from all the sensors, like CPU 60, GPU 70, GPU mem 90, all other sensors from HWINFO between 40 and 60,
- RAM tested, no errors
- PSU fan is spinning under loads 350W+ loads and when it's getting hotter, so it's not broken in that way

My guess is a defective PSU, what do you think? (I've already wrote to Corsair, waiting for reply)

Thanks!

Do you have a spare PSU you could test (just run the spare PSU externally and run the same test as the scenario and see if you still experience a crash). If the system still crash then it maybe a hardware issue.

If you don't have a spare PSU, try running your original PSU externally, and with a 120mm/92mm fan pointed directly at the intake and see if this has any effect on the crashing (either longer time until crash or not crashing at all)

Also, a bit of a long shot, see if your SF750 unit is part of the faulty batch that was recalled last year https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=197081

Reactions: anothersffuser

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020

- RAM tested, no errors

Thanks!

Defective PSU. I have a 3080 FE and SF600 and have my PSU flipped so the 3080 is dumping heat into the PSU directly. That’s basically unreasonable thermal load for the PSU and it still doesn’t fail/restart.

Given that, your PSU sounds bad for sure

Kuroneer

Efficiency Noob
Dec 10, 2020

- RAM tested, no errors

Thanks!
Aside of trying the other solutions that have been provided, consider updating/changing the BIOS, I had some random restarts with f13a (with -20 curve optimizer for 5600x, same board), which had not happened before that BIOS and I couldn't reproduce after updating. Be aware that Gigabyte BIOS that end in letters are beta, though. Running f13c with -25 at the moment.

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020
@duynguyenle, @labmonke101 thanks a lot for advises,
overall - i have no spare PSU or a fan to test additionaly, that one is not from the batch that was recalled last May. And a few hours ago Corsair said RMA.
So i'll update later (in 2 weeks probably) was it the PSU or not

@Kuroneer thanks, i've also had such problms with f13a/c, after update to f13e i had only one such restart, on cold PC with minor UV (-1 to -3) on first 2 cores on both chips. Anyway it was not the same issue (a proper error with BSOD). Actually it looks like (Reddit) it's a common problem with Zen3 and the good news here is that it's a software problem.
Hope a new PSU will be delivered by the theme Gigabyte releases final F13.

Last edited: