Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

kroken

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2019
@Tofu240, the gpu shift mod is relatively simple - you'll only need a drill driver, a file and a 3d printer for riser holder. Was able to move it by 24 mm and probably that's the maximum

This looks great! May i know your setup and temps?

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019
How do you cool the 5950?
Currently with a Noctua L9A at the moment. Hoping to get a Metalfish Z39 soon so I can blast the fan at higher RPM without the turbulence noise.

5950X is currently set to Eco-Mode and it runs fine for me. Once I get the Metalfish, going to bump it up to 100W in PPT and I'll be golden. 85% of the performance at much cooler temps.

Reactions: Sziklapeti

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Currently with a Noctua L9A at the moment. Hoping to get a Metalfish Z39 soon so I can blast the fan at higher RPM without the turbulence noise.

5950X is currently set to Eco-Mode and it runs fine for me. Once I get the Metalfish, going to bump it up to 100W in PPT and I'll be golden. 85% of the performance at much cooler temps.

Any reason for going with the Z39 instead of a Black Ridge? Haven't seen the Z39 before, so excuse my ignorance.

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019
Any reason for going with the Z39 instead of a Black Ridge? Haven't seen the Z39 before, so excuse my ignorance.
No problem!
Blackridge won't fit within the Velka 5's CPU cooler constraint of 37mm. Blackridge is 47mm in height. I know some people have bent it lower, but I think max 42mm.

vinnysausage

Case Bender
New User
Mar 19, 2021
I've been really looking to transferring my hardware from a nr200p to a velka 7. Been really on the fence because I don't know what cpu cooler to get for my cpu. Any suggestions? Also pretty worried on the temps on the 3080 fe, but judging by pictures, atleast the the flow through fan isn't completely blocked off when removing the 2.5 drive bays.

3900xt
asus strix x570i
3080fe

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019
I've been really looking to transferring my hardware from a nr200p to a velka 7. Been really on the fence because I don't know what cpu cooler to get for my cpu. Any suggestions? Also pretty worried on the temps on the 3080 fe, but judging by pictures, atleast the the flow through fan isn't completely blocked off when removing the 2.5 drive bays.

3900xt
asus strix x570i
3080fe
For Velka 7,
Your best option with minimal memory issues is Thermalright AXP-90 Full Copper.

Some people will argue BlackRidge is better, but you have to get LP memory for it to be good.

vinnysausage

Case Bender
New User
Mar 19, 2021
For Velka 7,
Your best option with minimal memory issues is Thermalright AXP-90 Full Copper.

Some people will argue BlackRidge is better, but you have to get LP memory for it to be good.
Sorry forgot to mention I have some Corsair lpx. For the BlackRidge to run a 120mm fan you need some vlp ram. I’m guessing that would be the most optimum set up for that cooler? Prices for vlp ram are expensive.

Btw for anyone that has the case, found DisplayPort 1.4 extension that can be used to replace the supplied 1.2. Of course I haven’t tried them but something to consider atleast.

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
Sorry forgot to mention I have some Corsair lpx. For the BlackRidge to run a 120mm fan you need some vlp ram. I’m guessing that would be the most optimum set up for that cooler? Prices for vlp ram are expensive.

Btw for anyone that has the case, found DisplayPort 1.4 extension that can be used to replace the supplied 1.2. Of course I haven’t tried them but something to consider atleast.

If you already have the lpx ram, then blackridge with the 92mm noctua fan-swap is probably the way to go. Haven't been able to find a side-by-side comparison with the AXP-90 Full Copper, but my impression is that the consensus in the SFF-community gives a slight edge to the BlackRidge

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020
This looks great! May i know your setup and temps?
GPU temps -
set up is
CPU - 5900x
GPU - 3080 FE
MB - Gigabyte B550i
RAM - 64GB HyperX Fury
SSD - 980 Pro
CPU cooler - Black Ridge + Noctua 92mm black fan + backplate from a Noctua kit

Regarding CPU temps etc:
- Undervolt to (0,0,0,15,15,15, 10,10,15,15,15,15)
- PPT 100, TDC 95, EDC 125
- Fan speed under load (CB23) 60%
- Temp - 75-80
- CB23 (Multicore) Current - 18.5K
- CB23 (Multicore) Score stock with 100% fan - 20.5K

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
If you already have the lpx ram, then blackridge with the 92mm noctua fan-swap is probably the way to go. Haven't been able to find a side-by-side comparison with the AXP-90 Full Copper, but my impression is that the consensus in the SFF-community gives a slight edge to the BlackRidge

gonna add on here that blackridge will avoid bad turbulence

Reactions: wewe

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020

3900xt
asus strix x570i
3080fe
have you thought about flipping the PSU? I was considering that since I have a 3080 FE on the way but not sure if it'll fry my PSU

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019

I know Michael mentioned that the internal extensions are 1.2, but mine is showing as full 1.4. I ordered just a few weeks ago, so maybe things are fixed now.

I am running a 3840 x 1600 resolution at the full 144Hz which can't be run on Displayport 1.2. I guess mileage may vary.

gonna add on here that blackridge will avoid bad turbulence
Yes! It is the major benefit of Blackridge for Velka 7 and Metalfish Z39 for the Velka 3/5. Turbelence can be a bit high if fans run higher speeds.

I did some testing back in the day when I was still (probably still am) indecisive about my case choices.

If using the same 92mm Noctua fan, AXP 90 runs cooler than Blackridge.
If using a 120mm noctua fan, blackridge runs better than AXP 90 by like 1-2C.

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
I did some testing back in the day when I was still (probably still am) indecisive about my case choices.

If using the same 92mm Noctua fan, AXP 90 runs cooler than Blackridge.
If using a 120mm noctua fan, blackridge runs better than AXP 90 by like 1-2C.
This is interesting! I assume that was with the 92mm noctua fan as intake? Either way, that is a good detail to add here, as I'm assuming the trade-off is then better thermals with more turbulence (louder) vs. worse thermals but few/no turbulence issues (AXP 90 vs BR). If that makes sense?

CPU matters a lot here as well, of course - I'm running a 5600X and I feel the BR with 92mm noctua is plenty of cooling for that chip, so it's all up to what you've got to work with...

Tofu240

Efficiency Noob
Mar 8, 2021
GPU temps -
set up is
CPU - 5900x
GPU - 3080 FE
MB - Gigabyte B550i
RAM - 64GB HyperX Fury
SSD - 980 Pro
CPU cooler - Black Ridge + Noctua 92mm black fan + backplate from a Noctua kit

Regarding CPU temps etc:
- Undervolt to (0,0,0,15,15,15, 10,10,15,15,15,15)
- PPT 100, TDC 95, EDC 125
- Fan speed under load (CB23) 60%
- Temp - 75-80
- CB23 (Multicore) Current - 18.5K
- CB23 (Multicore) Score stock with 100% fan - 20.5K
Would you recommend doing this thermal pad swap for a relative beginner? Im not a fan of seeing Mem Junction rocket to 100+ whenever im rendering. Also I noticed your Core Temp is hotter than the repaste. is this due to thermal pad thickness inconsistencies with stock?

Thanks in advance.

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020
Would you recommend doing this thermal pad swap for a relative beginner? Im not a fan of seeing Mem Junction rocket to 100+ whenever im rendering. Also I noticed your Core Temp is hotter than the repaste. is this due to thermal pad thickness inconsistencies with stock?

Thanks in advance.
So.. about the pad mod - the procedure is actually simple, so I was really scared during the mod but not as scared as when I heard for the first time what it sounds like in that case with 3500 RPM at 106C. Even with undervolt it was unusable for me, too hot, too loud and so close to the mem self-destruct limit... So it's probably an easy decision for anyone who do some memory intensive things and/or plan run it non-stop for hours/days, like rendering/science things or just mining (data science things for me).

Just be sure that you have everything prepared - a few torx bits, one Philips, some sticky tape, IPA or ethanol alcohol to clean it all, a good thermal paste and some 3mm, 2mm and 0.5/1mm soft pads, and a sharp knife to cut pads. It's really important to pick soft pads, I would suggest Gelid pads right now, 1 pack of each thickness should be enough (80x40mm). The critical here is 2mm one for the front side, because of how soft those pads are, it could be easily compressed during the delivery, gaps on the front side are 1.5mm for memory 1.25mm for other places, so it could become unusable. I had to use 3mm in one little spot on the front side because of it, so better buy 2x2mm, 1x3mm, 1x0.5/1mm. Just relax and do it, also try to save old pads (I was able to do it) so in case of any problems with the gpu, you'll be able to reassemble it with old pads and use warranty, there's no stickers inside or anything like it.

Now about the temps - if I understand you correct, you ask about the first chart (green/black lines), where stock set up was able to keep the core cooler with lower RPM during first 2 minutes. I think the original thermal paste is actually ok, not the best, but at least average, original pads are extremely soft (even softer then Gelid) but with extremely bad thermal conductivity. So my guess here is - in the beginning you have a 1kg piece of cold metal that should be heated by both core and memory, but if you artificially reduce heat transfer from memory, you're getting more thermal capacity for the core itself. It will only work that way till the heat sink will reach some high temperature and mem reach about 100C. (On the pads thickness - I had that problem with Minus8 pads, not with the Gelid)

Actually I think that Nvidia put those bad thermal pads exactly for that purpose. For reviews you have open test bench, a ton of gaming, a bit of productivity test and no way to actually check mem temp (In HWINFO it became available 3 months after initial reviews), in that scenario you can make FE design look even better compared to other cards, it's smaller, looks cooler and the core runs almost as cool as on all other cards. It's easy to forget to tell everyone that that's because memory chips are in the agony

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofu240 and NAVIAR