Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm looking for some feedback on this idea

For those who would prefer having direct access to the graphics card IO in the Velka 5 and 7 without the use of HDMI and DP extension cables, another design could be used for the main body of the case with a rectangular cutout on top above the graphics card. This can be backwards compatible with the current design but require re-assembly.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020

For those who would prefer having direct access to the graphics card IO in the Velka 5 and 7 without the use of HDMI and DP extension cables, another design could be used for the main body of the case with a rectangular cutout on top above the graphics card. This can be backwards compatible with the current design but require re-assembly.

Wow, that's great! Personally, I wouldn't mind cables sticking up on the top of the case, especially when it adds more GPU compatibility!

Reactions: evenather

evenather

Chassis Packer
Oct 6, 2019

I personally like this approach better

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Wow, that's great! Personally, I wouldn't mind cables sticking up on the top of the case, especially when it adds more GPU compatibility!
To clarify, this would only add to the IO port compatibility. Graphics card clearances would stay the same, otherwise there would be visible screw holes and protrusions at the top

Kuroneer

Efficiency Noob
Dec 10, 2020
I was going to suggest having compatibility with both approaches by maintaining the rear extension cables cutout and providing some way to cover the top cutout, but then I realized that maybe the people that like one approach are going to stick with it

jace98

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 6, 2020
So with the removal of the top 80mm fans on the Velka 3 v2, I started to see if perhaps 40mm fans would fit. Turns out 3 NF-A4X20mm fans just so happen to kind of fit. I fastened the fans by way of the nuts provided by Michael and used the screw from my nh-l9a for the 25mm fan. I also used zip ties to connect the fans into a straight line as seen below. Here is the placement:

The issue that comes up is with the back connection of MB plate, where the 3rd fan cannot be placed flush like the other and be retained by a nut and bolt. There is a slight piece of metal which protrudes and blocks easy installation of the fans and MB plate to the external case, so I cannot fasten it. Issue seen below:

I was wondering if cutting of that slight piece would have an damaging effects on the cases structural integrity or not @micheal? If not I might try to just do that.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
So with the removal of the top 80mm fans on the Velka 3 v2, I started to see if perhaps 40mm fans would fit. Turns out 3 NF-A4X20mm fans just so happen to kind of fit. I fastened the fans by way of the nuts provided by Michael and used the screw from my nh-l9a for the 25mm fan. I also used zip ties to connect the fans into a straight line as seen below. Here is the placement:

The issue that comes up is with the back connection of MB plate, where the 3rd fan cannot be placed flush like the other and be retained by a nut and bolt. There is a slight piece of metal which protrudes and blocks easy installation of the fans and MB plate to the external case, so I cannot fasten it. Issue seen below:

I was wondering if cutting of that slight piece would have an damaging effects on the cases structural integrity or not @micheal? If not I might try to just do that.

Nice find. You can cut that piece without affecting structural integrity, just paint over the cut edge to prevent rusting in the long term after you do so. Please do keep in mind that replacement motherboard trays might not be available.

Reactions: jace98

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015

What about having the GPU IO on the same side as the MB IO? Honestly I would love a case like that, with enough room for a 2.5 SSD, 3.5 HDD & a slim ODD.Be better then this big RVZ2 sitting flat on my desk. Plus cases with front PSUs are a bit odd.

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
What about having the GPU IO on the same side as the MB IO? Honestly I would love a case like that, with enough room for a 2.5 SSD, 3.5 HDD & a slim ODD.Be better then this big RVZ2 sitting flat on my desk. Plus cases with front PSUs are a bit odd.
You are either compromising on GPU length (like velka 3) or you have to change the whole layout for that. (something like Dan A4)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Having graphics IO on the same side might be possible with an ITX length graphics card around 170 mm, but anything more than that would require a completely different case with new components like the AC cord extension, new layout, new structure, etc.

Basically what I am suggesting is an extra backward-compatible part that keeps the main selling points of the Velka 5 and 7, but gives an extra option on how to approach graphics IO.

iostream

Cable Smoosher
Jan 3, 2021

How much thermal improvement do you see? Looks interesting!

velka5simp

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2020
Dude, you're asking for a COMPLETELY different case that has nothing to do with the Velkase cases...

GPU IO next to mobo IO require the Dan A4 SFX layout (so horizontal layout or vertical with all IO on top).
Then the 3.5inch HDD. That is just going to make the case much bigger or the GPU much shorter.
And a slim ODD: Again, making the case bigger and providing enough airflow from the outside more difficult.

Reactions: Skarum

iostream

Cable Smoosher
Jan 3, 2021
Here's an suggestion: What if the Velka 3-RL was slightly taller to accommodate a dual slot, half-height graphics card (i.e. no riser)? I think it would be a nice solution for users who would like extra cooling height for the CPU but still want some sort of graphics solution that isn't an APU (which are hard to come by and seem to not be a very large focus at AMD these days). Existing cases of this type, like the Lone L5 and the J-Hack Pure Mk2, require a power brick, which stinks. With this layout, we could use Flex ATX instead and have a nice self-contained solution.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Here's an suggestion: What if the Velka 3-RL was slightly taller to accommodate a dual slot, half-height graphics card (i.e. no riser)? I think it would be a nice solution for users who would like extra cooling height for the CPU but still want some sort of graphics solution that isn't an APU (which are hard to come by and seem to not be a very large focus at AMD these days). Existing cases of this type, like the Lone L5 and the J-Hack Pure Mk2, require a power brick, which stinks. With this layout, we could use Flex ATX instead and have a nice self-contained solution.

It will take a while but I think it can be done.

Reactions: iostream

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020

Instabuy for me, removes the additional complexity/uncertainty/hassle of those internal extensions

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Has anyone checked temps for with/without IO shield? The case is pretty ventilated as is but wondered if it made a big difference

iostream

Cable Smoosher
Jan 3, 2021
It will take a while but I think it can be done.
I would certainly be first in line to buy one! Really think that that layout would fill a niche that is somewhat neglected in the uSFF space : a simple, no-fuss case for users with minimal GPU requirements. Everything else in the < 5L space requires some combination of weird motherboard form factors, ultra short coolers, risers, external bricks, weird PSU setups, etc. I imagine that if the 3-RL had this capability, it would become the case of choice for these sort of no-gaming/light-gaming builds because of how dead simple the whole build process would be. You wouldn't even need an aftermarket CPU cooler!