Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

fahrezialwi

Case Bender
New User
Oct 1, 2020
I received my Velka 7 a few days ago. I didn't bother checking since it'll be a while to get all my parts, but after reading your post i checked. I do have everything, rubber feeting and power switch as well.

The transparent plastic bag (left) is the one that missed in my box. Also, I am experiencing the same issue on 24-pin power connector that not fit with the front panel. I use Asus B550i Strix motherboard.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Just got my Velka 7 yesterday, but I'm disappointed because there is no illuminated power switch and rubber feet in the box. I already contact @VELKASE Michael via email but no response. The picture below is what I got in the box. For anyone who has Velka 7, what else items are not in the box?

Please allow at least 24 hours to reply on the weekend

Cool, just to confirm, are the connectors the same as the one's on the stock silver 7660b (2x 6+2 pin VGA, 1x 4+4 pin EPS, 4x SATA, 3x MOLEX, 1x 20+4 pin connectors) or are they as alluded to on the Velka 3 page (2x 8 pin VGA, 1x 8 pin EPS, 2x SATA, 1x 24 pin connectors)?

For the black power supply, they will actually be the ones listed on the Velka 3 product page under the big wall of text. The difference is that on the black one there are only two SATA connectors, no peripheral/ molex or floppy, and the rest have different cable lengths. All except for the EPS cable are shorter.

Also, with the black PSU, the AC power cord will no longer be included

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@VELKASE Michael

Great, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm on the mailing list, so I will keep an eye out for when it's avaliable. The lack of AC power cord doesn't bother me. I live in Scotland so I can just use one of the native plugs I've got around.

Wootyz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 25, 2020
Would de-shrouding the 3080 help with clearance?

I was actually planning to de-shroud it, take some measurements, and test if it is possible. I do happen to have a single Noctua NF-A9x14 that I previously tested with my old mini-1060 de-shrouded. If I find the time to test it out this week I will give an update. Since there isn't much info currently online about de-shrouding this particular card, I am still hesitant about committing to buying 2 more 90mm fans (if my 90mm fan even fits with the panel on).

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
3070 PCB looks feasible to fit into a Velka 3, anyone has any ideas for a Velka 3 heatsink solution that is more elegant than sawing off the overhang of the reference cooler? The mounting holes look different than RTX 2xxx series.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
3070 PCB looks feasible to fit into a Velka 3, anyone has any ideas for a Velka 3 heatsink solution that is more elegant than sawing off the overhang of the reference cooler? The mounting holes look different than RTX 2xxx series.
You can't saw the end of the heatsink off though as it will completely nullify the heatpipe effectiveness and result in the card overheating.

There may be ITX cards coming, but by no means should you saw off the end of the reference cooler.

KidWeaBoo

Average Stuffer
Dec 12, 2018

Wootyz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 25, 2020
I wonder if the black version of this card will fit better since there's no backplate?

The backplate is actually already removed, you can see the tight fit in the image taken of the front:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/5ZOT1jq" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/5ZOT1jq">Custom sleeved cables for Velka 7</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
Just been reading the first posts. A question if I may about the next batch of velka 3 cases; will still be hexagonal cutout? I think it looks way better than the rounded ones. So I think I will preorder one now so I can have a hexagonal if it will still be the 2.0 rev. The rest, feet, psu vent, +2 80mm fans, lighter construction etc are not of concern for me just visually I love the hexagonal better. :)

Also do you think the strix B460 board would fit with it's slightly overhanging heatsink in the Velka 3?

Last edited:

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Here's my EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra inside my Velka 7.
[...]

As many of you know, the card is 2.2 slots and I did manage to fit it inside. However, I was forced to use the 2mm-4mm screw settings for the GPU panel, or else the fans will interfere with the panel and not spin.

I recently made a Reddit post with pictures and other details here

You said you had to use the experimental 2-4mm offset setting to get the EVGA card to fit. I noticed in the last photo (view from top) that the side panel gap doesn't appear to be uniform across front to back. Is there no offset holes on the case back panel, leaving this non-uniform gap? @VELKASE Michael is this the issue for which the manual states that adhesive rubber feet may be used to keep the panels straight?

Michael, since I have your attention: I would like to purchase the Velka 7 but the compatibility with upcoming graphics cards concerns me. The prevalence of 2.2-2.5 slot cards seems like the new standard and the likelihood of more ITX style cards less so. I know you mentioned that any change in volume of this case would be to accommodate taller CPU coolers but I'd like you to consider the GPU issue as well. Just some past and potential future customer feedback.

Wootyz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 25, 2020
You said you had to use the experimental 2-4mm offset setting to get the EVGA card to fit. I noticed in the last photo (view from top) that the side panel gap doesn't appear to be uniform across front to back. Is there no offset holes on the case back panel, leaving this non-uniform gap? @VELKASE Michael is this the issue for which the manual states that adhesive rubber feet may be used to keep the panels straight?

In that particular image, I was experimenting with the offsets and had 2 mm in the front and 4 mm in the back, which caused the non-uniform appearance. I have already adjusted it to now be 4mm offset front and 4mm offset back to make it uniform.

I was actually planning to de-shroud it, take some measurements, and test if it is possible. I do happen to have a single Noctua NF-A9x14 that I previously tested with my old mini-1060 de-shrouded. If I find the time to test it out this week I will give an update. Since there isn't much info currently online about de-shrouding this particular card, I am still hesitant about committing to buying 2 more 90mm fans (if my 90mm fan even fits with the panel on).

I now have a follow-up for seeing if deshrouding helps the spacing, and the conclusion that attempting to deshroud this particular card is impossible unless you want to cut off the metal screw joints from the shroud.

And even if you got fans to fit, it is still a few mm too deep to stay under 2 slots, resulting in a non-flat panel.

My 4-pin pwm gpu adapter also isn't compatible with this particular card, so I wasn't even able to test if the fan is able to spin. But at least for my needs I don't see it being worth investigating further. I posted some other details with the images here.

Mamilias

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 2, 2020
Hello guys, i am new here and planning now my build on a Velka 7, i already received the case but waiting for 3080's availability and Zen3...
@Wootyz i saw your temps where higher than @StonedTablet 's 3080FE on Velka 5v1, wondering how will be the thermals of the FE in Velka 7 . Anyone tried it yet?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
In light of the recent email, what is everyone’s thoughts? Is this a deal breaker?

My main question is can I use the HDMI 2.0 and be mostly ok? Or if I get a high end monitor (344x1440, 165hz, HDR, Gsync, etc) am I going to be completely missing out?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
In light of the recent email, what is everyone’s thoughts? Is this a deal breaker?

My main question is can I use the HDMI 2.0 and be mostly ok? Or if I get a high end monitor (344x1440, 165hz, HDR, Gsync, etc) am I going to be completely missing out?

I think you should be using DisplayPort 1.4, based on the Wikipedia page on the HDMI 2.0 spec, the maximum refresh rate at 2560x1440 is 144Hz (no sub-sampling), so with a 3440x1440 monitor, max refresh rate will be less than 144Hz. This is without HDR, if you want HDR on, max refresh rate drops to 100Hz (again, at 2560x1440, so for an ultrawide it will be lower). No matter which way you slice it, if you are able to use DisplayPort, go with that option instead.