Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
I think you should be using DisplayPort 1.4, based on the Wikipedia page on the HDMI 2.0 spec, the maximum refresh rate at 2560x1440 is 144Hz (no sub-sampling), so with a 3440x1440 monitor, max refresh rate will be less than 144Hz. This is without HDR, if you want HDR on, max refresh rate drops to 100Hz (again, at 2560x1440, so for an ultrawide it will be lower). No matter which way you slice it, if you are able to use DisplayPort, go with that option instead.

Sorry I should’ve mentioned the email contents. I got an email from Michael stating that the display port extensions are actually only display port 1.2 and cannot be upgraded by the supplier, so he will instead be offering refunds.

In light of this I’m considering just swapping to a DanA4. No more extension cable hassle and ultra special pcie riser.

This was pretty much my biggest worry but I thought I’d be ok with DP 1.4. Unless maybe he knows of an HDMI 2.1 extensions we can buy now?

evenather

Chassis Packer
Oct 6, 2019
Hey guys, quick request: at some point I saw a post for a 3d printed shroud for C7 on a velka 5 (vanilla). I can’t find it anymore, if you find it please pm me. Thanks

nnyath

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2020
Interestingly enough, I received 2 DP cables for my Velka 7 with different revisions, DP4T 1.0 and DP4T 1.2. Did a cursory search, but kinda hard to find info about these cables. The official ADT page specs mention that it supports DP1.2 (presumably up to 21.6GBPs aka 4K@60hz), but those models are denoted as P2A-P4T so I'm not sure if the specs are for an older revision. There are also PDFs on the official page you can download that allow you to view the 3D model of the cables but those file names do not include the "A" suffix.

The AliExpress/Amazon links also use this naming convention (P2-P4T without the "A") and both of those spec pages list it as DP1.4 compatible (up to 32.4GBPs aka 8K@60hz). The AliExpress spec notes that cables below 1m can do up to full speed DP1.4, otherwise anything longer than 1m will most likely only go up to 25.92Gbps. If I measured the cables I received correctly, the 2 DP cables are both 0.2m, so well below the 1m mark. The HDMI cable is a bit longer at 0.3m.

From the email, it seems like Michael is not able to procure cables that are guaranteed to do DP1.4 citing the cables did not match the advertised spec. Whether or not that's the manufacturer's cables not being capable or if he's unable to order a new batch (cost or availability) and ship them out, I'm not sure. So if you purchase replacement cables from elsewhere, you might be rolling the dice. I only have a 3440x1440@75hz monitor, so I don't think I can verify the full speeds for either of the cables I received.

Seems like this release cycle was a bit rough around the edges unfortunately between GPU riser bending (though intentional by design), front panel compatibility, and now this cable issue. I'll be keeping my case, and while it's good to see full refunds and replacement front panels being offered, it is still a bit disappointing (I'm sure for Michael as well) considering the price of the case.

Reactions: wewe and Clarvel

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
ADT-Link which is the manufacturer for the DisplayPort extension cables used in the Velka 5 and 7 has retroactively changed their specification. Due to this unexpected action,

1) I cannot guarantee that all of the cables that have already been shipped will work at DP 1.4 speeds, although some will. At the very least, they will work at DP 1.2 speeds which are enough for 2160p@60Hz and 1440@144Hz.

2) For now, the specification of the DisplayPort extensions used in the Velka 5 and 7 will be changed to a more conservative DP 1.2.

nnyath

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2020
lol. im thinking of trying these too thats why i asked actually

@Wahaha360 on current 4.0 risers being kinda dicey right now
Someone correct if I'm wrong, but 4.0 is only a few percent difference at most on the 3080. There's some speculation that AMD SAM might require 4.0, but nothing concrete yet.

Current offerings also cost a pretty penny so I'm a bit nervous when it comes time to do riser origami.

I hear the 3M 4.0 risers are high quality (I think they're the best currently available)

Louqe Cobalt risers don't seem readily available on their own

There's probably a few other options if someone else wants to link them.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
You’re right on the performance aspect, but those other cables also seems thinner and easier to bend.

The major thing for me is finding higher spec video extensions cables

Wenzell

Cable Smoosher
Aug 3, 2020
@Wahaha360 on current 4.0 risers being kinda dicey right now
Someone correct if I'm wrong, but 4.0 is only a few percent difference at most on the 3080. There's some speculation that AMD SAM might require 4.0, but nothing concrete yet.

Current offerings also cost a pretty penny so I'm a bit nervous when it comes time to do riser origami.

I hear the 3M 4.0 risers are high quality (I think they're the best currently available)

Louqe Cobalt risers don't seem readily available on their own

There's probably a few other options if someone else wants to link them.

Yes you are right. For me the main consideration is AMDs SAM. Will wait for reviews to see if it is worth it. Its for advance knowledge so I know what to buy if it makes sense to

ugisp

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 11, 2020
Hi, i'm interested in Velka 5, but with shipping and tax it does not make any sense in EU. Is there any other ways to acquire Velkase cases in EU?

Reactions: Sziklapeti

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Just a random note:

I’m running a 160hz 3440x1440 monitor and it seems to be working just fine over DisplayPort, so maybe those extensions are ok after all

At least with mine, Daisy chain 4K60Hz no longer works. huge bummer for me. Hoping that ADT will offer some information about 1.4 cables, but so far my requests to them have gone unanswered.

Anyone get a response about returns? I'm sure Michael is inundated with emails regarding this.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi, i'm interested in Velka 5, but with shipping and tax it does not make any sense in EU. Is there any other ways to acquire Velkase cases in EU?

There currently is not but there might be a distribution channel for some models local to the EU in 2021. No firm timeline, around January at the earliest.

Not sure why there is a 5mm thick front panel?

It keeps the appearance neater and ensures that the front panel has a solid feel even when it is detached from the rest of the case. These were important considerations for revision 2.0 because the previous revisions had many exterior screws that stood out and individual case parts sometimes felt flimsy when the case was disassembled. If the front panel were 3 mm or thinner, it would need screws on the front face to keep it secure.

Reactions: Sziklapeti