Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Throw in the 80mm fan support again while you're at it ;)

I know I will be getting these for my vk 3 1.2

It is unlikely these cases will get 80 mm fan support because implementing that would require a size increase and some structural integrity compromises. The motherboard tray would have to mount to the side of the frame with long standoffs as it did in the rev 1 cases.

I'd like to see vents on the front left side to allow gpu to exhaust hot air better.

This might happen in the form of a separate vented front panel, just not on 5 mm aluminum because it is too thick. If you (and also others) have more specific appearance/ design suggestions for such a panel then please feel free to share. It could be a flat panel with one screw in each corner.

j4dx

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
This might happen in the form of a separate vented front panel, just not on 5 mm aluminum because it is too thick. If you (and also others) have more specific appearance/ design suggestions for such a panel then please feel free to share. It could be a flat panel with one screw in each corner.

How about open vertical slits on both sides of the front panel instead of a mesh? That way it would keep the original aesthetic.

Could also consider the same thing for the bottom panel.

Blake1206

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2020
Any updates about another run of the original Velka 3? If so, how long do you think it would be before orders went live? Thanks!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael with the Velka7 - is there anyway of removing the drive cage structure to allow for mounting of an SFX-L PSU? I use a nightjar nj450 at the moment with cables made by PSlate that are the perfect length.

It's hard to tell from the photos what the impact of just cutting the SSD mount back would be, thought I'd ask.

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
Will the flex power supply be available separately too, at $100? I need a couple units and am ok with the regular silver model, as my cases side panels mostly hide the hardware. Thank you

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
How about open vertical slits on both sides of the front panel instead of a mesh? That way it would keep the original aesthetic.

Could also consider the same thing for the bottom panel.

I will try a few slit designs. My only concern is that all Flex ATX power supplies have non-braided cables which pass through the area behind the front panel, so the slits would have to be under 2 mm wide or something else would need to be done to prevent the wires from going through the slits.

Any updates about another run of the original Velka 3? If so, how long do you think it would be before orders went live? Thanks!

The original Velka 3 will no longer be produced. Getting another batch ready would take too long and I don't think that there will be enough interest in it by the time it is ready.

@VELKASE Michael with the Velka7 - is there anyway of removing the drive cage structure to allow for mounting of an SFX-L PSU? I use a nightjar nj450 at the moment with cables made by PSlate that are the perfect length.

It's hard to tell from the photos what the impact of just cutting the SSD mount back would be, thought I'd ask.

That drive cage structure can be removed, but it will no longer secure the middle motherboard tray in its fourth corner. If you do not move the case and are careful with assembly, this might be fine. If you do move the case around, there is a possibility of that corner of the tray shifting enough to misalign the graphics card and cause it to touch the side panel.

Will the flex power supply be available separately too, at $100? I need a couple units and am ok with the regular silver model, as my cases side panels mostly hide the hardware. Thank you

They will be available separately for $140 + shipping

Reactions: Tazpr

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
That drive cage structure can be removed, but it will no longer secure the middle motherboard tray in its fourth corner. If you do not move the case and are careful with assembly, this might be fine. If you do move the case around, there is a possibility of that corner of the tray shifting enough to misalign the graphics card and

Hmmm, I might just buy a 700w SFX Unit and sell the Nightjar.

j4dx

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
I will try a few slit designs. My only concern is that all Flex ATX power supplies have non-braided cables which pass through the area behind the front panel, so the slits would have to be under 2 mm wide or something else would need to be done to prevent the wires from going through the slits.

Not sure how the cables could go through the slits unless they're untied? Either way 2 to 3mm wide should be plenty of width to allow air to go through while keeping subtle aesthetics. Also if the slits reduce structural integrity you could go with something like option 2 or 3.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
On the Velka 7 do the rear Displayport adapters support 1.4 or 1.2?

Bottom of the product page, 1.4

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
Have you done any thermal testing using similar gear and comparing between the different models? Im wondering about thermal performance in the new Velka 3 given that a PSU will be covering a large part of the top venting. With the PSU on the bottom and the top vents fully open, it seems the Velka 5 may have the best passive cooling of the two.

j4dx

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
How do you envision that working with the chamfered edges on the front panel?

Obviously it's hard to figure out without seeing the details of the case, @VELKASE Michael will have to figure out what works best. But from looking at photos the chamfered edge doesn't need to be tampered with, only the front panel does. Or am I missing something?

daedos

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2016
Not sure how the cables could go through the slits unless they're untied? Either way 2 to 3mm wide should be plenty of width to allow air to go through while keeping subtle aesthetics. Also if the slits reduce structural integrity you could go with something like option 2 or 3.

They sound too thin to make a real difference. I thought the ZS-A4M got it right in this respect, though interestingly V2 did away with it. Plus maybe it depends on how the fins are orientated on a GPU heatsink - effective for horizontal fins, not for vertical. Testing a few combinations is the only answer.

Reactions: renecop545 and wewe

ShadyShoals

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2020

Bottom of the product page, 1.4

Thanks a bunch! Can't believe I missed it.

Aarav

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2020
In the velka 7 the pcie extension cable is blocking the reario of the graphics card and as some of the heat from the graphics card gets exhausted from that side will the thermal performance be affected if yes, by how much

VeeTeeF

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
It is unlikely these cases will get 80 mm fan support because implementing that would require a size increase and some structural integrity compromises. The motherboard tray would have to mount to the side of the frame with long standoffs as it did in the rev 1 cases.

I'd like this as an option. I'm concerned about temps since the only ventilation is through the top of the case. The H1 is fully rear vented and it still has heat issues.