Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
The Asetek 645LT will not fit because of the Rad + fan setup exceeds the thickness clearance of 43mm (same GPU clearance between Velka 5 v1.1 and Velka 7)

But 1 guy has fitted a 120 AIO in the Velka 5 v1.1 so it is doable

That is interesting at least.

I currently have a 4790k, which I was hoping to keep until it simply isn't enough, the problem being that the only CPU cooler this supports that could handle it is the Alpenfohn Blackridge, which I know has some compatibility issues. It might be that the best move is simply to move to a newer CPU with a 65W TDP and use the L9i instead. I'm not sure what else there is that is small, in a tower orientation and capable of cooling something like a 4790k unfortunately.

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
@VELKASE Michael when can we expect a preorder form on the website to be active?
Also what you think about the rumored 3080 design pictures and compatibility with Velka 5 & 7

EDIT: By knowing the size of the PCI-E slot i determinate the length of this "prototype" to be 28.5 cm. long! RIP Velka 5 2.0 owners...

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael when can we expect a preorder form on the website to be active?
Also what you think about the rumored 3080 design pictures and compatibility with Velka 5 & 7

EDIT: By knowing the size of the PCI-E slot i determinate the length of this "prototype" to be 28.5 cm. long! RIP Velka 5 2.0 owners...

At the moment, I can only suggest checking back next week because I don't have enough information to decide how to go about orders.

As for the rumored RTX 3080 design, I think it looks very unconventional and unnecessarily difficult to manufacture. This is supposedly one of several suggested designs and if Nvidia decides to go in this radically new direction with the cooler design, the high end (RTX 3080 and up) reference models will cause compatibility issues with most SFF cases. However, this leak doesn't say anything about the board partner's designs nor the reference designs for RTX 3070 cards and below.
Some questions please:

- will it be possible to order a velka 3-RL and a velka 7 simultaneously when the July batch come? or should I order a velka 3-RL now and possibly delay the shipping to pay delivery only once? (to S.Korea if possible?)

- for the velka 7: the website says for GPUs 'Must be within one of the following overall dimensions: 289 x 43 x 135 mm (L x W x H) 289 x 40 x 140 mm (L x W x H) 262 x 40 x 145 mm (L x W x H)' does it HAS to be those specs? does something smaller works e.g. 230x40x125 (https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-rx-580-8g-g5)?

Thanks.

-They can be ordered at the same time. Since you're in South Korea, it would be more efficient to ship them together as well.

-when it says, "must be within", it just means that it needs to fit within those dimensions because that is the maximum space available. A smaller card will work.
The Sapphire Pulse RX 580 should fit, but it will be a very tight fit. It looks like the manufacturer is excluding the backplate from the thickness measurement, so it looks to be about 43 mm thick instead of 40 mm. Do you already have this card, and is the backplate removable?

@AseDen Would you kindly provide the dimensions of the CPU block and radiator of the 645LT?

Reactions: AseDen and dnpp123

dnpp123

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
-when it says, "must be within", it just means that it needs to fit within those dimensions because that is the maximum space available. A smaller card will work.
The Sapphire Pulse RX 580 should fit, but it will be a very tight fit. It looks like the manufacturer is excluding the backplate from the thickness measurement, so it looks to be about 43 mm thick instead of 40 mm. Do you already have this card, and is the backplate removable?

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have this card, it's just easy to get it here cheap from all the PC Rooms going bust ?

There's a PowerColor at 38mm (255x143x38 https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1496737702#spe) do you reckon it'd be better? Why in the case specs there is some max thickness at 43mm, others at 40mm?
Other possibilities are Gigabyte (H=40 L=232 W=116 mm https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#kf ), XFX ( 270x124x40 https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/amd-radeon-tm-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-4gb-3).

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
the new velka design is a definite downgrade in nearly everything except aesthetics. just ordered a cheap chinese knock-off. just my view.

Can you elaborate? I am considering producing the original design in a small quantity in parallel with the new one, so if you could share what changes you would have liked to see instead, that would be helpful.

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
Can you elaborate? I am considering producing the original design in a small quantity in parallel with the new one, so if you could share what changes you would have liked to see instead, that would be helpful.

I would also like to buy the original instead of the 2.0 revision, still i love the new aesthetics and would be nice to combine them: old Velka 5 layout with the new material and design, you just may call it Velka 6 or something in those lines to be more convenient :)

Reactions: h2ong

Just_Desserts

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2020
The revision 2.0 changes don't satisfy everyone, and I understand that. On paper, it's obviously better for a case to have a lower selling price, extra fan mounts, and those extra few millimeters of graphics card clearance- I get it. However, many of the recent changes made to these cases are not to have a more impressive specifications sheet, but rather to turn them into a more presentable, usable, and most importantly, purchasable product.

In order to better explain why some of these changes were made, everyone needs to understand the context in which they were made. Velkase has always been a one-person project and it only became full-time after Ali from Optimum Tech, Linus Media Group, and many others showed interest in these cases. I'm grateful that some of you have brought these cases to their attention in the first place, but the product design and order fulfillment strategy needed to be changed as soon as possible.

September-December 2019, I was working 16 hours a day every day because every single case had to be assembled and packed in the USA; every single order had to be checked for whether the customer wanted the case in black, gray, silver, white, with a riser or without, with one, two, or no fans, and then time also had to be allocated to solving some customers' issues with things like motherboard, 2.5" drive, and graphics card incompatibilities due to the design. Continuing to sell the models that were originally intended for a few sales once in a while would have resulted in worse availability, worse quality control, and mistakes in fulfilled orders.

The new designs are more presentable and usable due to the new structure and will come in the most popular configuration: black, with a riser, without fans. The ones that accept Flex ATX power supplies can also be bundled with the 600W Enhance Electronics power supply for $100 extra so that there is an easy choice. Black is the color that has been the most consistent in quality. Too few people get these cases without risers and too few get them with fans. Reducing the number of different configurations for each case from 48 (forty-eight!) to 2 or 24 to 1 and dropping the whole idea with mounting the motherboard onto long standoffs, dropping HDPLEX support, not selling fans, etc. is going to be key in keeping up with demand because the operation will involve fewer suppliers and it will be possible to pre-pack cases with less complicated packaging before being sold.

Eventually, it will be possible to offer cases with more customization options, but the middle of a pandemic after half a year of practically no sales is not the time to do it. With that being said, the community's feedback is not being ignored. You have all been helpful in the past with functional and aesthetic design suggestions, but this revision 2.0 needs to be focused on improved availability and the community can't make decisions that improve availability. Some of the recent suggestions may be implemented into the next revision and some may not. Either way, discussing is going to be good for everyone, and there will be more things to discuss as more product images and user manuals are uploaded.
I want a silver one :(

h2ong

Efficiency Noob
May 18, 2020
I would also like to buy the original instead of the 2.0 revision, still i love the new aesthetics and would be nice to combine them: old Velka 5 layout with the new material and design, you just may call it Velka 6 or something in those lines to be more convenient :)

I would also purchase v1.2 velka 3.

I would add that most of us appreciate choices in design and you would never satisfy everyone. I don't think the new design is a downgrade - it's different.

revo175

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2020
I would also purchase v1.2 velka 3.

I would add that most of us appreciate choices in design and you would never satisfy everyone. I don't think the new design is a downgrade - it's different.
I agree, there is no way to make the perfect case for everybody (well all have to make compromises for SFF builds).

The main issue I think is scarcity, people are ok paying a higher premium if its reflected in the material and of course if you can buy the case.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks for the quick response. I don't have this card, it's just easy to get it here cheap from all the PC Rooms going bust ?

There's a PowerColor at 38mm (255x143x38 https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1496737702#spe) do you reckon it'd be better? Why in the case specs there is some max thickness at 43mm, others at 40mm?
Other possibilities are Gigabyte (H=40 L=232 W=116 mm https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#kf ), XFX ( 270x124x40 https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/amd-radeon-tm-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-4gb-3).

It looks like any of those three will fit fine. The max thickness depends on the height of the card because the space available in the case is non-rectangular.

It's very unlikely that this will happen because top IO wasn't very popular.

I want a silver one :(

Unfortunately, I cannot provide them in silver because the quality would be less consistent.

He confirmed the 645LT dimensions is the same as the 545LC, you can find it along with the rad technical drawing in this post. As for the block itself I haven't looked but it should be in the 645LT thread also.

Thank you. It's strange that such basic information is so scattered.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thank you. It's strange that such basic information is so scattered.
I know right? Way back when I wanted to look this up, my first instinct was to hit Asetek product page - nothing, hit vendors' pages - nothing. Then I remembered the thread and started digiging through it. Also I don't think I've seen the 645LT's block or radiator be submitted as resources.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
@VELKASE Michael I appreciate you posting more pictures on the site of the new cases with hardware inside. Do you have more pictures with the side panels off to get an idea of spacing inside with hardware installed?

Also, understand the CPU cooler height recommendation for the Velka 3 is 37mm yet ran height limit is 42mm. What is the actual clearance? Is there a lot of turbulence with an L9A cooler?

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
@VELKASE Michael I appreciate you posting more pictures on the site of the new cases with hardware inside. Do you have more pictures with the side panels off to get an idea of spacing inside with hardware installed?

Also, understand the CPU cooler height recommendation for the Velka 3 is 37mm yet ran height limit is 42mm. What is the actual clearance? Is there a lot of turbulence with an L9A cooler?
I believe RAM height and cooler height are not measured from the same reference. the cooler is measured from the top of the CPU while the RAM is the total height of the card. The bottom of the RAM card will sit lower than the top of the CPU. So RAM clearance height would be higher. 5mm sounds about right.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
For general knowledge, the FlareX modules are just barely shorter than the L9A on the gigabyte aorus 570 I itx so I know I won't have clearance issues with these dimms.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Will the Velka 7 support triple slot GPUs and can it be ordered without the PSU?
nope, component compatibility is the same as Velka 5 v1.2. you can check the product page for all the spec.
I think you're confused with the lineup, because Velka 5 v2.0 is the Flex PSU model, Velka 7 supports standard SFX and afaik there's no option to buy SFX PSU from Velkase directly.

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
There is enough space at the top of the Velka 3 for a button, but if the same were to be offered on the 5 and 7, it would have to be off-center. Although I wouldn't be opposed to an off-center top power button, it would make a good anodizing job on the front panel impossible because there need to be some openings on the panel for it to be hung by during anodizing. The places where those hooks touch the panel during anodization can be left with some cosmetic imperfections, so it's really convenient to cover that one hole needed for anodizing with a power button.

perhaps any hole or imperfection used as an anchor for anodizing could be covered by a Velkase branding/logo? Added benefit of increasing brand awareness.

Just a thought. Keep up the fantastic work.

Aarav

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2020
I'm intrested in buying the velka 7 but dont know tht does it deliver to india and if does for how much... I'm intrested in buying it in the july batch