Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Would the reference card be suitable, temperature-wise? It's been many years since my last build, but from my understanding the blower fans often run hotter. I'm able to get one for a good amount less than the other options, so that would be nice if so.

Thanks!
I'm running a Vega 56, card turns to lava but it's alright (blower does a good job on moving the hot air), nothing goes close to critical. On the other side I have a 3600X with l9a, highest temps I've seen are 70 (on the cpu).

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
m.2 nvme in the back of the mobo in this cases sound like a bad idea? I mean the m.2 already a hot device by itself

someone can test the temps?

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019

The BR I ordered arrives on Monday, so the build is currently all over my desk atm.

intender

Case Bender
Nov 8, 2019
Finished building mine a few days ago. It was a bit of a struggle, but not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Mine is using older hardware since its what I had already. z170 with a 6600k and an rx580. My cryorig c7 is so much louder in this case than it was in my previous case because of the fan being so close to the side. I can remove the side panel and it gets much quieter. Also after a few days my rx580 started to sag and one of the fans started making contact with the side of the case. I used some small stick on rubber pads I had that are about 2mm thick and stuck them on the high spots on the gpu shroud and that keeps the fans from making contact. My only complaint with this case is the lack of support for the gpu. The only thing holding it in place is the riser. Other than that I am very happy with it overall. I am thinking about buying some aluminum and making some legs so that I can lay it on its back, and having the power button on top. I have a 90 degree power cord already so I just need to make the legs high enough to clear that. I would lose access to the usb and audio ports, but it would fit nicely under my tv this way and all the I/O would come out the back. I am using this for a HTPC and VR so its not like I will be connecting stuff to it very often.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
This question might have been answered, but I couldn't find it in search. Whats maximum ram height for the Velka 3?

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
So for those of you with motherboards with integrated I/O shield such as the Gigabyte x570 you might want to take note.
As previously stated by some other people and @VELKASE Michael , these sorts of motherboards have compatibility issues. @DeXeD on page 38 managed to fit his in by removing the top standoff, but this did not help me. As you can see from these pictures the I/O shield scraps the side of the case and gets caught on the edge of the open rectangle.

Initially I tried to brute force it in, but it didn't work and I got worried that I might not be able to remove the motherboard in the future.
You can see from this picture where the I/O shield has scrapped the paint. Anyway I used this as a guide and got my dremel out.

End up cutting away some material. It took me about 2 hours of trial and error but ended up with this shape.
Now the motherboard slides in easily and is perfectly aligned once the case is fully assembled, and due to the back cover you can't tell I've done any modding. Maybe this will help some of you that have also gone with a Velka 5 and a Gigabyte x570.

TLDR: Don't get a mobo with integrated I/O shield if you want an easy installation.

Last edited:

BoiseTech

Efficiency Noob
Oct 23, 2019
Update: I took the button apart and re-stripped the wires. They were so tight they severed the wire internally. All is good now.

I got my Velka 3, all built and ready! SOo excited. However the power button is dead. Bridging the mobo jumpers powers it on, button does not. Gunna swap with the button from the Velka 5 I ordered. What is the best way to get a new power button? Hopefully not send the case back, cause its... uh... built.

Last edited:

x01

Cable Smoosher
Oct 31, 2019
My Velka 5 is already shipped and expected to arrive by the end of this month
I'm still wondering if my z390i with integrated I/O shiled will be compatible
Anybody has z390i mobo and velka 5 build?

hextanerf

Chassis Packer
Sep 6, 2019
Hi @VELKASE Michael -

Got the Velka 5 today and assembled it. It seems that my GPU is leaning at an angle, and whenever it spins it grinds against the side panel. Is there anyways for me to fix it? I'm using Zotac 1080 mini.

Otherwise the case is cool. Hard to build but does the job. I'll need to undervolt or get a blackridge.

Thanks!

Edit: Undervolted to 1.15V for 3800MHz. The temps are alright now. Similar to what I had in Suppressor F1. I seriously need help with the GPU issue though...

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi @VELKASE Michael -

Got the Velka 5 today and assembled it. It seems that my GPU is leaning at an angle, and whenever it spins it grinds against the side panel. Is there anyways for me to fix it? I'm using Zotac 1080 mini.

Otherwise the case is cool. Hard to build but does the job. I'll need to undervolt or get a blackridge.

Thanks!

Edit: Undervolted to 1.15V for 3800MHz. The temps are alright now. Similar to what I had in Suppressor F1. I seriously need help with the GPU issue though...

I would suggest supporting the graphics card from underneath with the angled bracket or retaining the graphics card with the flat bracket to prevent the cooler from touching the side panel.

I am working on making another solution available in the form of 3D printable files this week and in the form of metal pieces available in December. If it is unsatisfactory, feel free to contact me about a free return.

Reactions: maxdfw

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
Hi @VELKASE Michael -

Thanks!

Do you have a back plate? And have you checked that the riser cable behind the GPU is flat? I had to proper bend my cable quite a lot to make it sit flush with the back plate.

hextanerf

Chassis Packer
Sep 6, 2019
Do you have a back plate? And have you checked that the riser cable behind the GPU is flat? I had to proper bend my cable quite a lot to make it sit flush with the back plate.

Yes it has a backplate. I'm going to try re-bending the riser cable tonight.

I would suggest supporting the graphics card from underneath with the angled bracket or retaining the graphics card with the flat bracket to prevent the cooler from touching the side panel.

I am working on making another solution available in the form of 3D printable files this week and in the form of metal pieces available in December. If it is unsatisfactory, feel free to contact me about a free return.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by supporting with brackets... Can you elaborate? Also I'm going to try re-bending the riser cable. I like how small the case is and definitely don't want to return it!

Thanks!

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Nov 6, 2018
are the velka 3 with sandblasted sides being shipped?

man, i think i should have just opted for regular side panels. The wait is killing me

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019
@x01 - I have an ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix Z390-I and it does not fit in Velka 5 :( ... unfortunately - I am trying to fit it in the Velka 3 but I do not have a flex compatible power supply (I thought I have one but seems it doesn't have a CPU power :( connector and my cables are too short - I tried to repurpuse a flex PSU) so I need to buy a new flex PSU.

later edit: I just now verified the incompatibilities even with Velka 3:

1. the motherboard is still hitting the front part of the case when installed (you need to unscrew the top back screw (and slide the front part between the stand off and the back part of the case - not a huge deal but still
2. the cpu mounting screws (Noctua NH-L9i) are hitting the PCIe connector of the extension cable, not allowing for the extension cable to be fixed-in/secured intro place with the included set of screws, I used longer ones ... unfortunately this makes the GPU a little bit flimsy (I didn't figure it out yet how to overcome this issue, maybe some washers again can save the day)
3. due to issue nr 2 corroborated with a possible width issue of my gpu, the gpu fan was hitting/scratching against the side panel (I had to use 1mm washers to clear it) not sure if this can be considered a "fix" but is a "for now" solution.

My reco: DO NOT USE the Z390i ROG strix from ASUS to build in any of V3 or V5 ... too much of a headache.

Is there a list of compatible hardware with Velka cases ? seems to be a little more "restrictive" compared with other SFF's

PS: @VELKASE Michael - I hope you will consider the above as constructive criticism not bashing the case at all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Piotr