Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019
I understand - I just described my experience with the case with a MB that has a integrated I/O and is kind of working if you are willing to jump thru some loop holes :)

Not sure if the L9i was a known issue (as I didn't do my homework per se :D )

cristianoveide

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 12, 2019
Hello.

I know that this already was discussed here but i wanna know if i can fit the geek modular psu with this slim button that have less than 13 mm on the inside part on velka 3 without modding anything. I´ll post the link of aliexpress of it.

Sorry if i am repeating things...

Thanks!!!

Reactions: Skarum

hardcoredesk

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 15, 2019
Have all my Velka 5 components except for the Black Ridge, and I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to build now with the Wraith Stealth and replace that when the Black Ridge arrives in the next few days. Any insight would be appreciated.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Hello.

I know that this already was discussed here but i wanna know if i can fit the geek modular psu with this slim button that have less than 13 mm on the inside part on velka 3 without modding anything. I´ll post the link of aliexpress of it.

Sorry if i am repeating things...

Thanks!!!

Looks cool. Might also free up a bit of GPU cleareance in the Velka 5 for wider cards, using a angled power-connector.

x01

Cable Smoosher
Oct 31, 2019
@x01 - I have an ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix Z390-I and it does not fit in Velka 5 :( ... unfortunately - I am trying to fit it in the Velka 3 but I do not have a flex compatible power supply (I thought I have one but seems it doesn't have a CPU power :( connector and my cables are too short - I tried to repurpuse a flex PSU) so I need to buy a new flex PSU.

later edit: I just now verified the incompatibilities even with Velka 3:

1. the motherboard is still hitting the front part of the case when installed (you need to unscrew the top back screw (and slide the front part between the stand off and the back part of the case - not a huge deal but still
2. the cpu mounting screws (Noctua NH-L9i) are hitting the PCIe connector of the extension cable, not allowing for the extension cable to be fixed-in/secured intro place with the included set of screws, I used longer ones ... unfortunately this makes the GPU a little bit flimsy (I didn't figure it out yet how to overcome this issue, maybe some washers again can save the day)
3. due to issue nr 2 corroborated with a possible width issue of my gpu, the gpu fan was hitting/scratching against the side panel (I had to use 1mm washers to clear it) not sure if this can be considered a "fix" but is a "for now" solution.

My reco: DO NOT USE the Z390i ROG strix from ASUS to build in any of V3 or V5 ... too much of a headache.

Is there a list of compatible hardware with Velka cases ? seems to be a little more "restrictive" compared with other SFF's

PS: @VELKASE Michael - I hope you will consider the above as constructive criticism not bashing the case at all :)

Have you tried removing the heat spreader and i/o shield?
I prefer to remove them than buying another expensive mobo if that simply works

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
This has probably already been discussed ad nauseum, but for people using the HDPlex 400w dc-atx, what and where are you getting ac-dc power bricks? I see the Dell 330w on Amazon for $89, and unfortunately the HDPlex 400w ac-dc is out of stock. I'm wary of getting the dell...it seems very overpriced and i've read ton of people getting the wrong ones and inconsistent behavior. For what its worth, my current system is an i5 6600 with an Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB mini, being powered by the corsair 450w SFX psu. I'm downsizing (lol) from my mi-6 CCD case.

Reactions: DrummerMuppet

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
@VELKASE Michael or anyone else know the size of the screws for the wires of the power button? I took the screws out to make installing the header for the power button easier, but I've somehow lost the screws :/

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
In the Velka 3, is it possible to use an NH-L9i cooler with an NF-A9 PWM fan? The 14mm variant is included on the cooler and the NF-A9 PWM fan is 25mm so it's an 11mm difference and I was just wondering if it would fit.

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Also I know that the updated manual for the newest revision of the Velka 3 states that in dual slot configuration it can support a total cpu cooler height of 37mm, however it also states that the max ram height supported for dual slot is 45mm. So, will the extra 3mm to turn the cpu cooler height from 37mm to 48mm with the NF-A9 PWM fan fit with side panels attached?

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
This inquiry about cpu cooler fan support is based on my idea for a future build in a Velka 3
Components include
Intel i9-9900KS CPU (delidded and plan to run stock)
Noctua NH-L9i Chromax Black CPU Cooler
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Paste
AsRock Z390i Phantom Gaming ITX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 RAM
Samsung 860 Pro 4TB SSD
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 SSD
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Mini ITX GPU
Velka Riser Cable
Velka 3 Case
Z Cases P50 Custom Enhance 600W PSU
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS
(X2) Velka 80mm Case Fan
Noctua NF-A9 PWM 25mm Variant Chromax Black Fan (for NH-L9i CPU Cooler)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Also I know that the updated manual for the newest revision of the Velka 3 states that in dual slot configuration it can support a total cpu cooler height of 37mm, however it also states that the max ram height supported for dual slot is 45mm. So, will the extra 3mm to turn the cpu cooler height from 37mm to 48mm with the NF-A9 PWM fan fit with side panels attached?

Ram height doesn't take into account the socket height or the CPU height stack. You do not have 45mm of clearance for the CPU cooler. Neither will a full height A9 fan fit. It's just too tall (by a large margin). I'm using an L9a (AMD version) on a B450i motherboard and there's only 2mm clearance to the front panel.

A stock L9 is just about the maximum height you can fit in there.

A 9900ks is unlikely to run stock on a L9i cooler (even delidded). If you give it a healthy undervolt and run it direct-die contact without the IHS, it might run acceptably.

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Gotcha so would I be better off to go with a 9900K instead? It is 95w compared to 127w on 9900KS. Because what I want to achieve is decent temps on either one of those cpu's running stock.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
This inquiry about cpu cooler fan support is based on my idea for a future build in a Velka 3
Components include
Intel i9-9900KS CPU (delidded and plan to run stock)

The 9900KS gets hot and is very unlikely not to be throttled with a L9i. If you plan to run it at stock, why not get a 9900K? The KS is just a well binned, OC'd 9900K anyway. And even then, putting a 9900K in such a tiny case, with a small cooler is pushing it and most likely you'll end up throttling your CPU. I know it's bigger, but you could look into the

Noctua NH-L9i Chromax Black CPU Cooler

Might want to take a look at a Alpenfohn Black Ridge. It's a great cooler and a bit more capable than the l9i. Check out Optimum Tech's review here. And it'll benefit quite a bit from putting a Noctua A9x14 Chromax underneath instead of the included fan. The Chromax can run at higher RPM than the standard A9x14.

[SNIP] Noctua NF-A9 PWM 25mm Variant Chromax Black Fan (for NH-L9i CPU Cooler)

As someone else pointed out, the 25 mm fan won't fit on the L9i, and it won't fit under the Black Ridge either. Go for the A9x14 Chromax.

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
I’m not opposed to using another cooler I just want to have the components I previously listed to run decent stock. I am open to other options just want everything to fit in a Velka 3.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
My 9900K runs stock on an l9i in my similar case. Have it OCd to 5 all core like a KS, on full load it'll run at that for 10-15sec then throttle down to stock or very close (4.6-4.7).

You can forget about "decent temps" in that form factor though, you'll be redlining it like a laptop would. It just happens that unlike with a laptop you can actually get full stock perf when doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skarum

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
So is my best bet to delid a 9900K with an l9i? Because now I’m pretty sure that’s the only compatible cooler I have found so far for the Velka 3.

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Another crazy idea, but could a 9900KS work if I did a delid, underclock/undervolt and ran in conjunction with one of der8auer's custom oc-frame's, which allows the CPU to be operated and cooled without a heat spreader?