Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

aloidnev

Efficiency Noob
Oct 9, 2019
Has anyone tried flipping the Velka 5 so the front panel is facing downwards (with some feet probably since the power button is sticking out), and the IO on the top will be at the back?

So basically just another sandwich style case but smaller.

hextanerf

Chassis Packer
Sep 6, 2019
Has anyone tried flipping the Velka 5 so the front panel is facing downwards (with some feet probably since the power button is sticking out), and the IO on the top will be at the back?

So basically just another sandwich style case but smaller.
I always feel like if we can get the psu cord go out of the io shield side, then we can lay it down.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
No, it would increase the case volume to at least 7 liters and a case with a slim layout of equal volume and desk footprint would be more practical in just about every regard. It would be more flexible in orientation, be better suited for liquid cooling the CPU when a short graphics card is installed, potentially allow for larger graphics card heatsinks or extra storage, and have more easily accessible I/O at the back as opposed to at the top under a cover.

You can expect to see a slim case like that or a horizontal version of the Velka 5 some time in the future, but definitely not a vertical case with top I/O and cover.
But there is nothing that takes up this little sapce on the desk in the ~7l range. It would make it look cleaner I'd think. May be worth a poll to see if there is any/enough interest for it. It would be an additional accessory which i'd gladly pay for. Just my 2¢ :)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Michael, can I get the offset of

Can I get the horizontal offset of the rear slots from the back plate ??

Sorry, I have misread your previous question. To mount a 3.5" drive, you will need to use the round holes instead of the slots and use the case in dual slot mode. They are 6.5 mm away from the back panel.

Reactions: sid21177

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Sorry, I have misread your previous question. To mount a 3.5" drive, you will need to use the round holes instead of the slots and use the case in dual slot mode. They are 6.5 mm away from the back panel.

What is the spacing between the round holes - my HDD has only 2 sets of bottom mounts (instead of the usual 3) and they are 76mm apart - can I use the slot pair next to the holes ??

ookic

What's an ITX?
Oct 12, 2019
Just watched it and suddenly feel the need to build one... ?

Any support for SFX power supplies or 80x80x25mm case fans?
Also, any plans to allow customizing the case vents, construction material, or power button?

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I'm curious, if you made an HDPlex-specific version of the Velka 3 (only room for an HDPlex + 2.5" next to it) and got rid of the top fans, how much smaller would the case be?

I feel like external brick may be a better option for many because you can't fit/cool more than 330W worth of hardware in the case anyway, and the main source of noise is the PSU + top fans. You wouldn't really need top fans without PSU heat exhausted in the case. And I'd argue external brick is actually better for portability because you can break up the weight/size of the PC. HDPlex is also better for cable management + no dust. So I'm curious what the space savings would be with a case optimized for that.

Reactions: DKsystem

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Gray Velka 3 cases are sold out and they have not even been restocked yet. Let me figure out what to do about this and then I can answer those questions :)