Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Any modifications to the mounting points on the female end of the 3M riser?

None needed. You would just need to make sure that your graphics card has a backplate because unlike the LiHeat riser, the 3M riser's exterior is conductive. If it does not have a backplate, you would need to add some insulation between the riser and graphics card PCB.

#6-32 type ??

They are 5.8 mm in diameter, so they work with self tapping screws for computer fans and 6-32 radiator screws. Heads of other 6-32 screws may be too small and require washers.

Reactions: sid21177

Hub

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2018
Hi guys. Do you think its possible to install 120mm fan in Velka 5 like this guy did in S4 Mini It almost dropped cpu temperature by 10C.

Reactions: lawney

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
None needed. You would just need to make sure that your graphics card has a backplate because unlike the LiHeat riser, the 3M riser's exterior is conductive. If it does not have a backplate, you would need to add some insulation between the riser and graphics card PCB.

Mine does, but I might cover the riser cable in electrical tape anyway ?

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
They are 5.8 mm in diameter, so they work with self tapping screws for computer fans and 6-32 radiator screws. Heads of other 6-32 screws may be too small and require washers.

Thx ?

If I wanted to place a 3.5 HDD in the VK-3 GPU chamber (still debating), would you recommend using the front or the rear slots ??
Or not at all

P.S I dont intend to move the system around much

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Thanks, I haven't ordered anything from abroad in recent memory so I was never sure how this worked. I still assume there is an element of luck if you get hit with custom charges or not, or have they clamped down on this now?

A couple of years ago it was kinda hit and miss, I've had parcels worth £300+ go through with no charge, and had ones marked £25 hit with fees. But recently it seems HMRC is really on the ball and pretty much everything over £15 threshold gets charged.

• Haha
Reactions: sid21177

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
So what Riser comes stock with Velka 5? And is the LiHeat a better choice for the case?

The same LiHeat riser comes with the Velka 5. It is the best all-around choice for this case.

I mentioned that there is a 3M riser that one could purchase on their own (not from my website), but it costs about $80 and is only necessary in situations where the LiHeat riser does not work with an AMD RX 5700(XT) on an X570 motherboard. For all other motherboard and graphics card combinations, the LiHeat riser is the better choice.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
The same LiHeat riser comes with the Velka 5. It is the best all-around choice for this case.

I mentioned that there is a 3M riser that one could purchase on their own (not from my website), but it costs about $80 and is only necessary in situations where the LiHeat riser does not work with an AMD RX 5700(XT) on an X570 motherboard. For all other motherboard and graphics card combinations, the LiHeat riser is the better choice.

Which 3M riser is recommended for use with the Velka 5? That's my planned build.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Which 3M riser is recommended for use with the Velka 5? That's my planned build.

8KC3-0726-0250

I have not personally tested this part for PCIe gen 4 compatibility, but to my knowledge this is the same riser that is used in the Dancases A4-SFX and is claimed to be gen 4 compatible.

It will set you back about $80 and you will need to insulate it if your graphics card does not have a backplate. At that point, it may even be better to put the riser cost difference into an RTX card; just be sure to check which graphics card choice makes the most sense in your region.

Edit: You may also be able to make the AMD cards work on the LiHeat riser in gen 3 mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawney

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
It would be awesome if there was a laptop/ultrabook out there that allowed you to use its monitor and keyboard/trackpad as inputs for a portable PC like this. That is, using a Velka 3 almost like an external GPU. Would be great for traveling, all you'd need is your ultrabook and a Velka 3. One obvious advantage is gaming, but also just being able to access your home PC when you travel without having to carry a portable monitor/keyboard/mouse too.

I don't know of any laptop that allows that though. There have been a few crowdfunded shells, like the Superbook, but they never went anywhere.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

Mordr3d

Efficiency Noob
Aug 23, 2019
Hi , I'm really loving the look of this case (Velka 5) and have a few questions if you don't mind :

1. Will the Cryorig C7 Cu work well enough with a 3700x on this case along with a 2070 super ?

2. I have the X570 Aorus mini itx and read about some issues with the fit , has this been addressed on the newer version of the velka 5.1?

3. Any custom cable lengths for this case ? Also is it possible to place the case horizontally without any issues ?

ThatGuy333333

Caliper Novice
Aug 5, 2019
I have a gigabyte Vega 64 gaming oc. It is 5mm too thicc according to the specs. Would using some standoffs to lift the side panel up be possible? Also what thread are used on the side panels?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi , I'm really loving the look of this case (Velka 5) and have a few questions if you don't mind :

1. Will the Cryorig C7 Cu work well enough with a 3700x on this case along with a 2070 super ?

2. I have the X570 Aorus mini itx and read about some issues with the fit , has this been addressed on the newer version of the velka 5.1?

3. Any custom cable lengths for this case ? Also is it possible to place the case horizontally without any issues ?

1. Yes.

2. Partially addressed. It would be safest to assume that those issues will remain in rev 1.1.

3. It can only be placed vertically.

I have a gigabyte Vega 64 gaming oc. It is 5mm too thicc according to the specs. Would using some standoffs to lift the side panel up be possible? Also what thread are used on the side panels?

Sorry, the side panel cannot be lifted off with standoffs because it is not a flat panel; it has a bend towards the rear which must be fixed at the back of the case. M3x0.5 thread is used.

Reactions: Mordr3d

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Is there any plan for an after market top cover for the velka 5? Maybe this is silly, but I would help the asthetic appeal.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Is there any plan for an after market top cover for the velka 5? Maybe this is silly, but I would help the asthetic appeal.

No, it would increase the case volume to at least 7 liters and a case with a slim layout of equal volume and desk footprint would be more practical in just about every regard. It would be more flexible in orientation, be better suited for liquid cooling the CPU when a short graphics card is installed, potentially allow for larger graphics card heatsinks or extra storage, and have more easily accessible I/O at the back as opposed to at the top under a cover.

You can expect to see a slim case like that or a horizontal version of the Velka 5 some time in the future, but definitely not a vertical case with top I/O and cover.