Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Godalor

Chassis Packer
Sep 14, 2019
Do the guys here who want to put an RTX 2060 into their Velka 3 with the SilverStone FX350 just plug the 6-pin PCIe power connector into the 8-Pins of the GPU? Has anyone here actually tried that? I am thinking about getting a Velka 3 for a Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 1660 build and I'm not so sure whether it'll just work or whether I should use the cables I have lying around to make a zombie connection to 8-pin PCIe. Something like 2x Molex to 6-pin PCIe and then dual 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe.

It also seems that I'm also quite unlucky with the preorder date. I'll be in the US for a week from October 12. to 20. so if the v1.2 batch doesn't come a week earlier than expected I might have to scrap my plans and go for an APU build with the GEEEK A1.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
After 2 weeks I finally have the Velka 5.
Here is the problem with the x570 Aorus I Pro Wifi IO shield, I hope it helps.

Thanks. If you are willing to share, could you please comment on what issues/ difficulties this causes during installation and use?

DeXeD

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 25, 2019
@VELKASE Michael

I broke everything up again and think that the board is too "thick". So I removed the backplate, the plastic cover and the IO shield but it still did not work. When I then removed the M3 5mm standoff it fit, about 1mm too much. The IO shield is too stiff and has nothing to screw down without backplate and plastic cover. But I think it works now.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Do the guys here who want to put an RTX 2060 into their Velka 3 with the SilverStone FX350 just plug the 6-pin PCIe power connector into the 8-Pins of the GPU? Has anyone here actually tried that? I am thinking about getting a Velka 3 for a Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 1660 build and I'm not so sure whether it'll just work or whether I should use the cables I have lying around to make a zombie connection to 8-pin PCIe. Something like 2x Molex to 6-pin PCIe and then dual 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe.

It also seems that I'm also quite unlucky with the preorder date. I'll be in the US for a week from October 12. to 20. so if the v1.2 batch doesn't come a week earlier than expected I might have to scrap my plans and go for an APU build with the GEEEK A1.

Apologies if someone has already replied to you before, the extra 2 pins on a PCIe 8 pin connector are not live 12V lines, in fact they're both shorted to ground an is only really used as sense lines. I've ran 6-pin cable harness on 8-pin connectors just fine in the past just by shorting those 2 extra pins together on the GPU side. Needless to say, your 3x 12v conductors will run a little warmer but tbh most PSUs by reputable vendors on the market run with 16-18AWG wires and should be more than adequate to handle the extra load on each 12v wire (8pin connectors run with the same set of conductors, after all)

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
@VELKASE Michael

I broke everything up again and think that the board is too "thick". So I removed the backplate, the plastic cover and the IO shield but it still did not work. When I then removed the M3 5mm standoff it fit, about 1mm too much. The IO shield is too stiff and has nothing to screw down without backplate and plastic cover. But I think it works now.

I'm dying here, how do I position my Aorus X570 in the case.

DeXeD

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 25, 2019
I'm dying here, how do I position my Aorus X570 in the case.

For me it works like this, unscrew backplate IO shield and plastic deco and the small standoff on the back (under the backplate). Swap the standoff (as shown in picture 1. 2.) against a M3 screw and with it the IO shield simply holds by pressure.

Marbolite

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2019
Well I wasnt sure how all the cables were going to fit when looking at it halfway through the build process but It all came together very well.
Can appreciate all the little things that go into designing cases like this after building it piece by piece.