VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Yay ? - rev 1.2 ??

A pattern like the VK-5 slots would offer so much flexibility in positioning

They are just those same holes, but elongated just so that installation of drives is easier. With a Flex ATX power supply installed, I really no reason not to mount them where the holes previously were as those positions maximize the space available for cables; moving them away would only complicate cable management.

Hippo

What's an ITX?
Sep 25, 2019
Would it be possible to get a mounting bracket behind the front panel or top cover to mount a 2,5'' optical drive? I think it could be feasible but the slot for the insertion of the disc means less material and could reduce the rigidity of the case, the top part could then be easily bent and break. But the idea of having an optical drive would make this enclosure even more complete.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Would it be possible to get a mounting bracket behind the front panel or top cover to mount a 2,5'' optical drive? I think it could be feasible but the slot for the insertion of the disc means less material and could reduce the rigidity of the case, the top part could then be easily bent and break. But the idea of having an optical drive would make this enclosure even more complete.

That would introduce compatibility problems with graphics cards, certain power supplies that will be supported in the future and cable management for a feature that most people do not need, so that is not something that will be implemented into the base model. I could probably offer a one-off case with that functionality, but I would have to charge several hundred USD for it and it could all be replaced by a cheap external optical drive.

Reactions: maxdfw

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
They are just those same holes, but elongated just so that installation of drives is easier. With a Flex ATX power supply installed, I really no reason not to mount them where the holes previously were as those positions maximize the space available for cables; moving them away would only complicate cable management.

If the holes are just elongated as they stand, then the slots have a somewhat random pattern.

If they were in a VK5 style along 1 vertical axis (instead of 3), it looks a lot more organized IMO (density can be varied)
They only have to be between the current lowest & highest limits - no sense doing them in the section blocked by the flex PSU
It takes care of all three existing orientations eliminating the horizontal offsets

Perhaps you could post a pic of what you are planning ?? ?

Last edited:

Darksmoke

What's an ITX?
Nov 7, 2018
This case is very interesting.

I have now HDplex 400W (ac-dc and dc-atx) PSU. Anyone fitted those to this case? AC-DC unit are very tight to fit. Flexatx are little lame solution.

Now both it's not fitting to inside Node 202 with AIO and GPU.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
If they were in a VK5 style along 1 vertical axis (instead of 3)

On 2nd thought - 2 vertical rows would be needed - 1 each for horizontal SSD & vertical SSD+HDD orientation.
Forgot that the mount points have different offset from the edge depending on orientation?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
does the velka 3 case come with any mesh dust filters for the perforated sides?

No dust filters are included. You would need to get a custom made one from DemciFilter and mount it externally or implement a different solution. I would actually advise against using dust filters with these cases.

On 2nd thought - 2 vertical rows would be needed - 1 each for horizontal SSD & vertical SSD+HDD orientation.
Forgot that the mount points have different offset from the edge depending on orientation?

This is what is currently in production. Slots are used for 2.5" drives (left column for horizontal orientation or vertical orientation, right column for vertical orientation only) and the two holes next to them are unused.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
This is what is currently in production. Slots are used for 2.5" drives (left column for horizontal orientation or vertical orientation, right column for vertical orientation only) and the two holes next to them are unused.

Great! - what I was trying to say is that the two columns could be made symmetric - it makes some slots redundant on each column but looks better ?

Would it be possible to get extra countersunk black M3 screws with the case - Need 10-12 more for my SSDs/fans
Could I add the request to the order comments for you to accomodate ??

If not, can you share how long the default included ones are ??

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Great!
Would it be possible to get extra countersunk black M3 screws with the case - Need 10-12 more for my SSDs/fans
Could I add the request to the order comments for you to accomodate ??

If not, can you share how long the default included ones are ??

Each case comes with a total of 25x 6 mm M3 countersunk screws. 8 are used for assembling the case itself and the remaining 17 are enough for any storage configuration unless if you lose several screws. Fans are mounted with different screws.

If you want some extra screws, then yes, you can leave an order comment and they will be added.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Manual said 15 so I was going off that - 25 should be sufficient, I'll do my math in case I need a few more - Thx

Oh, I think that was because 15 did not include the 10 screws the case was assembled with, including the rear slot cover. There shouldn't be any need to purchase extra mounting hardware to assemble any configuration in the case.

Reactions: sid21177

AlyAgroudy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 16, 2019
Just finished my build in the Velka 5.

for anyone wondering, 2 slot strix gpus and the black ridge cooler fit (barely)

Im also running a 9700k which is perfect for gaming, but anything more intense and the cpu will throttle if you don't decrease the voltage.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For those wondering about Velka 5 top covers and stands for flipping the case over:

I am hesitant to make them because it is possible to develop a case with similar part compatibility and same volume as a Velka 5 with a top cover (~ 7 L), just in a slimmer shape. The difference in desk footprint could potentially be as small as 5%.

Reactions: Sashby and sid21177

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
For those wondering about Velka 5 top covers and stands for flipping the case over:

I am hesitant to make them because it is possible to develop a case with similar part compatibility and same volume as a Velka 5 with a top cover (~ 7 L), just in a slimmer shape. The difference in desk footprint could potentially be as small as 5%.

When will you update the renders to the latest revision of the cases ??

Sarafan

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2019
I'm a little conflicted about what to do after seeing OptimumTech's video on the Velka 3. It looks exactly like what I want to build but that Flex ATX PSU noise is just way too much. And from what I've seen, a simple fan swap doesn't solve the problem. Is there any other solution? Can you fit both the HD PLEX 400 AC-DC and the HD PLEX 400 DC ATX in the case?

I'd like to use a R5 3500 and a 2070 in the case.

EDIT: Is this an option worth considering? https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Just finished my build in the Velka 5.

for anyone wondering, 2 slot strix gpus and the black ridge cooler fit (barely)

Im also running a 9700k which is perfect for gaming, but anything more intense and the cpu will throttle if you don't decrease the voltage.

Jeez that is dense. The box your graphics card came in is probably larger than the Velka 5. :D

Just curious, has it been shown that the Black Ridge with a 92mm fan is better than the L9i?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm a little conflicted about what to do after seeing OptimumTech's video on the Velka 3. It looks exactly like what I want to build but that Flex ATX PSU noise is just way too much. And from what I've seen, a simple fan swap doesn't solve the problem. Is there any other solution? Can you fit both the HD PLEX 400 AC-DC and the HD PLEX 400 DC ATX in the case?

I'd like to use a R5 3500 and a 2070 in the case.

EDIT: Is this an option worth considering? https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/

The Geeek power supply and AC-DC HDPLEX 400W unit will definitely not fit. There is enough space for the DC-ATX unit and I'm trying to implement a mount for it so that it can be used with external AC-DC adapters. You would have to wait until the launch day to know whether it will be compatible.