Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

revo175

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2020
I just read about the new V3 v2.0 on the website and I have to say I'm disappointed. The only changes I like are the discreet screws and that assembly/access is easier. But otherwise, there was a lot to dislike:

1) 5mm front panel. Why? It just adds volume, weight and cost. There was no issue with the previous front panel.
2) The rest of the case is steel. Steel is heavier and not as premium. I get that it's stronger, but is that really needed in a 4L SFF case? My M1 V5 is plenty strong.
3) GPU length fixed to 175x42. So now the MSI Aero cards will just barely fit. If MSI makes them 1mm longer in the next revision, they won't fit. There are a good number of cards in the 175-183mm range that won't be supported now.
4) The honeycomb pattern looks cheaper imo, and reveals too much of the internals. Considering most people will have ketchup and mustard cables, this is not ideal. The previous vents looked better and still offered plenty of airflow.
5) Removed support for HDPlex. HDPlex was always the superior option in my view. It's fully passive, much easier cable management, modular, and much less weight inside the case. In terms of weight management, an external brick is better for traveling and overall handling of the case. I guess you could still tape an HDPlex and source a back plate from somewhere?
6) The PSU being on top makes no sense to me:
6.1) Restricted airflow. Top fans provided needed exhaust. Now there isn't even much passive exhaust.
6.2) Asymmetrical top vent doesn't look great.
6.3) Bare metal PSU will show through the vop vent (and the larger side vents) unless you get a black one, but there aren't many of those.
6.4) Removed support for second 2.5" drive.
6.5) It makes the case top heavy.
6.6) Why?
7) The case is more expensive now. What do you get for the extra money? Steel instead of aluminum? Extra weight on a portable case? I don't get it.

Meanwhile, the K39 is all aluminum, supports longer GPUs, supports the C7 cooler, supports 2x2.5" drives, has top vents/side vents don't extend into the PSU section, and costs much less. It does look less premium and has poor manufacturing tolerances, but still that is now very serious competition.

Sorry for being so negative, but the previous V3 was one of my favorite cases and this revision I would not buy, so I wanted to give my honest feedback rather than praise the positive changes. And I'm sorry if I got any v2.0 details wrong, please correct me if that was the case.

Edit: I just read Michael's justification for making the changes from a few pages back, and it's all very understandable. I thought I'd leave this post up just for the sake of playing devil's advocate.

New iterations will always bring compromises people will not put up with specially in the SFF world, I do think the new cases hit a great niche:

• Small desk foot print.
  • Great looking.
  • Well built (we'll see).
  • Price competitive.
  • You can actually buy them (we'll see).
The above is what most people want in a SFF system, can you fit a 240mm AIO in any of the cases? nope, most people want a 240 AIO? also nope, the nice thing is that there are other cases for that; as a small business limiting you offering is probably the best thing you can do even if it mean losing some potential customers (which will happen anyways).

I can't refute any of your gripes on the new cases because they are subjective, personal and therefore valid, in the future they might make a case with the compromises you are able to tolerate, if not just get another case.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I just read about the new V3 v2.0 on the website and I have to say I'm disappointed. The only changes I like are the discreet screws and that assembly/access is easier. But otherwise, there was a lot to dislike:

1) 5mm front panel. Why? It just adds volume, weight and cost. There was no issue with the previous front panel.
2) The rest of the case is steel. Steel is heavier and not as premium. I get that it's stronger, but is that really needed in a 4L SFF case? My M1 V5 is plenty strong.
3) GPU length fixed to 175x42. So now the MSI Aero cards will just barely fit. If MSI makes them 1mm longer in the next revision, they won't fit. There are a good number of cards in the 175-183mm range that won't be supported now.
4) The honeycomb pattern looks cheaper imo, and reveals too much of the internals. Considering most people will have ketchup and mustard cables, this is not ideal. The previous vents looked better and still offered plenty of airflow.
5) Removed support for HDPlex. HDPlex was always the superior option in my view. It's fully passive, much easier cable management, modular, and much less weight inside the case. In terms of weight management, an external brick is better for traveling and overall handling of the case. I guess you could still tape an HDPlex and source a back plate from somewhere?
6) The PSU being on top makes no sense to me:
6.1) Restricted airflow. Top fans provided needed exhaust. Now there isn't even much passive exhaust.
6.2) Asymmetrical top vent doesn't look great.
6.3) Bare metal PSU will show through the vop vent (and the larger side vents) unless you get a black one, but there aren't many of those.
6.4) Removed support for second 2.5" drive.
6.5) It makes the case top heavy.
6.6) Why?
7) The case is more expensive now. What do you get for the extra money? Steel instead of aluminum? Extra weight on a portable case? I don't get it.

Meanwhile, for much less the K39 is all aluminum, supports longer GPUs, supports the C7 cooler, supports 2x2.5" drives, has better airflow, and the PSU is not visible. It does look less premium and has poor manufacturing tolerances, but still at this price differential that is now very serious competition.

Sorry for being so negative, but the previous V3 was one of my favorite cases and this revision I would not buy, so I wanted to give my honest feedback rather than praise the positive changes. And I'm sorry if I got any v2.0 details wrong, please correct me if that was the case.

Edit: I just read Michael's justification for making the changes from a few pages back, and it's all very understandable. I thought I'd leave this post up just for the sake of playing devil's advocate.

Thank you for your understanding. It's actually nice to receive some constructive feedback.

I think that the root of all of your complaints is the need for my company to re-enter the market at this weird time after several months of inactivity. I could just not release these revisions, hope that people would be OK with unaddressed issues in the old cases and hope that people would have enough interest in a delayed revision, discuss revisions online for months with no launch date in sight and hope that no one would steal any ideas. Continuing to sell the old cases would be somewhat of a dead-end strategy because most of my time would have to be spent on manual labor.

The changes in the new revision actually open some simple and interesting possibilities for the future, all of which take time. That could include extra perforation at the top for better cooling (plus a relocated PSU), a vented front panel, shipping the case together with a pre-installed black ENP-7660B PSU with black custom length cables, availability on sites like Amazon, distribution in Europe... lots of things that just wouldn't work with the old designs.

1) The front panel needs to be a minimum of 3 mm thick in order to keep the side panel screws hidden. Any thinner and there would have to be screws on either the side panel or front panel. It's not that much more expensive to make a flat panel 2 mm thicker than the minimum. The previous front panel did have issues, in particular some faint machining marks that would sometimes be left by the press brake near the bends. Not enough to cause complaints, but perhaps enough to make the quality questionable for those outside of the US paying anywhere between 180 USD - 215 USD for it. The only other way to fix those marks would be to only offer a powdercoated finish.

2) I would argue that this is a matter of preference. Aluminum can be anodized to make it feel more expensive to the touch. Steel, on the other hand, is more rigid. Yes, your aluminum NCASE M1 is plenty strong, but it's also over three times the size and doesn't have to deal with the same constraints as this case. The primary reason steel was chosen for the latest revision is that making it out of aluminum with decent structural integrity would make it at least 0.5 L larger, at which point its hardware compatibility for the size would become more questionable. Secondary benefits of using steel in the Velka 3 makes the side panels less prone to deforming, makes it possible to make the flanges on the frame thinner and as a result, just make it easier to work in.

3) I do not have a whole lot to say here. Graphics card compatibility is in fact more strict but the restriction makes it possible to have a more rigid frame.

4) I can't comment much on this because vent geometry preferences are highly personal but I understand that it would make sense to keep the old vent appearance. The smaller hexagonal cutouts should make the case slightly more pleasant to handle, are slightly more open, make the case look a little bit different and that's about it.

5) The HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU does weigh less inside the case, but because it would have to be used with an external AC-DC adapter, this lower weight would be irrelevant to everyone except for those don't need to bring a power brick with them because they already have one at their destination. After the case starts to get bundled with a black ENP-7660B for $100 (and there are plans to do so), I seriously doubt that many people will want to spend $150-$200 on an HDPLEX power supply and AC-DC adapter combo, increasing the effective size of the case and lower power delivery in exchange for slightly quieter operation at idle. If I am wrong about this, then HDPLEX support may return again for the few people that want it.

About external bricks making travel easier, this might be true for some other cases that save space inside by not having dedicated PSU space, but this is definitely not true for this particular case. It is objectively easier to transport one case as opposed to said case plus a power brick.

6) Those who dislike the top-mounted power supply can flip the case over and use it like this but I didn't make this an official feature because there is not much of a point in doing so. The next revision will most likely have vents on this face to make this more worthwhile, but it will still be asymmetrical. The only way to make it symmetrical would be to make the central motherboard tray mount to the frame with standoffs that people seemed to universally dislike in the old versions of the case.

7) For the extra money, you get a case that will hold together and one that will be easier to buy. It's a really simple thing that is difficult to provide at a lower price at this particular moment in time. The case is only more expensive than the older version if purchased without the ENP-7660B. If purchased with the ENP-7660B, then they're the same price or cheaper.

About the K39, not sure what you want me to do about this. I'd have to price my cases at like $30 to directly compete against Chinese sellers. There will always be demand for the cheapest and it makes absolutely no sense for me, being based in the United States, to compete for that.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thank you for your understanding. It's actually nice to receive some constructive feedback.

I think that the root of all of your complaints is the need for my company to re-enter the market at this weird time after several months of inactivity. I could just not release these revisions, hope that people would be OK with unaddressed issues in the old cases and hope that people would have enough interest in a delayed revision, discuss revisions online for months with no launch date in sight and hope that no one would steal any ideas. Continuing to sell the old cases would be somewhat of a dead-end strategy because most of my time would have to be spent on manual labor.

The changes in the new revision actually open some simple and interesting possibilities for the future, all of which take time. That could include extra perforation at the top for better cooling (plus a relocated PSU), a vented front panel, shipping the case together with a pre-installed black ENP-7660B PSU with black custom length cables, availability on sites like Amazon, distribution in Europe... lots of things that just wouldn't work with the old designs.

1) The front panel needs to be a minimum of 3 mm thick in order to keep the side panel screws hidden. Any thinner and there would have to be screws on either the side panel or front panel. It's not that much more expensive to make a flat panel 2 mm thicker than the minimum. The previous front panel did have issues, in particular some faint machining marks that would sometimes be left by the press brake near the bends. Not enough to cause complaints, but perhaps enough to make the quality questionable for those outside of the US paying anywhere between 180 USD - 215 USD for it. The only other way to fix those marks would be to only offer a powdercoated finish.

2) I would argue that this is a matter of preference. Aluminum can be anodized to make it feel more expensive to the touch. Steel, on the other hand, is more rigid. Yes, your aluminum NCASE M1 is plenty strong, but it's also over three times the size and doesn't have to deal with the same constraints as this case. The primary reason steel was chosen for the latest revision is that making it out of aluminum with decent structural integrity would make it at least 0.5 L larger, at which point its hardware compatibility for the size would become more questionable. Secondary benefits of using steel in the Velka 3 makes the side panels less prone to deforming, makes it possible to make the flanges on the frame thinner and as a result, just make it easier to work in.

3) I do not have a whole lot to say here. Graphics card compatibility is in fact more strict but the restriction makes it possible to have a more rigid frame.

4) I can't comment much on this because vent geometry preferences are highly personal but I understand that it would make sense to keep the old vent appearance. The smaller hexagonal cutouts should make the case slightly more pleasant to handle, are slightly more open, make the case look a little bit different and that's about it.

5) The HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU does weigh less inside the case, but because it would have to be used with an external AC-DC adapter, this lower weight would be irrelevant to everyone except for those don't need to bring a power brick with them because they already have one at their destination. After the case starts to get bundled with a black ENP-7660B for $100 (and there are plans to do so), I seriously doubt that many people will want to spend $150-$200 on an HDPLEX power supply and AC-DC adapter combo, increasing the effective size of the case and lower power delivery in exchange for slightly quieter operation at idle. If I am wrong about this, then HDPLEX support may return again for the few people that want it.

About external bricks making travel easier, this might be true for some other cases that save space inside by not having dedicated PSU space, but this is definitely not true for this particular case. It is objectively easier to transport one case as opposed to said case plus a power brick.

6) Those who dislike the top-mounted power supply can flip the case over and use it like this but I didn't make this an official feature because there is not much of a point in doing so. The next revision will most likely have vents on this face to make this more worthwhile, but it will still be asymmetrical. The only way to make it symmetrical would be to make the central motherboard tray mount to the frame with standoffs that people seemed to universally dislike in the old versions of the case.

7) For the extra money, you get a case that will hold together and one that will be easier to buy. It's a really simple thing that is difficult to provide at a lower price at this particular moment in time. The case is only more expensive than the older version if purchased without the ENP-7660B. If purchased with the ENP-7660B, then they're the same price or cheaper.

About the K39, not sure what you want me to do about this. I'd have to price my cases at like $30 to directly compete against Chinese sellers. There will always be demand for the cheapest and it makes absolutely no sense for me, being based in the United States, to compete for that.
A 7660b for $100 would be a real game changer in the market.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017

Okay, thank you very much for clearing all of that up. Those were just my first impressions, maybe the new design will grow on me, especially in light of the explanation you've given. I didn't realize the case would cost the same when bundled with the PSU, I thought the new price was much higher all other things being equal. It's definitely a good thing that you won't have to do as much manual work and the case will be be easier to buy. I do look forward to seeing how things progress, especially the bundled PSU, painted and with custom length cables. Thanks again, I appreciate your involvement with the community.

Just a quick follow-up on the PSU -- wouldn't the partial vent be mostly obstructed by the PSU and cables? Have you done tests to determine if it makes a difference with this vent vs. no vent? Perhaps you could have no vent on the PSU side and a partial vent on the other side, so if someone wanted to have a vent they could flip the case to have the PSU at the bottom and open vent on top. And if they didn't want a top vent (for instance with a low-power system, to prevent dust from settling in or just didn't like the look of it), they could flip it and have the PSU on top with no vent.

buffcorrell

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 16, 2020
Hey @VELKASE Michael, would love to go for the Velka 5, but my GPU is about 210mm, is there no way of fitting an additional SSD anywhere? (Velcro included) or will I have to go SFX + Velka 7 for it?
Loving the redesigns otherwise!

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@duynguyenle @MassZERO I will design a 3d printable flex atx to hdplex 400 dc-atx adapter Tonight when I get home.

Edit: got home late last night, I will tonight.

hows does this look? i have it on a slider so you can get it to be better positioned. i made it with enough room for a noctua a40x10

@VELKASE Michael will this fit (specifically the length) i can send you files if that will help.

this is designed with recessed holes at the bottom where a m3 nut will go, a small m3 standoff will attach from the top of the adapter, and then the hdplex will secure onto the standoffs.

a 12.5mm hole for the 7.4x5.0mm Screw-Lock Female DC Jack (calculated at 12.7m for some inaccuracy in printing) and an 8mm hole for other dc barrel jack connectors

i oriented it this specifc way because then the majority of the connectors are on the motherboard side (hopefully providing a cleaner cable management)

edit: to be fully transparent i did take the basic flex atx plate from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3745251/files

edit: i messed up, i will redesign this again. i made the mistake of thinking flex atx psu's were 46mm tall, not 40.5mm tall. @VELKASE Michael how much vertical clearance do i have for someting like this? is it exactly 40.5mm?

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
hows does this look? i have it on a slider so you can get it to be better positioned. i made it with enough room for a noctua a40x10

@VELKASE Michael will this fit (specifically the length) i can send you files if that will help.

this is designed with recessed holes at the bottom where a m3 nut will go, a small m3 standoff will attach from the top of the adapter, and then the hdplex will secure onto the standoffs.

a 12.5mm hole for the 7.4x5.0mm Screw-Lock Female DC Jack (calculated at 12.7m for some inaccuracy in printing) and an 8mm hole for other dc barrel jack connectors

i oriented it this specifc way because then the majority of the connectors are on the motherboard side (hopefully providing a cleaner cable management)

edit: to be fully transparent i did take the basic flex atx plate from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3745251/files

edit: i messed up, i will redesign this again. i made the mistake of thinking flex atx psu's were 46mm tall, not 40.5mm tall. @VELKASE Michael how much vertical clearance do i have for someting like this? is it exactly 40.5mm?

This is very cool, but does it need a fan? Isn't part of the appeal of the HDPlex that it's passively cooled? I'd just make the back solid and put the power connector where the fan is. Honestly, all you really need is the back plate, would make 3D printing much easier.

Woxys

Chassis Packer
Jan 20, 2016
The updated velka 3 would be the perfect case for me if it had the PSU at the bottom (instead of top) and space for 2x 80mm fans as exhaust at the top. Not sure about the reason regarding the lack of top fan support for this version.

Overall I think you're going in the right direction with this update, can't wait to see the next versions of the cases.
When do you think it would be available at EU resellers?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
This is very cool, but does it need a fan? Isn't part of the appeal of the HDPlex that it's passively cooled? I'd just make the back solid and put the power connector where the fan is. Honestly, all you really need is the back plate, would make 3D printing much easier.

I can make a remix like that, but when it comes to ssfpc you can never have too much airflow. ;)

With the design on the velka 3 2.0 with the PSU inverted at the top, I think having a fan blowing air out of the case will be quite beneficial. Not sure if you had taken that Into consideration. I would say they it is especially prevalent since this version no longer has dual 80mm fans at the top)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
big redesign:

EDIT:

design changes

• reduced height to 40.5m to match flex atx spec
  • added 23mm tall lip (matches the height for the connectors that attach to the board) adds rigidity due to its mounted upside down
  • added 2nd slot for sliders, so you can now mount the hdplex either way (some may have clearance issues if the noctua nf-a4x10 is used)
  • slots made deeper (2mm -> 3mm so a m3 nut will fit flush)
  • moved fan to avoid interference with the mounting locations to the case
  • hole added under the fan (needed if the fan is to be present due to the reduced height

currently debating the inclusion of the fan.
  • in most orientations of the hdplex, the fan is between 20-60% obstucted,
  • with how close it is to the hd plex, some turbulance may occur
  • but in sffpc's we need airflow, so i think it will help, especially since they took out the dual 80mm x 10mm fans in the most recent revision
the mounting locations for the ac-dc power may need to be modified moved, (need suggestions!!!)

EDIT 2, should i create a new thread? or is this ok to leave this here @VELKASE Michael (i know you said most people will likely go with the flex psu (which i agree with), but those who have a hdplex might want to go this route)

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You could also include 2.5" drive mounting points, I think with an HDPlex you could mount 2 drives on the GPU side. I could be wrong though.

For the fan, you could do a grill or vent so the fan becomes optional. I'm not sure how well that would work with 3D printing though.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
You could also include 2.5" drive mounting points, I think with an HDPlex you could mount 2 drives on the GPU side. I could be wrong though.

For the fan, you could do a grill or vent so the fan becomes optional. I'm not sure how well that would work with 3D printing though.
I think printing a fan grill speratelywould be better. The orientation this is printed would not be ideal. For the least restrictive 3d printed option, I recommend this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3684120

As for the 2.5"drives they would stick down another 30mm( or about 1.2") beyond the distance of the flex PSU this could interfere with gpu clearance and airflow. (Although Im not sure since not much information has been released about layout and inner pictures)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hey @VELKASE Michael, would love to go for the Velka 5, but my GPU is about 210mm, is there no way of fitting an additional SSD anywhere? (Velcro included) or will I have to go SFX + Velka 7 for it?
Loving the redesigns otherwise!

You can get 212 mm of clearance for the graphics card if you place the second SSD diagonally like this. To keep it in place, you would need a 3d printed bracket attached to the bottom holes. Otherwise, you would need the Velka 7.

EDIT 2, should i create a new thread? or is this ok to leave this here @VELKASE Michael (i know you said most people will likely go with the flex psu (which i agree with), but those who have a hdplex might want to go this route)

I have absolutely no problem with you posting about an HDPLEX adapter here. And to answer your previous question, there is 40.5 mm clearance.

@Nichronos , @QuantumBraced , @Woxys I'll get back to you shortly, sorry about the delay.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I think printing a fan grill speratelywould be better. The orientation this is printed would not be ideal. For the least restrictive 3d printed option, I recommend this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3684120

As for the 2.5"drives they would stick down another 30mm( or about 1.2") beyond the distance of the flex PSU this could interfere with gpu clearance and airflow. (Although Im not sure since not much information has been released about layout and inner pictures)

I see, so with the adapter you would lose 2.5" drive support. This is why I think just a back plate would be better honestly, HDPlex is so easy to mount with double sided tape or velcro, it's really no use bothering with an adapter.

But the beauty of 3D printing is that you're not restricted to one option. So perhaps you could have... 4 versions? 2 versions of the full adapter with and without the 40mm fan mount. And 2 versions of a back plate only with and without the 40mm fan mount. And then people print the one they want.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I see, so with the adapter you would lose 2.5" drive support. This is why I think just a back plate would be better honestly, HDPlex is so easy to mount with double sided tape or velcro, it's really no use bothering with an adapter.

But the beauty of 3D printing is that you're not restricted to one option. So perhaps you could have... 4 versions? 2 versions of the full adapter with and without the 40mm fan mount. And 2 versions of a back plate only with and without the 40mm fan mount. And then people print the one they want.
So after looking at the single image on velka's site showing the ssd location. This will not affect the compatibly with a 7mm thick 2.5" drive. It may even be possible to add another, but I can't tee without better pictures, or a cad drawing or something better showing dimensions

Last edited:

BerGO

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 22, 2020
From where are the cases shipping? I am from germany and have to see about customs if i shiuld get velka 5 plus psu or velka 7. also how much will shipping be to germany? 30 usd?

buffcorrell

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 16, 2020
You can get 212 mm of clearance for the graphics card if you place the second SSD diagonally like this. To keep it in place, you would need a 3d printed bracket attached to the bottom holes. Otherwise, you would need the Velka 7.

Much appreciated! Drives I have are all "top-side" IO so I think this option might not be fore me, will opt for the 7 :)

Looking at the early user manuals (awesome work btw!) there's a couple questions re: rear-mounted M.2 drives:
- Is there enough clearance for a low profile heatsink such as: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black
- Will the ribbon cable be rated to withstand constant high ~70C? (current idling temp for me without heatsink)
- If either of the above is false, would you recommend not installing one?

Reactions: Sziklapeti