Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Quite a few rumors are pointing towards AMD releasing some powerful 8 core APUs later this year.

@VELKASE Michael Do you think it would be possible to use the GPU space in the new Velka 5 to mount a 240mm AiO? The measurements look close enough that with an optional bracket, or perhaps just suitable mounting points added, that this might be a possibility. I was looking at the Alphacool Eisbaer LT 240 in particular.

I also wondered if the Velka 7 would support the Noctua NH-L9 with a 25mm fan. From the specs listed this option looks to be just 1mm too tall, but I did see you mention the possibility of a few millimeters of extra clearance.

Last edited:

Badasser

Cable Smoosher
May 18, 2020
Hey Michael, wondering if you can tell us anything more about the SSD and HDD compatibility of the Velka 7 yet? I was interested in the V5 1.1 for the extra storage space with an ITX-sized card but I’m worried that bracket might’ve been scrapped. Although understandable if it has since it was for a fairly niche use-case. Cheers.

Orelius_Orwell

Case Bender
New User
Oct 6, 2019
There is a bracket that needs to go over the power button on the inside and attach the front plate to the frame. The higher the button is, the higher that bracket would need to be, and that would slightly reduce graphics card clearances.

Time constraints and the lineup seemed incomplete without a case between the original 3 and 5. Velka 3 has received a lot of attention from the press, but suffered from poor power supply compatibility and graphics card compatibility. The power supply availability issue can be easily fixed by just reselling them and the Velka 5 fixes the graphics card compatibility issue. It was also a smaller risk to take compared to making a larger case because up until this point, the Velka 3 has received far more attention than the 5.

I'm still considering making a larger one but there do not seem to be any convenient "sweet spots" in terms of hardware compatibility beyond SFX PSU and full-length graphics card support to use. Increasing CPU cooler clearance beyond 47 mm just allows for a few more coolers comparable to the Black Ridge to be used, and increasing graphics card clearance would require increasing the case size in all three dimensions and quickly increase the size to as much as 10 liters- at which point you have to consider just changing the layout altogether.

I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts on what hardware support is important beyond the standard SFX + 47 mm CPU + full length graphics and what volume to stop at. There seem to be too many options
  • liquid cooling
  • extra CPU air cooler clearance
  • extra graphics card air cooler clearance
  • larger motherboard
  • riser-less layout
Hey Michael,

Maybe a case that supports 3-slot cards with the layout of the Velka 7 would be popular, given how 2-slot GPUs seem to be harder to come by? I would guess it would increase the volume to about ~8L which would still be less than something like the Ghost S1.
Regarding the new case layout, my only real gripe is the reduced GPU clearance. Why did you choose to shift the I/O to the rear, as opposed to simply flipping the case and using a pair of feet? Seems much easier and you avoid loosing GPU clearance and that awkward internal DisplayPort/HDMI extension.
Also, were the 2 USB ports removed?

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
Hey Michael,

I see you did a great progress in improving all your chassis, but something disturbs me...
The GPU i/o is only limited to DisplayPort and HDMI, you should know that all the best potable monitors out there are on USB-C DisplayPort
and with this you really hinders the portability for those chassis! I am extremely happy you preserved the small footprint and dimensions,
but you need to reconsider adding additional USB-C (must be 3.1 to output video) bracket or perhaps leaving a small hole where we can mount one would be great!
Can you please share a picture with what the GPU i/o loos like so perhaps we can think of some way for modding it and mount one ourself , thanks :)
This one is what we need for this to work, and there are also different lengths and angle variations so please tell us what can fit:

Last edited:

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Hey Michael,

I see you did a great progress in improving all your chassis, but something disturbs me...
The GPU i/o is only limited to DisplayPort and HDMI, you should know that all the best potable monitors out there are on USB-C DisplayPort
and with this you really hinders the portability for those chassis! I am extremely happy you preserved the small footprint and dimensions,
but you need to reconsider adding additional USB-C (must be 3.1 to output video) bracket or perhaps leaving a small hole where we can mount one would be great!
Can you please share a picture with what the GPU i/o loos like so perhaps we can think of some way for modding it and mount one ourself , thanks :)
This one is what we need for this to work, and there are also different lengths and angle variations so please tell us what can fit:
There no need for that, you can just use a type-c to full size displayport cable for your portable monitor.

Most GPU's don't come with type-c displayport anyway, so it makes way more sense to have full size on the case and to just use the proper cable.

Reactions: badaaim and Skarum

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
There no need for that, you can just use a type-c to full size displayport cable for your portable monitor.

Most GPU's don't come with type-c displayport anyway, so it makes way more sense to have full size on the case and to just use the proper cable.

No you cant, please don't talk about something you don't know about, thanks!
Here is a picture of what everyone should use for portable monitor called a Lapdock, i am using this for around 2 years now connected to my RTX GPU

Last edited:
Reactions: ExplodingWaffle101

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Do you mean the rectangular black piece I attach to the back?
I'm not no - I couldn't quite understand the process after reading the manual as there was limited instructions for GPU mounting - if you have any more detailed instructions I think I should re-mount the GPU.

There were a few parts that came with the case that I couldn't quite work out how to use so I've been using some rubber tabs as buffers between the panel and the GPU to prevent contact with the case.

In this case, the bottom fan is making contact - if you have anything you can provide to show me the correct mounting technique that would be awesome as I'm fairly certain I've simply not followed all the steps to mounting it correctly.

Sorry, this is not explained in the manual. If only the bottom fan is making contact, then this should resolve it, although I'd suggest keeping your rubber tabs or adding the 2 mm rubber feet that came with the case to the inside of the side panel.

2 M3 screws to screw it in from the inside, and 2 M3 screws to attach the graphics card's IO shield to it. If your bracket is plastic instead of metal (from B stock), it will have a different shape but the same layout.

what's the reasoning behind the large gap in pricing between the Velka 3-RL and regular Velka 3? I was hoping the V3 2.0 wouldn't increase price too much from the base $80 pricing of the previous versions, I preferred the brushed finish on them too. I do think the silver chamfer and lighted power buttons are nice touches though.

The Velka 3-RL is priced like the original riser-less Velka 3 because it does not support discrete graphics. The only thing the 3 and 3-RL versions have in common is the name, and that was done to give the new APU case a more recognizable name.

The revision 2.0 of the Velka 3 is more expensive it will help keep up with demand and because it's a more substantial increase in quality.

gotcha. regarding gpu clearances, I just ordered the Powercolor 5700 ITX from Japan. It's 175mm and the VK3 2.0 case clearance is stated at 173. Is this based on a rectangular prism representing the gpu in Autodesk fusion (or whatever your CAD software of choice)? If the specific GPU has a non-rectangular prism shape (suppose it is beveled), I wonder if the clearance might work? What do you think?

If not for the shape of that bracket, what do you suppose the clearance would be?

That is correct, that clearances form a rectangular bounding box of a sort. In the Velka 3, the graphics card orientation is different, so it will be limited by this piece that completes the frame:

The distance from one side of the case to the very beginning of this bracket is 173 mm, but if the card's shroud is tapered or squeezed in behind it, you get a few extra mm of clearance. I can't guarantee that it will fit, but it looks like it will because it doesn't have a backplate so it's probably relatively thin.

Hey Michael, wondering if you can tell us anything more about the SSD and HDD compatibility of the Velka 7 yet? I was interested in the V5 1.1 for the extra storage space with an ITX-sized card but I’m worried that bracket might’ve been scrapped. Although understandable if it has since it was for a fairly niche use-case. Cheers.

1x 2.5” HDD or SSD (9.5 mm thick)
If graphics card length is below 212 mm:
3x extra 2.5” drives (2x up to 12.5 mm thick, 1x up to 7 mm thick)

It works in a similar way as before, but it will no longer cause any unsightly side panel gaps as it did in rev 1.1.

Hey Michael,

Maybe a case that supports 3-slot cards with the layout of the Velka 7 would be popular, given how 2-slot GPUs seem to be harder to come by? I would guess it would increase the volume to about ~8L which would still be less than something like the Ghost S1.
Regarding the new case layout, my only real gripe is the reduced GPU clearance. Why did you choose to shift the I/O to the rear, as opposed to simply flipping the case and using a pair of feet? Seems much easier and you avoid losing GPU clearance and that awkward internal DisplayPort/HDMI extension.
Also, were the 2 USB ports removed?

The USB rear USB and audio ports have been removed since the main IO from the motherboard is now in the rear.

The feet would have to be 6 cm tall at the very least if the case were to be flipped and accessing the IO would require tilting the case.

Hey Michael,

You would need to use your own USB-C cable, right-angled male to female, and route it through this hole. Alternatively, if you have access to a 3D printer, you could turn one of the DisplayPort or HDMI mounts to a USB-C mount.

The graphics card mounts to this bracket and you have 11mm of space from the graphics card IO shield to the ceiling of the case, so you would have to find a very low profile right-angled cable.

I'd like to eventually implement native support for DisplayPort over USB-C; it's just not possible right now.

That is a MSI GTX1080 Armor, please say that it can fit?

Sorry, it will not fit because the power connectors are not recessed into the board, so they would require around 16 mm extra clearance.

Reactions: ahillelt and Skarum

Zodryn

Case Bender
New User
May 18, 2020
It wasn't mentioned in the announcement, but I'm assuming the Velka 3 2.0 uses the same 300mm li-heat riser cable as the 1.2? Will it be possible to order the 1.2 or 2.0 without the riser if we already have one? I understand including it to simplify things, but it would also suck to have to pay for more risers if you don't need them. Also will we be able to pre-order the 2.0?

Also will modular flex ATX PSU work fine as long as it's 150mm?

Thanks!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
It wasn't mentioned in the announcement, but I'm assuming the Velka 3 2.0 uses the same 300mm li-heat riser cable as the 1.2? Will it be possible to order the 1.2 or 2.0 without the riser if we already have one? I understand including it to simplify things, but it would also suck to have to pay for more risers if you don't need them. Also will we be able to pre-order the 2.0?

Also will modular flex ATX PSU work fine as long as it's 150mm?

Thanks!

There may be a few rev 1.2 cases available without a riser, but all 2.0 cases will come with a riser. The power supply can be modular so long as it is 150 mm long.

Does the Velka 7 support 3-slot GPUs?

Only 2 slot

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
No you cant, please don't talk about something you don't know about, thanks!
Here is a picture of what everyone should use for portable monitor called a Lapdock, i am using this for around 2 years now connected to my RTX GPU
I've literally used that cable to connect a type-c monitor to a GPU without a type-c displayport before, worked flawlessly.

Not sure what you're talking about?

Reactions: Skarum

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
What about 180 degree connectors? That is only 7mm thick and overall is 147mm :(

The only way to make it work would be to re-solder pins perpendicular to the board, which would be pretty adventurous. There is only 140 mm of space, sorry.

Fulldownsize

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 18, 2020
Been waiting for the Velka 7 for the last couple months to finally downsize to ITX. The respositioned IO solves the only problem I foresaw with getting the original Velka 5. I was anticipating grabbing a B550 and an NVIDIA Ampere card when they release though, so I'm a little worried about the internal connectors people have mentioned. I'm new to this so don't know exactly how they work, but I'm imagining some sort of hub that then routes the ports to the holes in the back of the case? Does this mean they won't be easily replaceable like they would be if you just had to swap cables since that piece would only support certain connections, like the currently planned hdmi 2.0?

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
I was trying to find an example of the "white" Velka 3 1.2's. The only photos I see on the website that are at all white-ish look a kind of super light green to my eye, not actually white. Anyone happen to have a photo of what the white velka 3's look like? Or are the greenish ones on the website the "white"?

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Haven't been able to find clear mention or photos, has anyone run an internal HDPLEX 200W combo in the Velka 3?
Considering a sub-200W, 16-series GPU, 3300X on the upcoming B550 board, but would really like to keep everything internal.

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Been waiting for the Velka 7 for the last couple months to finally downsize to ITX. The respositioned IO solves the only problem I foresaw with getting the original Velka 5. I was anticipating grabbing a B550 and an NVIDIA Ampere card when they release though, so I'm a little worried about the internal connectors people have mentioned. I'm new to this so don't know exactly how they work, but I'm imagining some sort of hub that then routes the ports to the holes in the back of the case? Does this mean they won't be easily replaceable like they would be if you just had to swap cables since that piece would only support certain connections, like the currently planned hdmi 2.0?
There's 2 things to look at regarding internal connectors here. The first is the special PCIe riser that I think will allow the GPU to be placed at 90 degree angles in 2 axes from its typical orientation relative to the motherboard. He's listed it as PCIe 3.0x16. This isn't the newest standard, but it's what pretty much everything that is currently out uses, and you'll see very little performance difference for a while yet. I think most GPUs don't even use the full x16 and the 4.0 spec is mostly for storage drives at this point. So that riser should last you through a few more generations yet. I could be wrong here, so others can feel free to correct me.

I think your main question is the cables to move the video outs from the GPU to the back panel. It looks like these wouldn't be a hub, but are simply cables that plug into the graphics card, and route to the back of the case. They're basically extension cables. The port selection is very reasonable too, and he's using the latest standard available on all graphics cards. The only oversight, which is already pointed out, is the exclusion of USB-C/Thunderbolt. but you can work around that, and I wouldn't be surprised if Michael fixes that in a later Rev.

I think these extenders are included with the case. I'm wondering how much of a special order they are. It's going to be a while yet before you start seeing them hamper performance due to newer specs. Possibly even with an RTX3080 Ti or whatever they call the next one.

Reactions: Skarum