Concept Small ATX Case with focus on design - under 18.5 liter!

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Hi guys, long time no see. I am back with a new version of my small form factor ATX case, this time it is this a 3D render, but I will start making a prototype in a week or so :)

The case measures H37.1 cm x D36.6 cm x W13.6 cm = 18.467 liter. So just under 18.5 liter. This case is a little bigger, but the other case had some flaws because of the small 15 liter size. So now SSD's and HDD's can be stored on the back behind the motherboard. Also there is a psu chamber that hides the cable mess.

There is still room for a 240mm AIO, a 28 cm+ long GPU, SFX PSU and it has tempered glass ;)

I would like to hear your opinions and maybe some changes you might have. This is still version 1, and changes will some. Btw, it is important to note that this is a challenge to my self to see what I can do with the hardware I have, so I won't buy something new that mayby fits better ;) But here are some renders!

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
I think you need to watch fan overlap with the mobo on the bottom of the case there. That's where all of my CPU 8-pin connectors are and you can't have things too close. I think if the case was a tad wider to accommodate that, then you could squeeze 4 slots up top for GPU/networking...

Reactions: OliverRH

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015
I love the case idea but cant see the need for ATX when the GPU is ran in vertical and no other slots are able to use the rest of the lanes. Is it to take advantage of more phases for better overclocks? More RAM?

Also, The new RTX GPUs are coming out soon and they have done away with blower style coolers for the most part. Are you going to add a ventilated side panel for the new cards and previous non-blower generations?

Reactions: OliverRH

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
I love the case idea but cant see the need for ATX when the GPU is ran in vertical and no other slots are able to use the rest of the lanes. Is it to take advantage of more phases for better overclocks? More RAM?

Also, The new RTX GPUs are coming out soon and they have done away with blower style coolers for the most part. Are you going to add a ventilated side panel for the new cards and previous non-blower generations?
The reason for having a atx motherboard is becourse that is what i have, I know that a itx is better, maybe some later time. And yes i will make holes for the GPU.
Most people just have one GPU and I personally think the case will get too wide if I make the GPU sit in its slot :)

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
Do you think it is possible to abandon the horizontal radiator? It adds a lot of extra centimeters, whereas the ATX motherboard is already too high. I think you need to use all means to reduce the height, since this is the main problem of the ATX format.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Imo there should be a place for radiator. It is one of the most requested thing in SFF build.

Can the radiator be mounted on the rear? That will reduce the height but will make the case wider.

Another option would be similar to Ncase side bracket but imo that would defeat the purpose of the window side panel (showcase everything).

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
I feel like there is room for another rad in the front if you use an sfx psu. Possible?

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Do you think it is possible to abandon the horizontal radiator? It adds a lot of extra centimeters, whereas the ATX motherboard is already too high. I think you need to use all means to reduce the height, since this is the main problem of the ATX format.
I agree, but I think it is worth it and I only have a AIO so there needs to be room for my needs, and my CPU is heavily overclocked!

Imo there should be a place for radiator. It is one of the most requested thing in SFF build.

Can the radiator be mounted on the rear? That will reduce the height but will make the case wider.

Another option would be similar to Ncase side bracket but imo that would defeat the purpose of the window side panel (showcase everything).
It can be mounted in the rear, but that will make it at least 5-6 cm wider and that is not the form factor I'm going for. My max is 14 cm wide :)

I like it, but what's inside of that black solid part? just wiring?
It is a PSU shroud just in the front, for the SFX PSU and wires :)

I feel like there is room for another rad in the front if you use an sfx psu. Possible?
Good idea, I will look in to that. But I think that it won't make the case smaller, instead bigger

Reactions: SirJack

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
I agree, but I think it is worth it and I only have a AIO so there needs to be room for my needs, and my CPU is heavily overclocked!

But we already have Cerberus X with almost the same dimensions and great functionality. Although, it is still too big to be SFF case.
Why not place the radiator on side: over the the motherboard, just like you did with the videocard? (And also like Cerberus, but in slimmer way).

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
And in this case, you can get rid of the compartment behind the motherboard. Released space can be used for compatibility with triple-slot video cards, since there are so many of them now days.

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Dec 9, 2017
Will this be made available for sale? There are only like 1 or 2 ATX cases that are 'SFF' and your first case looked great.

3ller

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 21, 2018
Have you thought about doing it a little bit wider moving the mobo tray a little bit more to the center, relocating the psu extension and have the possibility of doing a back to back gpu sli posibility, one in front of mobo and one behind? also maybe you can use 280 mm rad in the bottom.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Love it! I would tell users to use longer risers so they can fit some of Silverstone's low-profile M.2 risers into the motherboard...

sfxbajan

Average Stuffer
Dec 4, 2017
And in this case, you can get rid of the compartment behind the motherboard. Released space can be used for compatibility with triple-slot video cards, since there are so many of them now days.
Not only that, most of the new RTX are above 2 slots and the reference card isn't blower style.