Prototype Small ATX Motherbord Case!! (Updated!)

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Good idea... Unless you limit the gpu space to two single slot water-cooled GPUs, the case might go up to 20L.

You mean double (which is 35mm thick if I remember correctly)? watercooled gpus don't need room for airflow just stack them.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You mean double (which is 35mm thick if I remember correctly)? watercooled gpus don't need room for airflow just stack them.
So, with a waterblock each GPU would be 1-slot (ie FE 1080ti), fitting into the 2-slot space normally taken up by a single GPU due to the cooler.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
So, with a waterblock each GPU would be 1-slot (ie FE 1080ti), fitting into the 2-slot space normally taken up by a single GPU due to the cooler.

i think you mean like so (credits @aquelito)

most cards have 2 slot pcie covers so I just call them 2 slot, correct me if that isn't the convention

either way to would occupy 4 slots in total for 70 cm

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
i think you mean like so (credits @aquelito)

most cards have 2 slot pcie covers so I just call them 2 slot, correct me if that isn't the convention

either way to would occupy 4 slots in total for 70 cm
Not really what I meant, but I see the confusion. I'd meant using 2 cards like this:

As it would allow for 2 cards in place of a single card with a 2-slot air cooler. EKWB makes a manifold terminal for this specific multi-GPU arrangement - the result of an [H] member's PCIe bifurcation quest.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Biowarejak : I was aiming at bifurcating two single-slot GPUs at first.

However, the issue is their very limited availability !
The only decent GPU that meets those criterias is the 1080 Ti, which was already out of my reach in 2017 !

I purchased two 1070 Katana and had two prototypes of custom waterblocks made by a small French company.
Both prototypes ended up being two thick by a few mm...

That's the reason why I went for standard dual-slot GPUs. Too complicated or expensive !

@OliverRH : great project :)

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
@Biowarejak : I was aiming at bifurcating two single-slot GPUs at first.

However, the issue is their very limited availability !
The only decent GPU that meets those criterias is the 1080 Ti, which was already out of my reach in 2017 !

I purchased two 1070 Katana and had two prototypes of custom waterblocks made by a small French company.
Both prototypes ended up being two thick by a few mm...

That's the reason why I went for standard dual-slot GPUs. Too complicated or expensive !

@OliverRH : great project :)
Ah, gotcha :) well, I was just aiming to prevent feature-creep, but I understand. What's really nice about that solution is that the end-user really only needs a bifurcated riser, as the case doesn't strictly have to support 4 slots.

Reactions: Nanook

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Great job here... It would be interesting if you could make a name submission poll and let community members add names... Also, given the bit of space you have left, you could mod in a PCIe x4 extension card insertion area for M.2, wifi cards, and other accessories.

Also, if you could provide files, that would be awesome.

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Hi all, long time no see. I have been super busy, but lately I have been thinking and designing a new case, or you could call it a version 2.0. There were a lot of things that I think worked really well with the first design. Mainly the simplicity with the single chamber. But I like a challenge and I have been quite amazed by the Dan A4 and the Ghost S1. Two really impressive cases, that both uses a two-chamber design. So I have designed a new ATX case with two chambers. The main reason, is to split the heat from the CPU (I use an AIO) and GPU. But then as a bonus, it looks better (I think) because it hides the AIO, SSD and HDD, the PSU and all of its cables. This was the first versions biggest weakness.

So I have been designing all day in Fusion 360 and this it what I came up with! Its dimensions are 32 x 29 x 14 cm = 12,99, basically 13 liters :) So it is actually smaller than the first version. And it fits, ATX motherboard, sfx/sfx-LPSU, most two slots GPU, one 3,5" and two 2,5" HDD/SSD and the most important (the hardest thing to get fitted and designed) the AIO. I hope to make a custom water cooling setup at a point in time. There is room for a pump and reservoir or some kind of combination. But yeah, here is some early renders. So there is still a lot to do, like ventilation and so on.
I hope to make a prototype soon.

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Very interesting design. Custom Case MODs had a similar idea in the TX12 AIO. I wonder how the radiator tubing and the PSU connectors will work as the current renders don't seem to have many holes between the two chambers.

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Very interesting design. Custom Case MODs had a similar idea in the TX12 AIO. I wonder how the radiator tubing and the PSU connectors will work as the current renders don't seem to have many holes between the two chambers.
I have made a very early prototype to see how the radiator tubes would fit. They could ride along the edge and between the ram. But it need more designing. Custom water cooling seems the most pratical way, since you are more in control over the tubes and its length :)
The PSU cables have no problem in the prototype :)

jonasfehr

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 27, 2019
Hi all, long time no see. I have been super busy, but lately I have been thinking and designing a new case, or you could call it a version 2.0. There were a lot of things that I think worked really well with the first design. Mainly the simplicity with the single chamber. But I like a challenge and I have been quite amazed by the Dan A4 and the Ghost S1. Two really impressive cases, that both uses a two-chamber design. So I have designed a new ATX case with two chambers. The main reason, is to split the heat from the CPU (I use an AIO) and GPU. But then as a bonus, it looks better (I think) because it hides the AIO, SSD and HDD, the PSU and all of its cables. This was the first versions biggest weakness.

So I have been designing all day in Fusion 360 and this it what I came up with! Its dimensions are 32 x 29 x 14 cm = 12,99, basically 13 liters :) So it is actually smaller than the first version. And it fits, ATX motherboard, sfx/sfx-LPSU, most two slots GPU, one 3,5" and two 2,5" HDD/SSD and the most important (the hardest thing to get fitted and designed) the AIO. I hope to make a custom water cooling setup at a point in time. There is room for a pump and reservoir or some kind of combination. But yeah, here is some early renders. So there is still a lot to do, like ventilation and so on.
I hope to make a prototype soon.

Hi, Nice concept and work. Would you by chance share your fusion file?
Kind regards
Jonas

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
I know this is an old thread, but I really do think the console style slim tower format would benefit the new RTX 3000 series cards very well ion air cooled setups due to the straight path past through venting. A lot of cases these days are sandwich style which are the best in terms of volume/power ratio, but are just not my cup of tea. Any update on this case?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but I really do think the console style slim tower format would benefit the new RTX 3000 series cards very well ion air cooled setups due to the straight path past through venting. A lot of cases these days are sandwich style which are the best in terms of volume/power ratio, but are just not my cup of tea. Any update on this case?
There exist several console-style pass-through cases that are ideal for the FE cards, like the Sliger Console/Conswole or the SFFtime P-ATXv2. Be aware that the flow-through cooler is (for the most part) only an FE thing, and that most of the OEM cards are standard triple-fan designs. Unless you already own an FE card (which seem like they will be hard to come by for a while), don't buy your case on that alone.

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
Still, I'd argue that the adding fans behind the GPU to vent out the hot air immediately would benefit FE style and triple fan cards. Would be nice if data was available regarding temps on console vs sandwich design SFF cases. GPUs and CPUs seem to get hotter and hotter and I think that console cases offer more air cooling potential.