Prototype Small ATX Motherbord Case!! (Updated!)

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Great looking case and I love the support for ATX as well as the standing GPU in such a small form factor. I would like to see vent holes that are a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but that's largely a subjective matter.

I haven't seen mention of drives. I see that there is a hard drive. Will it support SSDs? What's the count for 2.5" and 3.5" drives. 1 of each? 2 of each?

Also, what are your next steps? Are you looking at fine-tuning some?

Reactions: Biowarejak

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Great looking case and I love the support for ATX as well as the standing GPU in such a small form factor. I would like to see vent holes that are a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but that's largely a subjective matter.

I haven't seen mention of drives. I see that there is a hard drive. Will it support SSDs? What's the count for 2.5" and 3.5" drives. 1 of each? 2 of each?

Also, what are your next steps? Are you looking at fine-tuning some?
Thanks, and yes this is just a prototype, a final design would be much more aesthetically pleasing ;)
The bottom has place for two 3.5 inch drives and one 2.5 inch. The ideal setup would be two 120mm fans for intake and then two (maybe even three) 2.5 inch SSD's!
But my focus looking forward would be the design ;)

Frazhna

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
I love the way the graphics card is being shown off. I love that it is made for SFX power supplies. I feel like so many cases want to include support for full sized ATX power supplies, and that just wastes so much space. I'm with @Biowarejak, I would like to see it oriented so that everything isn't upside-down. I also wonder if there would be room for a couple of fans below the graphics card to bring in fresh air from the bottom if the orientation was inverted.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Great case and very appealing.

Can anyone explain to me, why all these compact cases end up being inverted? Why is being converted save space? I would love this case, but I would want it "normal" oriented.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Great case and very appealing.

Can anyone explain to me, why all these compact cases end up being inverted? Why is being converted save space? I would love this case, but I would want it "normal" oriented.
Having the PSU lower is generally preferable, but otherwise sometimes the designer just happens to have the case sit on one side of the desk or another and plans as such. :)

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Long time no see.. I have been busy and not a whole lot has change since. But I have made some design tweeks to the front of my case, so I wanted to share that

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Personally, I prefer the slim, minimalistic/industrial look of the previous design. But hey, it is your case. :p

Btw, have you tested the airflow? With such a compact system, do you really get enough airflow? Are temps good? Some people have been complaining about poor airflow and heat issues in the Lian Li PC-O5S, and that is a larger case with "open air" design (according to Lian Li)

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Personally, I prefer the slim, minimalistic/industrial look of the previous design. But hey, it is your case. :p

Btw, have you tested the airflow? With such a compact system, do you really get enough airflow? Are temps good? Some people have been complaining about poor airflow and heat issues in the Lian Li PC-O5S, and that is a larger case with "open air" design (according to Lian Li)

Thank you, but I just wanted something different. The temps are really good, but this is with the sidepanel off. I haven't made holes on the top and bottom, so that's why. But even tho the side panel is off, the temps are still better than my old mid case with its sids panel off. I hope to make a version 2 of the case soon, but time is short.

Reactions: owliwar and Nasp

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Any plans to sell or are you building for yourself?
This was originally just a project build for myself because I was tired of the big and clonky atx case i had (Cooler Master 690 ii advanced). But I like the idea of selling, I just need a lot more tweeking and then I have to make a version in metal rather than wood. But feel free to write suggestions for changes :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
This was originally just a project build for myself because I was tired of the big and clonky atx case i had (Cooler Master 690 ii advanced). But I like the idea of selling, I just need a lot more tweeking and then I have to make a version in metal rather than wood. But feel free to write suggestions for changes :)
How are you holding the GPU in place?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
I'm totally in the market for something like this.

Some thoughts that came into my mind looking at it:

1. Would it be possible to squeeze in half-height expansion slots beneath the GPU full-height slot?

2. How is the PSU/GPU breathing right up against the glass/acrylic?

3. (Guy above asked this), but how is the GPU resting?

4. Looks like it needs a bit of venting on the I/O side because I'd be using those 2 front slots as intake and I'm not sure where an exhaust is.

5. How do you feel about other PSU form factors? TFX, Flex ATX? May allow for some CPU air-cooling potential.

It looks great, better than most things on the market already and it's just a prototype.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
One minor thing, if you increase the height a little I think you can be flexible between having 2 hard drive mounts and or an extra 240 radiator.

If you are going to put this on sale you can add a second GPU slot behind the first for matx byilds. I think a case with 2x 240 rad, 2x water cooled GPU slots and space above the mb for custom loop all under 16L will take off.

See if that fits your vision :)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
One minor thing, if you increase the height a little I think you can be flexible between having 2 hard drive mounts and or an extra 240 radiator.

If you are going to put this on sale you can add a second GPU slot behind the first for matx byilds. I think a case with 2x 240 rad, 2x water cooled GPU slots and space above the mb for custom loop all under 16L will take off.

See if that fits your vision :)
Good idea... Unless you limit the gpu space to two single slot water-cooled GPUs, the case might go up to 20L.