Prototype SFFtime presents: U-ITX - 7L lightweight console case that fits 3slot GPUs

zouldier

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 4, 2023
I've been looking for a console-type case for quite some time now but most of the available in the market are a little too wide for my requirement. This project seems to be the answer as it falls EXACTLY on the dimensions that I needed.

Closely watching the progress of this to become one of the future owners of this case!

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
So how is the testing going so far?
I'm still very excited on this project.

Thanks, still need to tweak some minor stuff but not looking too bad currently :) Will share more info when I am back from the trip.

I've been looking for a console-type case for quite some time now but most of the available in the market are a little too wide for my requirement. This project seems to be the answer as it falls EXACTLY on the dimensions that I needed.

Closely watching the progress of this to become one of the future owners of this case!

Thanks, glad you like it!

Reactions: play150 and DaHans

play150

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 20, 2023
If I wanted to order dust filters (e.g., demcifilter.com) for each side of the case, what size would you recommend?

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Now, this could always change at any time... but I'm pretty sure I'm personally skipping the ada generation, I'll definitely be eyeing this case once the next round of releases come out. Being able to stick to 7 liters and gain 3 slots.... I still do not know how you achieved that. (edit: Oh ok I know. it's because an extra slot for GPU is a bit under one liter and velka 7 is actually only 6 liters haha)

One thing I'll note, when I look at my velka 7 it is very optimized on space and if it were any thinner (and this is basically exactly a velka 7 with its sandwich unfolded) it needs a stand to provide it with stability from tipping over. I see a stand is part of the design but my question is how is it attached and how easily mounted/removed is it? This has a large impact on portability for travel.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Now, this could always change at any time... but I'm pretty sure I'm personally skipping the ada generation, I'll definitely be eyeing this case once the next round of releases come out. Being able to stick to 7 liters and gain 3 slots.... I still do not know how you achieved that. (edit: Oh ok I know. it's because an extra slot for GPU is a bit under one liter and velka 7 is actually only 6 liters haha)

One thing I'll note, when I look at my velka 7 it is very optimized on space and if it were any thinner (and this is basically exactly a velka 7 with its sandwich unfolded) it needs a stand to provide it with stability from tipping over. I see a stand is part of the design but my question is how is it attached and how easily mounted/removed is it? This has a large impact on portability for travel.

It is very quick and easy to remove :)

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
How difficult is PIO motherboard support? It's basically just providing alternate standoff locations and mirroring the rear cutouts. If the rear panel was separate it could accommodate both. I'm just sitting on 2 PIO boards waiting for enough shop space to make a custom case 😆

Reactions: Arboreal

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
not very likely I am afraid, everything is already pretty tight and I have barely managed to fit everything in this space, any further changes would upset the balance most likely :|

neiru37

Chassis Packer
Feb 29, 2020
Question: Theoretically, would this custom watercool build work:

- Slim 1 slot GPU backplate like the Alphacool ES Geforce RTX 4090
- Dual fan radiator (240 or 280mm) 20-25mm thick + fans, 15-25mm thick
- HDPLEX 500 + 250 PSU
- CPU pump block combo like Mod Ultra Lobo or Alphacool Eisbaer LT

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Question: Theoretically, would this custom watercool build work:

- Slim 1 slot GPU backplate like the Alphacool ES Geforce RTX 4090
- Dual fan radiator (240 or 280mm) 20-25mm thick + fans, 15-25mm thick
- HDPLEX 500 + 250 PSU
- CPU pump block combo like Mod Ultra Lobo or Alphacool Eisbaer LT

If you can fit the psu behind the GPU, than probably yeah :)

Reactions: DaHans

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
I am afraid that that is just too thick, tolerance is really small so you should stick to a true 1 slot block.
I'm back with a odd possibility that this could work... I was discussing the U-ITX with a person last night and it hit me. What if I shrunk the radiator and fan thicknesses and perhaps gave it some more room? Fans I aim for are the Nidec Nvidia GPU fans(supposedly 12.5mm thick), and probably a slim 240mm. Would that perhaps work?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I'm back with a odd possibility that this could work... I was discussing the U-ITX with a person last night and it hit me. What if I shrunk the radiator and fan thicknesses and perhaps gave it some more room? Fans I aim for are the Nidec Nvidia GPU fans(supposedly 12.5mm thick), and probably a slim 240mm. Would that perhaps work?
Issue is the psu thickness, can shrink that one unfortunately...