Prototype SFFtime presents: U-ITX - 7L lightweight console case that fits 3slot GPUs

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
I agree. Imo, a huuuge missed opportunity. I would pay extra for the white colour. And a deposit!
What about on the bottom, next to the power button? On my Dan A4-SFX, I find the front port invaluable for plugging in peripherals. (Especially since all my rear ports are taken up by other stuff.)

That's a shame... white not selling well? The P-ATX in white is one of the most striking SFF cases IMO.

Reactions: RobnDub

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
There is always the option to paint it white on your own. ;)

Do you make email notifications again? Because mine didn't work. Maybe I will resubscribe.
Technically I almost refreshed your website everyday since you said the P-ATX will come around January. :D

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
if you set a price that’s “market rate” at most and it comes in white, I’ll buy one immediately once it’s available on your website.

Thanks, glad you like it!

Regarding the market price, that could be very relative considering the average pricing of small batch SFF cases, but in any case it will be lower than P-ATX.

I am really not sure about the white.

There is always the option to paint it white on your own. ;)

Do you make email notifications again? Because mine didn't work. Maybe I will resubscribe.
Technically I almost refreshed your website everyday since you said the P-ATX will come around January. :D

Hmm they should work, maybe you can trigger it again just to be sure?

In January we launched another batch of N-ATX V2, and current batch of P-ATX V3 was available from April 22nd to yesterday. But don't worry, it is not sold out yet, it will be available again on June 2nd, I am just going out of country for a few weeks.

Reactions: DaHans

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021

Regarding the market price, that could be very relative considering the average pricing of small batch SFF cases, but in any case it will be lower than P-ATX.

I am really not sure about the white.

In January we launched another batch of N-ATX V2, and current batch of P-ATX V3 was available from April 22nd to yesterday. But don't worry, it is not sold out yet, it will be available again on June 2nd, I am just going out of country for a few weeks.
Oh, that’s great if it’s more affordable than the P-ATX. As for your case being offered in white, I sent you an email through your info@sff address.

I’m so happy someone is finally working on a 7L triple slot GPU case! The next smallest case that sort of matches these specs is the XQ69 Dr. Zaber clone, which is 7.5L and fits 2.5 slot cards.

Kreasu

Chassis Packer
Mar 27, 2022
This looks amazing! It's too bad I need to use an atx board because of having a requirement for thunderbolt, would hope to see some gpu sizing modularity in the patx / natx size

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018

I did it again to be sure. :)

I know and I ordered a P-ATX right away when you chenged the website. It was just me being nervous not to miss to order one or being to late.
I'm waitnig for the u-itx now..
Safe travels! :)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I did it again to be sure. :)

I know and I ordered a P-ATX right away when you chenged the website. It was just me being nervous not to miss to order one or being to late.
I'm waitnig for the u-itx now..
Safe travels! :)

Great to hear and thank you a lot!

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Man, this is great. I have been in the market for something like that for way too many years, that I gave up a while ago and spent my money somewhere else. So, I don't have any budget for any new project these days. But that may change in the future. So, I will look forward to the future of this case as I may eventually come back for it!

I have two pieces of feedback that I would love to give:
  1. I am sure this has been discussed to death. However, I do not have much confidence in the rigidity of 1mm aluminum panels. I have always adored the sentry for its sleek look, while also retaining a very rigid steel structure that can actually withstand the usage it was created for. This is a case primarily suited for portability after all. I am aware that steel is heavier and thus more expensive to ship out. But not fearing for the safety of the parts inside after seeing the slightest of pressure applied to it, is even more crucial in my opinion.
  2. I acknowledge the inherent limitations of this sort of volume. But I still can not get over the lack of any front IO. Even one (I know it's two at minimum) USB 3.0 would increase the level of convenience by quite a bit. This is how desperately important front IO can potentially be, at least for some people out there.
Also, white > black any day, sorry :p But I am not going to buy the case. At least not right away when it's released. So, my opinion is kind of void there.

Reactions: er_wink

CLDA_comp

Cable Smoosher
Mar 9, 2023
In the standard configuration with either the big GPU or short GPU, is there a reason you couldn't use a 90-degree riser card instead of a riser cable? I know you mentioned that your configuration was chosen to pull air for the CPU and GPU from the same side, but does it have to? I think the riser card is a little more compact than having to route a riser cable.

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone,

I am really proud to announce the new SFFtime case called U-ITX. It brings the familiar SFFtime design into a smaller volume of just 7 liters, but still has the space and compatibility suitable to fit top end gaming hardware.
It is also designed for maximum weight reduction and the case chassis weighs less than 800g! This along with small volume and footprint allows for easy transport and won't occupy much of your desk space.

This case was not easy to design, this is the 3rd iteration designed completely from zero even before the first prototype. I wasn't satisfied with earlier revisions so I had to scrap them and start from zero three times. It was really tricky to space optimize for this kind of volume and compatibility and every mm was crucial and well utilized.

Even with such small volume, airflow was not sacrificed so it will be able to cool every piece of hardware you can fit. Speaking of which, this case was designed to fit RTX4090 founders edition, so max 3slots thick and 305mm long GPUs should fit. But it also has a party trick, front mask can be offset using standoffs so you can increase the maximum GPU length.

It can also fit CPU coolers up to 50mm tall, so there is some clearance if you are using 47mm tall coolers and you shouldn't get bad turbulence.
On the motherboard and PSU side it can fit ITX boards and SFX/SFX-L supplies.

In the following picture you can see some extra optional configurations, including:

1 - standard config with a big GPU
2 - AIO config with an ITX sized GPU
3 - APU config with no dGPU and 240mm AIO
4 - borderline DIY config with an ATX motherboard, 2slot GPU and a HDplex 400w PSU

Basic specifications are as follows:

- 7 L volume with 308 x 335 x 68 mm outer dimensions

- console style case with CPU and GPU fans in the same orientation for optimal airflow

- vertically mounted GPU

- support for 3 slot GPU's up to 306 mm long and 140 mm tall

- support for ITX motherboards

- CPU air coolers up to 50 mm tall

- SFX power supplies up to 130 mm long

- mount for 120/240 mm AIO in certain configurations

- back of motherboard accessible for cooler and M.2 installation

- support for up to three 2.5" hard drives

- fully aluminum lightweight construction (0.8 kg weight with 1 mm thick panels)

- inverted layout option

- narrow footprint - 100 mm wide with included stand

I already inspected the prototype, looks good and tolerances are fine. I am just waiting for a new CPU cooler and for it to be powdercoated before I test it with working components.

Now of course, this model is not as sturdy as its bigger brothers since it uses 1mm panels but once all the panels are closed it is sturdy enough. One of the reasons I used more panel screws than I usually do.

One of the big benefits of it being lightweight is that it will most likely have less than 2kg of weight for the whole package, which means much lower shipping cost (< $20) :)

As usual, I would like to hear your feedback and answer any questions, and huge thanks for reading!
This looks interesting, compact, while still able to support decent gaming hardware. Great work as always SFFtime

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Man, this is great. I have been in the market for something like that for way too many years, that I gave up a while ago and spent my money somewhere else. So, I don't have any budget for any new project these days. But that may change in the future. So, I will look forward to the future of this case as I may eventually come back for it!

I have two pieces of feedback that I would love to give:
  1. I am sure this has been discussed to death. However, I do not have much confidence in the rigidity of 1mm aluminum panels. I have always adored the sentry for its sleek look, while also retaining a very rigid steel structure that can actually withstand the usage it was created for. This is a case primarily suited for portability after all. I am aware that steel is heavier and thus more expensive to ship out. But not fearing for the safety of the parts inside after seeing the slightest of pressure applied to it, is even more crucial in my opinion.
  2. I acknowledge the inherent limitations of this sort of volume. But I still can not get over the lack of any front IO. Even one (I know it's two at minimum) USB 3.0 would increase the level of convenience by quite a bit. This is how desperately important front IO can potentially be, at least for some people out there.
Also, white > black any day, sorry :p But I am not going to buy the case. At least not right away when it's released. So, my opinion is kind of void there.

Hi, glad you like it!

1. I am fully aware of this and it was a conscious tradeoff, but still once you have the panels on it is rigid enough and the weight benefit is huge. If we are talking about portability, weight is number one imho and if the case is too heavy you will have a bad time transporting it. This one is 0.8kg, and Sentry is around 3kg (not sure on the exact number, I have to weigh it) so it is huge difference, a gamechanger for portability.

2. Yeah I get that totally, it is a compromise for sure but I think that for this type of a case most people would appreciate 10-15 USD lower price in exchange for no front USB-C connector, since the whole case is 30cm long and rear IO is easy to reach.

In any case I really appreciate your feedback and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

In the standard configuration with either the big GPU or short GPU, is there a reason you couldn't use a 90-degree riser card instead of a riser cable? I know you mentioned that your configuration was chosen to pull air for the CPU and GPU from the same side, but does it have to? I think the riser card is a little more compact than having to route a riser cable.

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't like that layout, imho this one is more space efficient, more flexible and has better thermals.

This looks interesting, compact, while still able to support decent gaming hardware. Great work as always SFFtime

Thank you a lot, really appreciate it!

Reactions: rfarmer

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Hi, glad you like it!

1. I am fully aware of this and it was a conscious tradeoff, but still once you have the panels on it is rigid enough and the weight benefit is huge. If we are talking about portability, weight is number one imho and if the case is too heavy you will have a bad time transporting it. This one is 0.8kg, and Sentry is around 3kg (not sure on the exact number, I have to weigh it) so it is huge difference, a gamechanger for portability.

2. Yeah I get that totally, it is a compromise for sure but I think that for this type of a case most people would appreciate 10-15 USD lower price in exchange for no front USB-C connector, since the whole case is 30cm long and rear IO is easy to reach.

In any case I really appreciate your feedback and thank you for sharing your thoughts!
1. I'm sure you've already populated your prototypes with a fully working system, right? If so, have you tried applying a reasonable amount of pressure or simulating some kind of distributed weight to the side panels, such as placing them in a backpack or something similar? These are the kind of tests that should be repeatedly carried out to ensure the full safety of the computer components. Otherwise, I definitely agree that light weight is an absolute boon towards this form factor.

2. Really? If you were to ask me, I would say that 90% of the people buying this case would not mind a $10-15 increase for something so crucial. Think about it. Solving this issue with a USB hub will require the same amount of money, plus the added 'bonus' of a hub and cable clutter. Who would ever prefer that over a clean integrated solution? But hey, if you are firm on that decision, then it is what it is. It will still be fine.

Regardless, I will be looking forward to its glorious release :)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
1. I'm sure you've already populated your prototypes with a fully working system, right? If so, have you tried applying a reasonable amount of pressure or simulating some kind of distributed weight to the side panels, such as placing them in a backpack or something similar? These are the kind of tests that should be repeatedly carried out to ensure the full safety of the computer components. Otherwise, I definitely agree that light weight is an absolute boon towards this form factor.

2. Really? If you were to ask me, I would say that 90% of the people buying this case would not mind a $10-15 increase for something so crucial. Think about it. Solving this issue with a USB hub will require the same amount of money, plus the added 'bonus' of a hub and cable clutter. Who would ever prefer that over a clean integrated solution? But hey, if you are firm on that decision, then it is what it is. It will still be fine.

Regardless, I will be looking forward to its glorious release :)

Still waiting on some stuff and for powdercoating to do a full build but on first look it seems ok. I will of course report back once I know more. Thanks :)

Looks cool. Where's the power button located and will you be shipping to EU?
I too would vote for at least an option for front usb.

Thanks, glad you like it.

Power button is on the bottom right behind the front panel, and I ship worldwide from Croatia, EU :)

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Oh this looks super close to the perfect case for my living room! Will definitely follow this closely. That being said:

- Is the case also meant to be used horizontally? All shots I've seen so far are vertical.
- The lack of front I/O (sorry to bring this up again) is very annoying for HTPC use cases. If the case sits under your TV and you are in the couch, it makes a huge difference if the keyboard/mouse wireless receiver has direct line of sight vs when it's plugged in the back of the case.
- 100% agree with the decision to go for the long flexible riser. I assume this means the case should be compatible with the Alpenfohn Black Ridge? That cooler usually doesn't work in cases with fixed risers.

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Oh this looks super close to the perfect case for my living room! Will definitely follow this closely. That being said:

- Is the case also meant to be used horizontally? All shots I've seen so far are vertical.
- The lack of front I/O (sorry to bring this up again) is very annoying for HTPC use cases. If the case sits under your TV and you are in the couch, it makes a huge difference if the keyboard/mouse wireless receiver has direct line of sight vs when it's plugged in the back of the case.
- 100% agree with the decision to go for the long flexible riser. I assume this means the case should be compatible with the Alpenfohn Black Ridge? That cooler usually doesn't work in cases with fixed risers.

- yeah horizontal will work no problem, we sell stick on 3M feet for a few $ extra
- I get that yeah, although I would still opt for a USB hub, you get both A type ports and more than one. I think it is better option compared to one type C with a nasty adapted to A hanging from the front panel the whole time
- yeah that is correct, BR should work